Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which phone for senior with hearing aid?

Device(s)
    Moto v400
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score

Question Which phone for senior with hearing aid?

Hey folks,

We've got 4 phones on our bills. We're going to upgrade and save a bunch of moola by going with a family talk plan.

Hence, this means we have to upgrade our phones, too.

One of the phones we have is actually in posession of my husband's parents. (They live in upstate NY for most of the year except when they are snowbirds and go to florida for 4 months. DH and I are actually in the Atlanta Area.)

We gave it to them 2 or 3 years ago. It's the same as my own current phone (which I have LOVED). It is a Nokia 7160. It has a large, easy-to-read screen, covered large buttons, and ring tones that my father-in-law can hear. (He has had a hearing aid for the last 40 years.)

Well, now with the new plan, they cannot keep that phone. (They are somewhat upset by this as they are afraid to change & lose the phone they love, too.)

We asked in the cingular store what phone might be best. We were directed toward the Samsung x427m. The ring tones could be made pretty loud and the screen seemed to be large and readable. (If it weren't for the wallpaper... anyway to just get a plain single color in there?)

(For ourselves, we are looking at the Motorola V400 phones for my husband and myself and the LC C1300 for additional biz purposes.)

Well... considering the concern with my inlaws. Which phone do you recommend for them? (On cingular, again ... and not too expensive, either. That samsung x427 is free online at their site.)

(And no the 2 year committment doesn't bother us. We've been with cingular since 1996 when they were bellsouth Mobility. Frankly, I think the surveys for cingular are bogus. We've been very happy with them.)

Thanks in advance, folks!!! :-)

Device(s)
    Nokia Mural 6750 (current)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    To answer your specific question, I don't have a 427, but I'm pretty sure you can change the wallpaper. Someone more knowledgeable about that phone can tell you how.

If they like the Nokia style of their old phone, the 1100 and 6010 are worth looking into. The 1100 is pretty small, so maybe not, but the 6010 is bigger (although I've never seen it in person) and is probably the most 'typical' Nokia out right now.

Device(s)
    MOT V3xx (P)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it is on the web site anymore but the Nokia 3595 was a very loud phone. You could probably get one cheap off ebay, or maybe find a Cingular store that had one in stock. I have a 427, and a father with hearing aids, and I can't imagine he would be able to hear well on the phone. It's a good little phone, but the speaker isn't volume isn't anything special.
    'there is a creeping consumption in the land' Dylan

Device(s)
    DROID 2
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    the 6010 would be great for them. it is virtually the same as the 3595 with a more conservative look. ringtones loud on this one. and the 1100 should be good unless it is too small for them. but one of these nokias should satisfy them hope this helps
    RETIRED PHONES: NOKIA 3390(sold), NOKIA 3395(2)(sold one), NOKIA 8290(sold), MOTOROLA V70(sold), NOKIA 3595(sold), NOKIA 6010 (collecting dust), AUDIOVOX CDM-8910(MIA),LG VX-8300(SOLD),LG VX-9900 ENV(SOLD), LG CU500(SOLD),SAMSUNG I-607 BLACKJACK(SOLD),LG VX10000 Voyager(busted),Blakberry Storm(sold), Blackberry Storm 2(for sale).....

Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    My mom wears a hearing aid (the completely in-the-ear-canal digital hearing aid) on one ear, so I actually have some first hand experience in that.

There are a few things to consider:

1) Flip vs. candybar

My mom likes the flip phones better because she can press both the ear piece and the mouth piece closer to both her ear and her mouth simultaneously.

For candybar phones, you press the phone closer to the ear --- the mouth piece side gets further away from your face (and vice versa). It DOESN'T matter whether you explain that the candybar's microphone is very sensitive anyway (and therefore it's not necessary for the microphone to be close to the mouth) --- it's a psychological thing --- people like to have both the ear and mouth piece closer to their face simultaneously.

2) Ease of use

Nokia candybar is the best designed cell phones for seniors --- easy to understand menus. My mom is a senior citizen and she doesn't speak english --- she learned how to use her old nokia candybars very quickly vs. she still have trouble with her current samsung flip phone.

3) Screeen size

The form factor for flip phones makes it possible to have larger screens in the inside --- which can be better for seniors.

4) Ringtones

I don't know anything about samsung's GSM phones, but my samsung CDMA phone have very poor ringtone design (in terms of volume and general loudness to alert people). The basic nokia ringtones are very good design --- for seniors --- they are simple and they are loud.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently using a 3595, and I've briefly played with a 6010. I can tell you that the 3595 is quite loud, but, as you probably are aware, for a person with a hearing aid, loudness isn't always the answer. The pitch of the sound can also make a difference to them. The 3560 (the TDMA version of the 3595) had a basic equalizer that allowed you to play with the pitch a little, but that feature wasn't included on the 3595. Not sure about the 6010.

As for ringtones, I personally think that, for sheer loudness, the old monophonic ringtones were best. For some reason, polyphonic ringtones just don't carry as well. You can try to get around this by downloading some super-loud tones if the ones included in the phone don't do the trick.

The best thing they could do is to visit a Cingular store and try out a few phones to see what works for them. If they explain their situation to a rep, I'm sure they'll try to find something they can use.

Device(s)
    DROID 2
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    on the 3595 two in particular i think would be good with seniors. ringtone 1 is one called "low" and the second is called "signal"

Device(s)
    V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    3595 off ebay, and that LG C1300 is a screamer but i find them difficult to use.
    Call me AGENT ORANGE

THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE

2000 bmw 323i is my new addition to my garage.

