Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nokia T9 text use

Device(s)
    Nokia 5100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Funny how most other posts "add" something that he already covered . Hopefully, it won't be the case with this one.

Firstly, you are not limited to the English language. Most phones come with several dictionaries which you can change before or while you are writing your message. If the language you want is not in the phone, you can add it by going to a technician. Here in Canada Nokia tech support doesn't seem to be aware that you can do that, but I've done it with my phone in Eastern Europe.

Secondly, a dot in between two words won't necessarily become an apostrophe, sometimes it can become a dash (esp. in other languages where apostrophe is not that common). The substitution is context aware, but it doesn't always do it right. Also, don't forget that if you have a notebook/computer with infrared, you can connect the phone and send SMSs through the Nokia suite phone editor. If you're a touch typist, it's not hard to be faster than the PKI.

On 7210 (and others sharing the same button layout) you can start writing an SMS by pressing the middle left button - on the 7210 is up oblique). (Pressing the middle right button will take you to the calendar, while pressing up and down will take you to the phone book, but you knew that already, right?)
    "One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one¹s work is terribly important." - Bertrand Russell

Device(s)
    8320 Curve, n70
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (+UMA, no [email protected]) + Myfaves 300
    Feedback Score
    ya i found that funny that everybody kept repeating the same thing

anyways just about all of this I found out by toying around w/ my 3595 the first few days when I got it....so yes all of this works with the 3595

Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a question about T9 on my Nokia 7210...

When I write some text in french on my phone, what is the fastest way to write words like "j'aime" or "m'aime" ?

For "j'aime", 5* (* to change L to J) ... I press 1 and as soon as I press 2 (for "a"), the dot change to a dash...

For "M'aime", I press 6 and when I press 1 to get ' , M change to N...

Even with those "problems", predictive text input on Nokia phones is way better then what I got on my Motorola P280

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by zadigre
    I have a question about T9 on my Nokia 7210...

When I write some text in french on my phone, what is the fastest way to write words like "j'aime" or "m'aime" ?

For "j'aime", 5* (* to change L to J) ... I press 1 and as soon as I press 2 (for "a"), the dot change to a dash...

For "M'aime", I press 6 and when I press 1 to get ' , M change to N...

Even with those "problems", predictive text input on Nokia phones is way better then what I got on my Motorola P280
    Can't you just type 51263 for j'aime and 61263 for m'aime? If the word doesn't immediately show can't you press the * to cycle through other words that use that key combination?
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    no I can not do this because * only change what is after the apostrophe... I have to go back to change the first letter.

Originally posted by littlefuzzbear
    Can't you just type 51263 for j'aime and 61263 for m'aime? If the word doesn't immediately show can't you press the * to cycle through other words that use that key combination?

Device(s)
    Nokia 3585i (Current)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Current)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Works on Nokia 3585i

Great tips! Works flawlessly on Nokia 3585i.

Sidenote: I've had a Motorola i1000plus (Nextel) for years now and I am blown away at the differences in T9! If I started to type in a word and it wasn't the "first" choice in the dictionary, i had no means of selecting other words - I had to continously press the back key to erase and then switch out of predictive text mode and enter it in manually... The time i wasted wasn't even worth using T9 on my i1000plus!

THANKS AGAIN!

Device(s)
    Nokia 6280
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by telequao
    ya i found that funny that everybody kept repeating the same thing

anyways just about all of this I found out by toying around w/ my 3595 the first few days when I got it....so yes all of this works with the 3595
    What you have to do is press 5, then 1 for the apostrophe, THEN the * key to change it to j' and then you can write the rest of the word as normal. Thats the quickest way. :-)

Device(s)
    nokia 6600
    Feedback Score

removing word from dictionary!

Obviously all this also works with the 6600. but for some reason, when i want to type "in" (46), it gives me "io" instead of "in". how can i remove "io" from the dictionary?

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: removing word from dictionary!

Originally posted by jacksmith
    Obviously all this also works with the 6600. but for some reason, when i want to type "in" (46), it gives me "io" instead of "in". how can i remove "io" from the dictionary?
    Just press the * key and the correct word will show.

Device(s)
    nokia 6600
    Feedback Score

no duh.

i know that, but since i use the word "in" quite often, and the word "io" never, i want to erase the word from the dictionary so i don't have to press * every time i want to type "in".

Feedback Score
    Nokia has the best SMS implementation out there. For one, I like the "0" key to be the space bar

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I love using T9 on my nokia 6620. It makes it quick for TM's when you are really jammed for time, like when your at work and have to pound one out before your boss sees.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6600
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible to add words to the dictionary? It doesn't seem to be anywhere in the manual so I'm guessing not, but that would be a great feature.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w950i
    Carrier(s)
    o2
    Feedback Score
    is there anyway to start a new line when writing a txt without pressing space loads of times to get to the end of the current line? eg

line 1,
    line 2

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    works for my 3220

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast