Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are the prices of ATT phones so low,

Device(s)
    vx8500
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Why are the prices of ATT phones so low,

Compared to other phones from Verizon. The retail price is what i am looking at. There are phones under $100 dollars at att retail. What gives.

Device(s)
    iPhone3G / Sammy BJ
    Carrier(s)
    at&t mobility
    Feedback Score
    Shouldn't you be asking Verizon why their prices are so high?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's part of what I like about AT&T. I hate Verizon because not only do they overcharge on service, but they overcharge on phones.

I think AT&T's prices are very fair.

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine that the pricing is partly due to the fact that GSM is a world standard and therefore lowers the overall production cost of phones, unlike cdma phones.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i tend to think it has to do with the fact that cingular has purchased at&t.
    they want to move many of the handsets that have at&t branding on the outside of them.
    just a thought
    g76monte

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by g76monte
    i tend to think it has to do with the fact that cingular has purchased at&t.
    they want to move many of the handsets that have at&t branding on the outside of them.
    just a thought
    g76monte
    Their prices have been pretty much the same (except after the holiday disaster last year) as they have always been. They have almost always had some sort a of a free phone or one in the $50 dollar range.

At&t has about a one and a half month inventory cycle so selling phones to free up inventory is highly unlikely.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    one to two months cycle thats pretty good maybe thats why theyre always getting new phones.
    i wish tmobile would adopt this way of doing things.
    g76monte

Feedback Score
    when dealing with our customer base, one would think our phone are overpriced!
    It is true, GSM handsets are MUCH more cost effective to make due to same exact phone for both europe and the US, only the RF board is differnt for GSM freq.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    It is true, GSM handsets are MUCH more cost effective to make due to same exact phone for both europe and the US, only the RF board is differnt for GSM freq.
    Apparently a firmware upgrade can take a eruo 900/1800 phone and turn it into a 850/1900. This is according to some posts I read in the SE forum.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ivwshane
    Apparently a firmware upgrade can take a eruo 900/1800 phone and turn it into a 850/1900. This is according to some posts I read in the SE forum.
    The same can be said for Samsung Phones, but seem to be hard to do since the firmwares seem to control which band(s) the phone can use. The SGH-E715 is Dual-Band 900/1900Mhz, but if you flash it with the SGH-E710 firmware it changes to 900/1800Mhz and vice versa. Can't seem to make the 850Mhz or at least all the other three bands available in any firmware variant/mod as of yet.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6340i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ATT published a document a while back on why they chose to upgrade to GSM rather than CDMA (which would have been easier from the standpoint of having more CDMA coverage then and also being compatible with AMPS). One of the things they mentioned was that GSM handsets were significantly cheaper and that's a cost savings that they can both pass on to the consumer and add to the bottom line.

Feedback Score
    Well, that and DoCoMo made them choose GSM as part of their stock buyout.

Originally posted by mobilegirl
    ATT published a document a while back on why they chose to upgrade to GSM rather than CDMA (which would have been easier from the standpoint of having more CDMA coverage then and also being compatible with AMPS). One of the things they mentioned was that GSM handsets were significantly cheaper and that's a cost savings that they can both pass on to the consumer and add to the bottom line.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Orange
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    hahahaha I was thinking the same thing!

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mobilegirl
    Those Qualcomm licenses don't come cheap.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    Though this begs the question why does it take so long for the US version of phones to be released. If it's so simple then Nokia, for example, should easily have been able to release the 6230 and 6230b simultaneously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast