Thread: Does new phone on Family Plan qualify for rebates?

Device(s)
    Samsung N105
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score

Does new phone on Family Plan qualify for rebates?

Hi all,

I want to take advantage of the free Motorola V60g (after rebates) offer from Amazon. I already have two phones on a voicestream family plan. Can I sign up for the Amazon deal as a new, separate account and then immediately merge it into the family plan and still get the Amazon and Voicestream rebates?

The VS CSR said yes. However, the VS rebates center person said it had to be an entirely new account. The Amazon person said no. I don't know who to believe.

TIA,

DREW.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Amazon is right. If you immediatley merge it into your family plan, you would never get the rebate. You would have to wait about 4 months until you could merge it to part of your family plan.

Device(s)
    V60g
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not true. You have to wait 1 month to get your first bill, you will send that to amazon. If you have only two phones with the family plan then 70/2 is > than the 30 you need for the rebate. This has been covered in several different posts.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    no i believe the first poster said he already had 2 phones on a family plan and wanted to get two more. So he was going to add 2 lines to the account under regular plans to get the rebate price, then immediatley switch it to the family plan, which would mean there would be 4 phones on the family plan. not just 2.

Device(s)
    Samsung N105
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    I already have 2 phones and will be adding this as a third. So, that's $79.99 a month. Throw in the $2.99 for the Internet and we're just $6.99 shy of the $29.99 minimum. Heck, if you throw in the tax then I think we're covered.

However, the $29.99 minimum only applies to the $100 Voicestream originated rebate. The rebate form says "To qualify for this offer, the phone must be activated with a VoiceStream wireless service plan with a monthly access of $29.99/mo. or higher." It doesn't say you have to keep it activated. That's not normally an issue because of the one year contract and penalties that apply. The question is whether the CSR was correct when she said I could switch the phone over to the family plan immediately after purchase without getting a hassle.

The other issue is the Amazon $150 rebate on the V60g. They want to see a copy of the first month's bill with activation charge. This tells me that they have no other way of verifying that you actually signed up with the plan and need written proof. There's no for them to know that you are no longer with the plan you signed up with.

Bottom line: If the CSR is correct, I should be able to buy the Amazon phone and take advantage of both rebates amounting to $250 if I sign up for a new $29.99 plan and keep it until the first bill arrives and then switch it over to the family plan.

What do you gurus think? Has anyone been able to switch a single plan over to a family plan without trouble in the last few months? I did this last year without a hassle, but I was afraid that they changed the rules since becoming T-Mobile.

TIA,

DREW.

Device(s)
    Motorola P280
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    Drew (or anyone else):

Did you ever get a clear answer to your last question -- whether you can merge a new single account into a family plan (or merge two singles into a family) right after submitting your first month's bill for the Amazon rebate?

Thanks, all!

wristshot

Device(s)
    Samsung N105
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    Here is the email conversation I had with them.
    I said:

I have two lines on my family plan and wish to add a third. Can I just purchase a phone and sign up for a separate service to take advantage of the rebates and then add that line to my family plan soon afterward?

He said:

Thank you for taking the time to contact VoiceStreeam/T-Mobile Wireless.

With the Family Time plan, you would need to go through the advanced activations group. Call us at 800-937-8997 and we can get you to them.

If you go ahead and order online, you could select another plan and then call advanced activations to get on the Family Time plan.

This tells me that I can order any plan and switch it over without penalty. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I will hold onto the separate plan long enough to get a bill that will satisfy the Amazon rebate.

D.

Device(s)
    Samsung D600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    there are 2 parts to this problem, the $100 rebate from VS and the $150 from amazon.

i have confirmed with a VS supervisor that the $100 rebate is available on all phones, as long as they are activated, this included to a family plan. i specifically asked them if i would be able to get 5 $100 rebate checks if i bought 5 phones, the supervisor confirmed i would.

the part you need to worry about is the amazon rebate. amazon doesn't offer the family plan, and if you merge it i don't know if you'd get the rebate (some have mentioned as long as the family plan filters down to $30 per phone you're ok, however i can't confirm this).

does anyone know how easy it is to merge a phone with a $30 plan on VS into a family plan? as far as i know there's a 1 year contract, but i don't know if that contract allows you to merge the phone into a family plan.

if someone's actually done the Send in $150 amazon rebate + first bill, then merge to the family plan tactic, please let us know for certain. it would seem like it would work, but when you're talking several hundred dollars in rebates i'd like a sure answer.

Device(s)
    Samsung N105
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    It seems to me that the only way Amazon has to verify that you actually activated the phone and not resold it is by that first bill. With this proof, they're covered and can get their incentive $ from Voicestream. If they actually checked with Voicestream, then they wouldn't need the paper.

But, of course, I could be wrong.

D.

Device(s)
    Verizon Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    this was covered in other posts.....

wait for your first bill, send it to amazon.
    send out your rebates from voicestream.
    AFTER (this is what could take long, you might have to wait for the rebates to be processed) you receive the rebates, call advanced activations and switch the other lines ONTO your family plan.

the problems is if you keep separate plans that long, is really worth the rebates for the phone? especially if you do have to wait 4 months as rockstyle suggested (and maintain more than one plan).
    Bell Atlantic > Voicestream > T-Mobile > AT&T > Cingular > Nextel > Cingular > AT&T Sprint > Verizon AT&T Sprint

Device(s)
    T-Mo S105
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    So if you merge the separate plan into the Family account before you get the rebate check from Amazon, you never going to see the Amazon rebate? That would suck because I don't want to wait 8-12 weeks before I merge into the Family plan.

If I send the Amazon rebate in right away, can I switch the lines to Family plan 4 weeks later and be sure to receive the rebate from Amazon?

This is all getting hairy, so I may just take some other route. I guess I'm just looking for definitive answers before I do anything.

Thanks