Thread: prepaid service for US/Canada

Device(s)
    V66I
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

prepaid service for US/Canada

Hi, What is the best prepaid service that'll let me have 1 phone number in the US and Canada.. Rate wise.

Thanks!

Riquo

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That is a tough one. Most of the pre-paid providers restrict coverage to their own network or have ridicoulously high roaming charges. I have Verizon pre-paid and theoretically when I am in Canada (quite often as I live on the border), my Verizon phone should work, albeit, at a 99cent per minute off-network roaming charge. While the phone has always been connected to either the network of Telus or Bell, I have rarely been able to place a call. I just spent 5 weeks in Quebec City. While in Quebec, I could receive calls, receive text messages, and send text messages, BUT I could not place any calls other then 611 to Verizon and 911 for emergency. Why? Cannot answer. The solution, I purchased a cheap Siemens phones for pre-pay use on FIDO when in Canada. The phone cost $125 Canadian and came with $50 of pre-paid minutes.

Device(s)
    V66I
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hey thanks for replying, it sounds like you have the same problems I do. I was hoping that there was some mysterious provider that would let me roam in Canada with a US number.. (particularly one that has decent service in Boston)

(I roam mostly from Boston to Toronto, Boston to Halifax) - And, I want to have the same number in all situations, I don't really care if the call costs a dollar per minute so much, as I'll just be getting the call and returning it with a local phone.

with that said, who has had experience roaming (costly is ok to an extent) with a US provider in Canada, able to place and recieve calls.

It wouldn't be so bad if my work wouldn't be so stingy as per long distance/roaming fees....

Cheers

Riquo

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Riquo:

Your best and only bet if you want only one number is to sign up for a post-paid plan. The roaming issue that I have experienced has more to do with pre-paid and not the actual network. Pre-paid, at least with Verizon, is not truly set up for roaming outside of the USA. The few times I was able to place pre-paid calls from Canada, the charges NEVER appeared on my account.

My advice: If you want no roaming charges at all when in Canada, check out some of the options with Cingular and Verizon. At least where I live in Northern NY, Cingular offers a plan that includes access to GSM networks in Canada and Verizon offers free Canada roaming on its National Single Rate plan. Though, both of these plans are more expensive then the traditional plans such as America's choice, however, with America's Choice you will pay (last time I checked) 69 or 79 cents per minute roaming charge (but no additional long distance).

For me, it doesn't pay to switch to one of these costly plans. I am generally only in Canada about one day per month, with the exception of my recent 5 week stay in Quebec City. My FIDO pre-paid works perfect for me.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    any AT&T user can add canada to their calling area for $10 a month extra. Far cheaper than verizon or cingular's offerings.

Device(s)
    Nokia 1100
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (Cingular GSM)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Believe it or not Tracfone is your answer. I know that their rates aren't the greatest but, I have a relative that uses a Nokia 5165 (TDMA) phone through Tracfone (actual service provided by Cingular) and it roamed flawlessly in Ontario on Rogers last summer. Calls could be made and received without problems.