Device(s)
    Moto v400
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Well... if Nokia had a phone out that had it's numbers covered/protected while not in use... that would be an option.

See the 7160 is a sweet phone and one of the reasons is b/c it has the slide. Check out this at Nokia's site: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/7160

I have this one, too. And have loved it partially b/c of that nice slide feature. (Why did they discontinue this? My cingular rep has said that this is the single most requested feature he's come across and why that phone sold so much while it was out.)

My in-laws want the numbers protected so it doesn't get bumped and accidentally dial Thailand... or at least one of the 1-touch numbers programmed. (My hubby has had MANY an accidentally dialed call when he wasn't actually using it with current his nokia phone... b/c it's numbers are exposed and he ends up leaning against something that activates a call. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten calls from him... when he wasn't actually trying to call me. Darned annoying and wasted airtime.)

So... since there are no slides out there anymore, we have to choose a flip. (Sadly... we'll miss Nokia.)

(Btw, the 3595 is still listed on their web site. http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/ ... about 3/4 way down the page. Alas, it's not a slide or flip.)

Samab... thanks for the input. You're right... being "old school" - they do like having a phone reach from ear to mouth.

Btw, Dad's hearing aid is the big over the ear and In the ear kind. I think he has it attached to his glasses to make it more comfortable.

----

ALCingularUser, actually, I was just thinking of sending them to a local store (if they have one in the Binghamton, Endicott, Vestal, Johnson City, Endwell area).

----

Hey, JDScott302, by screamer on the LG C1300... what did you mean? And difficult to use in what manner? (Menus not intuitive? too complicated?)

----

I'm almost thinking of making that other phone we have for biz purposes a Samsung x427 to match the in-laws phone just so I can talk turkey with them to stir them through the menus when necessary. I read on Amazon's reviews that the x427 had a crummy manual. While I know that Dad could figure it out... Mom would get befuddled in a hurray.

Geez... used to be easier to shop for a phone! And if all of the companies weren't upgrading to the GSM, I'd have them stay with the 7160 slide (TDMA) phone and simply urge them to get it activated under their own name/bill.

And yep, I've been concerned about this polymorphic tones... but if the rep in the store hadn't played one of the tones for us and then bumped up the volume (it got very loud), the Samsung x427 might not have made it to our radar screen.

So... yeah, it needs to be some kind of flip ... for the protected buttons and the screens tend to be larger.

I'm still interested to hear all of your input and thanks for all that you guys have given thus far!!!!!

Feedback Score
    an argument for Nokias being the appropriate choice:

http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia_access...,2231,,00.html (specifically the loopsets)

regarding the "accidental dialing" problems, why not teach them to press "menu" & "*" to lock the keypad?

ALCingularUser: in my experience, every phone i've ever had, the included ringers (most of them, anyway) were much louder than any i've downloaded...of course, i've never created my own either, as i don't currently have a data cable to upload them with

Nokia's (especially the 35xx series) and LG's (in my experience) tend to have MUCH louder ringers and earpiece volume than Moto's...haven't played with a Sammy, so i don't know how loud those can get...plus, i've had much better RF from my Nokia's and LG's than any other phone i've played with (disclaimer: i use CDMA, and have no clue as to the RF capabilities of GSM Nokia's/LG's)

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know how frustrating those accidental calls can be, having received them myself, but I can provide a solution. Two, actually.

First, there's a keyguard feature on most phones that will lock the keypad. On Nokias, you activate it by pressing Menu, then *. Pressing these keys again will unlock the keys.

Second, many new Nokias can be set to lock the keypad automatically after a certain inactivity period that the user can set. That way, if you forget to engage keyguard, it will kick in automatically.
    Last edited by ALCingularUser; 09-13-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto v400
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    On the nokia front...

Well... you'd have to know my in-laws. They'd get frustrated with having to lock and unlock it each time. Believe me, I know them... it wouldn't "fly" with them at all. (Dad gets mighty cranky and starts to complain. He already complains about enough stuff to us... I don't want to give him more fodder. Mom would just get more confused... and stop using it. Gotta KISS for them.)

Otherwise, we will all be like this:

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    By default most current OEM faceplates for the Nokia phones don't have any covers for their Keypads. However, you can always buy After-Market faceplates that do cover most if not all the buttons on the phones. Most Mall Carts that sell CellPhone Accessories/Faceplates have some for most of the Nokia phones such as the 3590/3595 and there are ones just like the cover for the 7160 only instead of sliding, it flips out.
    The below one is compatible for the Nokia 3560/3595 and the 6010 as well.

Link to 3560/3595/6010 faceplates on DayDeal.Com

So just buy the phones and replace the Original Faceplates to the After Market ones that provide the Keypad Covers to give to your Parents.
    Last edited by Mango808; 09-13-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by samab
    4) Ringtones

I don't know anything about samsung's GSM phones, but my samsung CDMA phone have very poor ringtone design (in terms of volume and general loudness to alert people). The basic nokia ringtones are very good design --- for seniors --- they are simple and they are loud.
    Samsung GSM ringers are cheesy++ Not precisely my recommendation for a senior. Plus you can change the wallpaper, for a different image, but not remove it.
    Last edited by cinguliano; 09-13-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I'd go for the Nokia 6010, but I'm only concerned with one thing: can a hearing aid resist the use of a GSM phone without being invaded by the "mosquito"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast