Thread: Any confirmed date of Hard Launch of GSM in South Alabama ( Mobile in particular )

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score

Any confirmed date of Hard Launch of GSM in South Alabama ( Mobile in particular )

Does any CSR or any other person have any date for a Hard Launch of GSM service in Mobile, Alabama ( South Alabama ) . We are on GSM for last few days meaning it is a soft launch. I read June 27th somewhere in a thread. Any wild Guess?
    ......Peace on Earth.......

Life is a lemon , i want my money back....

FOR SALE NOKIA CD
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452089

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

What I was told

This is what I was told by a sales rep in the store on the Beltline and by a CS rep on the phone. They official launch for Mobile is June 27th. They will start selling the phones in the stores next week June 23 or June 24. They told me that the unofficial launch date is June 22 although it seems like GSM service is already on in the Mobile area.

On a side note I went into BestBuy yesterday because I heard they were going to start selling the GSM phones Thursday. The guy working in the phone department told me that they sold 5 or 6 phones before getting a call from Cingular telling them not to sell anymore until next week. He said the Cingular person told his manager that the Corp stores would not be selling the phones until next week so BestBuy could not sell another GSM phone until next week also.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3300
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    soft launch is the 23rd so the hard launch should be around the 7-11th because soft launch is (normally) 2 weeks. but ours here has been 3 weeks. i can check when i get to work (since i have to work today ) and make sure.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by deannasturgis
    soft launch is the 23rd so the hard launch should be around the 7-11th because soft launch is (normally) 2 weeks. but ours here has been 3 weeks. i can check when i get to work (since i have to work today ) and make sure.
    Which town in MS are you working in right now?

Device(s)
    Nokia 3300
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    indianola. we have no other gsm carriers here so we had nothing as far as gsm before the soft launch, but on our soft launch date, the cingular network was up and running. the mobile soft launch is the 23rd but i didnt see a solid date anywhere for the official launch.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by deannasturgis
    indianola. we have no other gsm carriers here so we had nothing as far as gsm before the soft launch, but on our soft launch date, the cingular network was up and running. the mobile soft launch is the 23rd but i didnt see a solid date anywhere for the official launch.
    I had to look up Indianola on Mapquest. You are in the boonies... but, most of MS is.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3300
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    yup its the boonies alright, but my biggest problem here is that we have customers in belzoni and around that area (you think indianola is the boonies then look up belzoni ) and they cant get GSM at all and even the tdma coverage out there really isnt great....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    MS is going to be a hard cell for GSM in some areas because of no GSM service in rural areas. In Hattiesburg, Cingular, T-Mobile, and AT&T all three have basically the same foot print. When you go west past Columbia, MS there is no service. People live out there or travel that way regularly. The people who have Cingular have depended on Cellular South to fill in the holes. With both Cellular South and Cellular One (Alltel) going CDMA, that is going to put the hurt on retaining some customers. In all of south Mississippi, the 850 mhz carriers are now CDMA. This leaves no rural coverage for GSM. The three GSM carriers just cover the more populated areas.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3300
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    yup and tdma is going out the window so even with a gait phone everyone is in hot water. so i guess they need to come up with a tdma/cdma/gsm phone to cover everything.....fat chance, but a girl can dream can't she?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Virginia. A girl can dream.

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Soft launch or hard launch, Gsm seems to be working fine here in Mobile. the only thing that is weird, there is portion on a mjor road in the city ( Airport blvd) where the call drops. I am guess this is tower handoff issue. But other than that so far so good.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

airport blvd

Are you talking about airport between university and azalea. My calls always drop in that area

Device(s)
    n-gage
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: airport blvd

Originally posted by TideDog
    Are you talking about airport between university and azalea. My calls always drop in that area
    same here and a lot down university and im on at&t and when i had t-mobile it had trouble there too...

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score

Re: airport blvd

Originally posted by TideDog
    Ditto