Thread: Noob FAQ

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is there a Noob FAQ ?

Hi!

I just bought a p900 since I feel like its time i organized my life. I have only been using non smart phones all my life and have limited experinces with PDAs so everyone is completely new to me, therefore i would like to apologize ahead of time for any noob questions.

i was wondering if there is a FAQ for newbies that someone has compiled before, i tried searching for it but couldnt find anything.

I also have some quick questions, if any of you P900 guru's can help me out its greatly appreciated.

- I want to use my P900 as a mp3 player so i plan to buy a 128mb memory stick duo. I read on some other threads that if you change ms you have to reinstall all the apps and stuff unless you have a ms reader. If my p900 is bone stock and i havent added anything, are there any existing systems apps already on the 32mb ms? or can i just switch to 128ms with out worrying.

-I was wondering if there is an applications guide and where to find list out there. I know there are some threads out there already, but I was wondering if you guys can recommend any "must have" applications that I would need and also where to find them, pref. free

- Do you guys know where i can find applications such as Quick office? or other equivalents, screen capture, remote, banking, maps?

-Games and Emulators! any good suggestions?

- I was also wondering, can i use my p900 as a quick storage device. Eg. If other ppl dont have P900 SE software installed but I want a word document from them, can they just use infared to beam it to me? and vice versa can i use my infared to beam them other existing documents from my phone to their computer.

- I am in Canada and on the Rogers net work, I have never surfed the net iwth my phone before or felt the need to, do you think its a good time to start now? if i just wnat to check an occasional email what program should i use and what data plan should i get?

Thank you so much for readin this long post, I really appreciate everything. If there were existing threads to the above quesitons pls feel free to let me know, and also pls feel free to let me know if i have done any noob things that i shouldnt have!

Thanks again

Carrier(s)
    fido + rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Let me try to answer the questions I am familiar with:

You'll find a lot of useful info here (although it's not consolidated in one thread):

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...s=&forumid=241

I want to use my P900 as a mp3 player so i plan to buy a 128mb memory stick duo. I read on some other threads that if you change ms you have to reinstall all the apps and stuff unless you have a ms reader.

If you install your apps directly on the P900, you won't have to worry about switching cards. However, you can install all your apps on all your cards so they're always accessible. I'd strongly suggest you get a memory stick card reader/writer...it's much faster in transfering files. This is what I do...both MS Duos have all my apps so I don't worry about missing applications when I switch from one card to another.

If my p900 is bone stock and i havent added anything, are there any existing systems apps already on the 32mb ms? or can i just switch to 128ms with out worrying.

The supplied MS Duo is empty.

I was wondering if there is an applications guide and where to find list out there. I know there are some threads out there already, but I was wondering if you guys can recommend any "must have" applications that I would need and also where to find them, pref. free

It all depends on what you need. For basics, I'd recommend Tracker that serves as a desktop for the P900 among other things. Agendus combines the phonebook, to-do lists and appointment apps into one; however, there are other similar apps that combine these three native apps into one PIM. SMS Sceduler and SMS Reminder are good to have if you're into heavy SMS-ing. For an assortment of apps, check out L3 Solutions' Mega Pack...it's only $50 USD, but it includes a LOT of programs. You'll find this at www.l3solutions.com

There's also OggPlay that plays .ogg files. The file sizes are smaller than MP3s. Search for it in this forum and you'll find some threads on it.

If you travel a lot, WorldMate is nice to have.

Do you guys know where i can find applications such as Quick office? or other equivalents, screen capture, remote, banking, maps?

There are two main sites I visit, but there are a lot out there. Personally, I either go to www.my-symbian.com or www.handango.com

They're pretty similar since Handango powers My-Symbian.

I am in Canada and on the Rogers network, I have never surfed the net iwth my phone before or felt the need to, do you think its a good time to start now? if i just wnat to check an occasional email what program should i use and what data plan should i get?

Sure...I think you have the perfect phone for it. For data plans, I think you'll have to ask that in the Rogers forum. I'm more of a Fido person

Hope this helps. The P900 is a great phone. I hope you'll really like it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks alot for all the help! I luv this phone!

Device(s)
    P990
    Carrier(s)
    MTC Touch, Alfa, Fido, CytaGSM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    oh and dont forget to RTFM
    that's a great guide to answering some questions sometime
    but otherwise feel free to search, and if u dont come up with anything, post :P

welcome to HoFo

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P910i ( R4A ) ~ Sony Ericsson P800 ( R2F) W/ HBH 600 & HBH 20 ( All Unlocked )
    Carrier(s)
    Fido ( Microcell ) ~
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Welcome to Hofo!!

Enjoy the P9!

60 Years of Strength, Pride & Independence...
    INDIA: Break 35 Years and BEAT WI @ HOME!!! Kumble The Destroyer!!! ALL PRAISE THE DRAVID REGIME!
    Next up: More Crushing of The English!!

Bharat Mata Ki Jai!

HoFo's Premier Cricket King! & Almighty Leader of WORLD DOMINATION CRICKET POSSE!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This shall be a stickie for all to contribute.

I'll edit whatever is not relevant to the thread.

Good way to start something good b123123!!