Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: HELP !!!!! customize ringtone on Nokia 8260

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Nokia 8260 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T - TDMA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question HELP !!!!! customize ringtone on Nokia 8260

    I have a Nokia 8260 TDMA phone with AT&T wireless located in California. I believe I have 5 empty slots available...listed as "personal" under the ringtone menu. I just recently sent a ringtone from a friends phone to my phone...within seconds, i get a message, but when I open it up...it appears as a jumbled text message?!?! I can't save it to my "personal" ringtone?..what the heck? Only thing I can think of is, my service doesnt support this? Can somebody shed some light?...the phone looks like its capable of doing this...I used to own a 8290 on Cingular and send a recieve ringtones all the time. Please help me!!!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    971
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G (8 Gig)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    i have the exact phone and exact provider. It works fine. make sure that it is in TDMA format and is able to be put in the 8260!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Nokia 8260 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T - TDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by raver0600
    make sure that it is in TDMA format and is able to be put in the 8260!
    How do you make it TDMA format?...i should also ask, what "it" is? From what I undertsand, my service is on the TDMA network provided by AT&T on the west coast.

    Does the phone that sends me the ringtone have to be on the same network? TDMA? If so, that means I can't recieve ringtones from my friends Cingular phone on GSM also right?

    And if i want to compose a ringtone and have it sent to my 8260, I would have to borrow a friends 3360 and compose it there then send it to my phone?

    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    971
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G (8 Gig)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    to make things more simple, the only way i got my ringtones were from the internet, now there are almost no sites that let you download ringtones for free over the air. (and i live in san francisco)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada / HK
    Posts
    978
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Try this site.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Close to her heart.
    Posts
    500
    Device(s)
    Motorola V 551 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: HELP !!!!! customize ringtone on Nokia 8260

    Originally posted by trakmasterrs
    I have a Nokia 8260 TDMA phone with AT&T wireless located in California. I believe I have 5 empty slots available...listed as "personal" under the ringtone menu. I just recently sent a ringtone from a friends phone to my phone...within seconds, i get a message, but when I open it up...it appears as a jumbled text message?!?! I can't save it to my "personal" ringtone?..what the heck? Only thing I can think of is, my service doesnt support this? Can somebody shed some light?...the phone looks like its capable of doing this...I used to own a 8290 on Cingular and send a recieve ringtones all the time. Please help me!!!

    Thanks!
    what phone and service provider does ur friend use?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Nokia 8260 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T - TDMA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Re: HELP !!!!! customize ringtone on Nokia 8260

    Originally posted by nokia7160dude
    what phone and service provider does ur friend use?
    He has GSM Cingular in California.

    What I wanted was the ringtone...Pov City Anthem, I composed it and everything...just cant recieve it...I found some online, but theyre charging a couple of bucks for it...udder gayness...i think i'll try my sisters 3360 and compose there and send to myself. Unless one of you guys have it out there and is willing to send it to me?

    Thanks for all the input guys...keep 'em comin!
    Last edited by trakmasterrs; 09-14-2002 at 09:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Close to her heart.
    Posts
    500
    Device(s)
    Motorola V 551 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Re: Re: HELP !!!!! customize ringtone on Nokia 8260

    Originally posted by trakmasterrs
    He has GSM Cingular in California.

    What I wanted was the ringtone...Pov City Anthem, I composed it and everything...just cant recieve it...I found some online, but theyre charging a couple of bucks for it...udder gayness...i think i'll try my sisters 3360 and compose there and send to myself. Unless one of you guys have it out there and is willing to send it to me?

    Thanks for all the input guys...keep 'em comin!
    transferring from GSM phone to TDMA phone might be cause of problem. i have noticed on many free ringtone web sites that they have different sections for tdma and gsm phones.

    try www.ufone.ca which provides 1000s ringtones for free.

    on ending note, i have done sending ringtone from 3360 to my 7160 and works fine for me. so u may want to try that.


    **addition** i am pretty sure that GSM and TDMA ringtones formats are different. i tried sending ringtone from one site to my phone and on web site i selected my phone as GSM. i received all garbled text. **
    Last edited by nokia7160dude; 09-15-2002 at 09:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Nokia 8260 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T - TDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    You're the man nokia7160dude for hookin it up with the free site...thanks everybody fer all the help!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Close to her heart.
    Posts
    500
    Device(s)
    Motorola V 551 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs up

    Originally posted by trakmasterrs
    You're the man nokia7160dude for hookin it up with the free site...thanks everybody fer all the help!
    any time!

Bookmarks