Thread: Internal Error #4238. Translation Canceled!

Hybrid View

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Question Internal Error #4238. Translation Canceled!

Anyone have any insight into this error? I'm trying to sync my BB 7510 with my corporate Lotus Notes. I can sync my Address Book, Tasks, and Memos without issue. I know those three items are stored locally vs. calendar which is on the server.

After choosing "Synchronize now", Intellisync chugs for a while....reading about 900 items (out of 1400) from "Lotus Notes 5.0 Calendar" and then dies with the following error:

"Intellisync

A Lotus Notes Error has occurred! Please see the log for further details!"

Upon checking the log, I see the #4238 error but can't really find any information regarding the cause.

The IT guy at work had no clue. He's never setup a BlackBerry before and was basically reading instructions that someone gave him....so he was of no use at all when we hit this "snag."

Here's some information:
    Device - BlackBerry 7510 v3.7.1.22 (platform 1.2.0.26)
    RIMDeviceManager - 3.6.1.6
    BBDevMgr - 1.0.0.19
    Lotus Notes - R5.0.10
    Last edited by bpdunsta; 05-08-2004 at 12:46 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OK - here are some generic trouble shooting ideas, unfortunately I've never used Notes.

First - delete the directory in C:\Documents and Settings\<<userID>>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

Second - does Notes use some sort of profile to store information on how to get to the Domino server. I am trying to come up with an analogy for the Outlook Profile, which tends to get screwy with the Desktop Manager software.

Third - are you running the latest Desktop Manager (3.6.2.9)?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    OK, Can you make a local replica of your mail file, then put Notes in a disconnected location, and make sure your address book's location document points to the full path of the mail file?

They try syncing the calendar again.

Or. increase the verbosity of the intellisync log and see if it is tripping up on an entry in the calendar. Delete that entry and try again. From my experience though, a 4238 error usually involves location problems.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Resolved?

As I mentioned before, I had been having issues connecting to my company's BlackBerry server. Well, this morning, I connected and my calendar synced just fine....and I was finally able to "tweak" some of the email settings (emails had been getting pushed to my BB since Friday, but since I wasn't "connected" to the BB server, I could not get into the Redirector Settings).

So, being such a rook to BB, I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but I am now able to sync my calendar without errors.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great!

Glad you got it working. Realize though, that the Blackberry doesn't automatically sync the calendar with the server (not wireless sync). Intellisync will pull calendar entries from the mail file specified in your location document, whether it be local or on server. Make sure your run it from the same location each time or you could get duplicates.

I would recommend you always sync with the local replica for memo, to-dos, and address book. It is much faster.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Again, I'm a rookie so I apologize if I just don't get this stuff yet, but, in Intellisync, my calendar is setup to sync with the "BlackBerry Wireless Sync" translator, not directly with Lotus Notes (like Address Book, Memos, and To-Dos).

Feedback Score

Internal Error 4238 Translation Canceled

I received this similar error with Blackberry Pearl and Outlook synchronization. The problem was because I moved my outlook.pst file from one folder to another on my pc. To fix this error in the Blackberry Desktop Manager, click

select the Configuration tab
    [Configure synchronization]
    Highlight EACH item you are synchronizing one at a time and do all of the following:

[Choose]
    Click [Browse] in folder name section
    Click on the selected folder
    Click [Remove]
    Reselect the folder in the top portion and click [Add]
    Click [Ok]

Once you do this, the synchronization should work again. It will still hang up and not start the synchronization on any folder it cannot find. Try synchronizing one item at a time to isolate the issue.