Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you get if u were me? AT&T or Cingular?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

What would you get if u were me? AT&T or Cingular?

I live in Union New Jersy, and I work in New York City. I need a share plan with two phones.

I am going crazy trying to figure out which company to go with, ATT or Cingular. I know about the merger, and I know that Cingular will be selling some networks to TMobile and that Cingular will be using mostly ATT network combined with what they have.

The plans are kinda close, but ATT has a slight price advantage if I go with their local (dont travel) 39.99 +9.99 (shared line) 700 anytime, ul m2m and nights and weekends. But I would have to go with a 2 yr agreement, Cingular I would be paying like $10 more a month for their cingular nation 450 family talk with an additional phone, only 5000 night and weekend minutes, but it has rollover and a 1 yr agreement. And both plans nights start at 9 cause they are one of the lower priced plans.

Either plans I would be getting the V600 as the main phone, and cingular the V400 for second phone, and ATT second phone I have not decided yet.

So that is my dilema, I have heard that ATT (GSM of course) is very good in my town, and I am sure that Cingular is as well. I just cant make up my ×××× mind.

I guess I am looking for pros and cons for going with either once the merger is done etc. etc.

Thanks!!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would go with AT&T Wireless, hands down! They have better coverage than Cingular in North NJ but after the merger, it won't make any difference because Cingular customers will get the AWS network benefit. So you can either get AWS good coverage now by sigining up with AWS, or you can get it after the merger by choosing Cingular now. You decide.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    Nokia 3590 (I Hate You)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I would go with Cingular. I wouldn't want a att branded phone with a different service. Att is going to become Cingular, so i would rather get a Cingular phone. I wish att would stay like it is now. They could both share their networks. Since Cingular bought out att, I would choose Cingular

Device(s)
    Nokia Mural 6750 (current)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could say Cingular, but the Cingular/TMo network is very hole-y in northern NJ, until they open up roaming with AT&T and/or complete the merger with AT&T, you probably won't be satisfied. If you want, you could always try Cingular and just return the phone within 14 days if you're not satisfied ( you just pay activation and a monthly charge ), but you'll probably save yourself grief for the next 6 months by going with AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the responses and honest answers, looks like I will be going with my first instinct which was ATT.

Thanks again!!

and please, if anyone else has some more to say please post a response.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 [32gb]
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    My g/f lives in Booton, NJ (next to Morristown) and I get perfect signal when I visit her. I have Cingular GSM Nation.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Of course, as long as you are 1/4 mile from a tower you should be ok.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by DeltaOne81
    I wish I could say Cingular, but the Cingular/TMo network is very hole-y in northern NJ, until they open up roaming with AT&T and/or complete the merger with AT&T
    Do you think it would be a good idea, to make an option (until the merger) to pay more money and be able to roam on AT&T...

[my father thinks so.. he's about to pay an ETF, and go to Verizon, since he used to be with AT&T and hates the customer service...]

Device(s)
    Motorola V600 with HS810 headset
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mendel
    Do you think it would be a good idea, to make an option (until the merger) to pay more money and be able to roam on AT&T...

[my father thinks so.. he's about to pay an ETF, and go to Verizon, since he used to be with AT&T and hates the customer service...]
    Do me a favor and never, ever mention this again. Ever.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by nxtw
    Do me a favor and never, ever mention this again. Ever.
    I'm sorry, I just can’t help it, when it hits me in the face daily, when my phone (and the phones of friends I sent to Cingular) don’t get the service they deserve...

(My father blames me, since he knows very little about cell phones, he relied on me fully)

so yes, you are right about being pissed at me, for always mentioning it, but if your phone would not work on campus... and hardly work at your home, I think you might also bring it up..

(Remember I did not start a new thread on this issue, this thread was discussing North Jersey/NYC (how bad the service is...) so I merely added as a suggestion, that they should give us the option to pay extra for AT&T roaming)

(Please no rants...)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would go w/ att for now just because thye have better price plans and are doing anything to lure a customer in
    PIN:3111AAC4

Device(s)
    Motorola V600 with HS810 headset
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mendel
    so I merely added as a suggestion, that they should give us the option to pay extra for AT&T roaming)
    Chances are, the costs for actually setting this up so it's possible for customers to opt in for this would be more than the amount of money Cingular would make from the termination fees of those who would know about it. And if they decided to advertise it, they'd still spend more on advertising than they would from people paying extra for roaming... so it's probably not worth it for Cingular.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I'd go with AT&T. I'd also ask on the AT&T forum for a suggestion about your secondary phone.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well I went with ATT, it just barely works in my house. I was able to try a cingular phone in my house and it didnt work at all. I also drove around town with Cingular and the ATT had much better service. And of course their plans are a bit cheaper.

Strangest thing is Sprint has worked flawlessly here for six years, then one day about a month ago it just stopped working. Tmobile doesnt work, Cingular no worky, sprint works barely in like one room, Verizon sorta works and ATT works only in my bedroom and office.

Something strange must have happened in my area that caused major disruptions as all of the companies have problems. Cable guys nextel would not work either.

I am in a dead zone and it sucks

again, thanks all for the replies
    Last edited by Raistlin; 05-30-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Please, for the love of god, get cingular. But now that i think of it, in the chicago area at least, all the GSM towers have merged, so im constantly gettin on the ATT towers, so at this stage in the game, i dont think it matters, but 6 months ago, AT&T sucked in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast