Thread: v300 audio or line out port to connect to stereo?

Feedback Score

v300 audio or line out port to connect to stereo?

I have a car stereo that has a "line in" port, so that one can connect mp3 players, external devices, etc. I would like to connect my Motorola v300 so that I can hear telephone conversations thru the car speakers..

Does anyone know if the Motorola vXXX series has a line out audio port? I know it has a headset port, of course.. but can that be used for this purpose, etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Re: v300 audio or line out port to connect to stereo?

Originally posted by mikegelf
    I have a car stereo that has a "line in" port, so that one can connect mp3 players, external devices, etc. I would like to connect my Motorola v300 so that I can hear telephone conversations thru the car speakers..

Does anyone know if the Motorola vXXX series has a line out audio port? I know it has a headset port, of course.. but can that be used for this purpose, etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    The best thing you could do is get a car kit from motorola

Feedback Score
    You may need this adapter:
    standard moto headphone jack to standard line out (RCA)

it is only $5+shipping

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by DereX888
    You may need this adapter:
    standard moto headphone jack to standard line out (RCA)

it is only $5+shipping
    the problem with that is there is no microphone

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by breathe
    the problem with that is there is no microphone
    that doesnt matter, just dont use the third connector in this plug (if there is such option). Actually I think the mic connector is not, or shouldn't be, connected there at all, since RCA jack uses only 2 connectors/wires.

Feedback Score
    Okay, so today I stopped at Radioshack and bought an adaptor for $3.99 which seemed to be what I was looking for ("stereo-to-stereo audio adapter, item# 274-373, accepts 1/8" phone plug and fits 3/32" phone jack). Thanks for the tip, guys.

Anyway, good and bad. Good is that immediately I could hear the telephone conversation on my car's speakers once I plugged my connecting cable into my car stereo.

Bad is that they cannot not hear me at all. It seems that a few people's suspicion proved to be correct -- when plugging something into the Moto's 'headset' jack, it automatically assumes it is indeed a headset and cuts off the phone's built-in microphone (and speakerphone microphone) assuming that you have one in the headset, I guess.

Anyone know if one can manually override the turning off of the phone's microphone in this case? I looked around on the phone and didn't see it, perhaps one can do it with a hack or seam edit, etc. Tech support didn't help at all.

I guess the other option.. is to see if I can try to find a cheap headset that has a microphone, but whose output that instead of going to an earpiece goes to a standard 1/8" headphone plug. Anyone know if this exists or if this can easily be hacked up from a standard headset?

** By the way, I am not only trying to be cheap and avoid buying a car kit -- I don't want the car kit b/c it comes with a crappy little speaker. Why pay for extra clutter and have a crappy speaker when I could potentially connect the phone to my car's entire audio system (indeed, it sounded very nice today when i tried it).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Device(s)
    Motorola V600
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    This may work:
    https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=121156

However, you would need to make a custom connector. You need a 3/32" (I think that's what the moto plug is) and a google search to see which wires go where. Good lcuk, and I'll see if I can come up with anything.

Edit: It's 3/32". Fixed in post.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by wizatcomputer
    However, you would need to make a custom connector. You need a 3/32"
    That's a good idea -- or I guess I could attempt to buy the components separate, e.g.:

1. headset adapter/splitter (fits 3/32" phone jack, essentially splits mic & speaker functions):
    --> accepts microphone plug
    --> accepts 1/8" plugs, output speaker to car stereo system

I wonder if they sell a simple, phone headset 'splitter/adapter' such as the above.. as this piece would obviously be the toughest to find...
    Last edited by mikegelf; 09-10-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V600
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm working on creating the adapter right now. It looks like it would cost less than 10 dollars from RadioShack. Hopefully I can pick up the parts tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    I'm working on creating the adapter right now. It looks like it would cost less than 10 dollars from RadioShack.
    Sounds good. What are the part numbers for the items you're looking at?

.. just in case you didn't read one of my previous posts (which you probably did)... remember to be careful not to make the same mistake I did (just buying the adapter and essentially losing the microphone function..)..

Device(s)
    Motorola V600
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    274-283 Four-Piece 1/8" Plug and Jack Set $3.99
    274-244 Gold–Plated 3–Cond. Plug $2.99

Both can be picked up from RadioShack

Just need about two feet of wire and some soldering skils.

Feedback Score
    Just need about two feet of wire and some soldering skils.
    I think Radioshack also has the wire. Let me know how it goes, b/c I will do the same if it works.

I guess one could also find a cheap headset and just cut off the earpiece and then solder that wire to a headphone plug..?

Device(s)
    Motorola V600
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Well, my trip to RadioShack was a failurrre. They had neither part that I needed, so I'll have to get them to order the parts. It will be a week until they arrive.