Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cingular aware of MPX 220 problem !

Device(s)
    I phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Cingular aware of MPX 220 problem !

Went to a cingular corporate store today, talked with the manager for about 15 min. I asked him about the MPX 220 and he told me they have about 20 in the back. He recieved an internal memo from corporate NOT to sell any of these phones and to return all inventory. He said they know about the low volume , which is one of the phones problems, there are a few more, I asked what, he wouldnt tell me. He said, they were not going to sell the phone anyway before Nov. 10, but now, they might not until its 100%, and they fix all problems. He said they do not want another V 600 fiasco.
    I asked about the Razor V 3 , he said he expects it very Soon.

Device(s)
    MPx220
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you serious? I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I was all ready to purchase the phone this week when Best Buy have them in. What I want to know is is this legit info from the rep? Cingular will fix all problems and have it out for sale in Nov10th? Another thing is, AT&T is selling their phone possibly this Friday Oct22. Will Cingular also keep on selling MPx220 even when AT&T carries it as well?

Device(s)
    Sony ericsson t616
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Timback. I cant speak for others...but I know you saved at least me from getting screwed over with a faulty mpx220. If its good enough, it can be waited for....i'll wait until this phone is 100%!!

Although I have to admit...it is very hard to hold back from having this phone!
    TRING TRING

Feedback Score
    This is interesting in that it implies Cingular does not provide same level of support/quality to their customers who buy Cingular service from Best Buy!

Otherwise they would have asked Best Buy to not sell these phones either. Does not seem right to me since Best Buy is an authorized Cingular store.

Device(s)
    I phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All I know is that this guy has been pretty reliable for me in the past, and I would wait a few months until Moto gets their heads together and then I will get this phone. It just stinks having to wait, but thats Moto style... and for those guys who dont believe me, I dont care, I am just reporting from a great source. Go ahead and buy as many faulty MPX 220s as you want.
    Last edited by Timback; 10-20-2004 at 04:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be sending my MPX220 back, love the phone, hate the volume, BUT, I will buy it once the Cingular stores have it and it works correctly. I doubt it will be months though since they cannot afford to delay it any further.

I was in the ATTWS by my office and the store mgr told me that the merger is to be done in 10 days and complete 100%. They do not have the MPX220 in their system to order and I wonder if its because they are waiting for the 30 day window to end and get Cingular branded phones. It seems they are pushing to get their current stock out and ready for the new product.

This is what she was told directly by the VP at ATTWS so I give it a pretty good shot at being good.

Device(s)
    HTC S710
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully Moto will make fixes available for download. Surely these issues can be fixed in software....
    -jim

Feedback Score
    I agree it should be a software fix and simple enough, but I am not willing to play the waiting game on a 14 day trial. I am canceling tomorrow and will wait for the official launch. Cingular isn't ready for this phone yet. Hopefully once the intial 30 days is up it will be fixed.

Device(s)
    Moto Q (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (California)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Xenious
    Hopefully Moto will make fixes available for download. Surely these issues can be fixed in software....
    -jim
    I'm not sure that these problems are completely software-related. If they were, it wouldn't explain the people who have the phone and don't have problems with the volume.

Though volume *can* be addressed in the firmware, it doesn't mean the problems that people are experiencing are firmware-related. Given the experienced users who don't have problems, who have the same version of the firmware -- it starts to sound more and more like a hardware issue.

BTW, my hearing is not super-sensitive. And I've had no complaints about outgoing volume from anyone I've spoken to. On some incoming calls, I've had to backoff the headset.

Today, while working at my desktop, music on, I heard the SMS alert (my own tone) go off a few rooms away. I've heard louder alerts and rings but not so much where I'd think "this thing can barely be heard. To me, though hardly an expert -- sounds like hardware.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by LarryH
    I'm not sure that these problems are completely software-related. If they were, it wouldn't explain the people who have the phone and don't have problems with the volume.

I would say that hearing is subjective. People with better hearing do not have problems. Some people with the problems hearing on the phones examined multiple phones and found the same hearing problems on as many as five units. The common factor in these cases was the individuals hearing.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Chunghwa Telecom
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by aadadams
    I would say that hearing is subjective. People with better hearing do not have problems. Some people with the problems hearing on the phones examined multiple phones and found the same hearing problems on as many as five units. The common factor in these cases was the individuals hearing.
    yeah, hearing may be subjective, but when a large population of people are complaining about mpx220's volume, it's actually an issue rather than a subjective comment.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Holishi
    yeah, hearing may be subjective, but when a large population of people are complaining about mpx220's volume, it's actually an issue rather than a subjective comment.
    I am not dismissing this as an issue. I have had louder phones for sure. My comment was to indicate that this is not a series of isolated incidents with a set of bad phones, but a wide spread issue that affects all units even mine which can can hear just fine on.

Feedback Score
    I jokingly said in a post a while back that Cingular must be using Best Buy as a test market for the MPx220 too see what problems there were with the phone before it got into the corporate stores, maybe this wasn't too far off the mark.......!?!

I will say this - I have been in 4 different Best Buy stores in the last week and there is definitely a "buzz" around the Mpx220. People are always asking the reps about it, looking at it, playing with it, showing it to the other people they are with. Someone had put the Shrek 2 trailer on one of them at one store and people were ooing and ahhing over it. If Motorola could just get the hardware end right, MS Smartphone could really take off I think. I thought Motorola sold phones, the Mpx220 seems to be everything else but a great PHONE it is not (not yet anyway).

Feedback Score
    I returned mine and I will be waiting for the formal launch of the MPX220 on Cingular. This way they will have worked out the bugs, the support will be there from the Cingular techs as well. The MPX220 worked well as a pda, and as a phone except for the volume. This can be seen in the difference in the volume between my V710 vs the MPX220. I will give it a few weeks and then jump back in. I just could't be locked into a new contract and risk paying BB and Cingular to break out.

Device(s)
    Nokia N75
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NokiaN-GageQD/2.0 (4.00) SymbianOS/6.1 Series60/1.2 Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Originally posted by mar2k
    I jokingly said in a post a while back that Cingular must be using Best Buy as a test market for the MPx220 too see what problems there were with the phone before it got into the corporate stores, maybe this wasn't too far off the mark.......!?!

I will say this - I have been in 4 different Best Buy stores in the last week and there is definitely a "buzz" around the Mpx220. People are always asking the reps about it, looking at it, playing with it, showing it to the other people they are with. Someone had put the Shrek 2 trailer on one of them at one store and people were ooing and ahhing over it. If Motorola could just get the hardware end right, MS Smartphone could really take off I think. I thought Motorola sold phones, the Mpx220 seems to be everything else but a great PHONE it is not (not yet anyway).
    What is the overall quality of this phone besides the obvious flaws. How is the internet explorer? How fast is the os compared to symbian? Will current owners be able to get theirs updated when the volume fix comes out?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast