Thread: Nokia T9 text use

Device(s)
    Nokia N70
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    After you type the period the next letter you type will be upper case to the next sentence. If you type a letter then 1 immediately followed by any letter the punctuation will become an apostrophe. e. g. to type he’s you would key 4417.
    heh... i didnt know that.. id always go searching for the damn apostrophe... thanx for that.. works with the n70 for sure!!

btw.. its 4317... not 4417

Device(s)
    Nokia N70
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score

Talking answers

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart P
    is there anyway to start a new line when writing a txt without pressing space loads of times to get to the end of the current line? eg

line 1,
    line 2
    yes there is... in some nokia phones, if u press 0 continously, u get space, then zero, then a little symbol like a mirrored L and an arrow at the bottom of the L...

but with the T9, if u press * key (or choose insert symbol), it should be the last symbol...

Quote Originally Posted by ODST_Shan
    Is it possible to add words to the dictionary? It doesn't seem to be anywhere in the manual so I'm guessing not, but that would be a great feature.
    yes it is possible, i believe its been covered but here we go anyway...

say u want to type in "cuz" (shorthand/slang to "because") and u press 289... and u press star but u only get buy, btw, buz, aux, etc... just as the dictionary gets to the last word it should show u an option "Spell" that way u can select and type in the word u want, in this case "cuz".. that way every time u press 289, u can press * to find "cuz"...

hope thats clear enought.. iv been known to explain with too much detail at times...

Feedback Score

Unhappy T9 won't remember spelling-HELP!

My Nokia does not remember words that I save into the dictionary. My older Nokia's had no problem remembering words I taught it, but my last two have not (newest is Nokia 6280). What is going wrong?

I do the usual - cycle through the word suggestings with my star key until it comes up "spell" then I spell the new word and "save". It remembers the new word again during that particular sms message, but on the next new sms it has forgotten the new word again. It's driving me crazy!!!

Please help! (yes Dictionary is "on")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbfiji
    My Nokia does not remember words that I save into the dictionary. My older Nokia's had no problem remembering words I taught it, but my last two have not (newest is Nokia 6280). What is going wrong?

I do the usual - cycle through the word suggestings with my star key until it comes up "spell" then I spell the new word and "save". It remembers the new word again during that particular sms message, but on the next new sms it has forgotten the new word again. It's driving me crazy!!!

Please help! (yes Dictionary is "on")
    I have the same problem with my 6280 so interested in any replies.

Feedback Score

changing the order of predicted words????

Ok so my T9 dictionary on my N73 works awesome. But 1 thing, is there a way to change the order of words that the T9 dictionary predicts?

For instance, I usually type in 2255 and "Call" is the first word that comes up because its the most common. but 1 time I typed in 2255 and because I wanted "BBJK" to come up, I "spelled" it out and put it in the dictionary of the T9 so it will be a part of the dictionary.
    (BBJK is a common abbreviation i use for something)

Obviously I use the word "Call" more often but everytime I type in 2255, "BBJK" comes up first. I wanted to know if it's possible to change the order, so "Call" comes up as the first word and "BBJK", comes up as the second option?

I have done this for many words so I really need help with this feature please!

thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think there's any way to do that. I saved my user name in the T9 dictionary and every time I type it I always get another word and have to always press * to change it to the next word which is my user name. That's one thing T9 really lacks.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Carrier(s)
    Personal
    Feedback Score
    Another tip: Well I don't know if it's a T9's tip, but I think someone will find it useful in this topic. If you write messages in spanish, or other language using letters like á é í ó ú, the message will "eat" a lot more characters and the phone will send that message divided in two or three messages. So you provider will charge you for that number of messages. To avoid this without having to press * until you select the same word without the accent, go to Messaging > Message Settings > Text Messages > Character support and select Reduced. That way the phone will show you the letters but when you send the message, it'll convert the characters. For instance, "¿Cómo estás?" will be converted to "¿Como estas?".

Some comments on T9

I've read in my 6131 User Guide, that the T9 system remembers which words you use more than other words. I think that's not true. There are some words that I use in most of my messages, and they haven't "ranked up" to the first or second choice when pressing *

Other issue is when you are about to write a word after a period (.) the next character will be upper case. That's fine. But if you have to spell that word, the spell "text input" will have the first letter in upper case (at least you change it). The issue with this is that if you want to use that added word in another message where you're not after a period (.), the word will still have it's first character upper case.
    Last edited by gonzalingui; 03-22-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Un dia vino dios y me dijo:
    Fatboy Slim is ××××ing in heaven!
    http://www.gonzalingui.com.ar

Device(s)
    Nokia 3110c
    Carrier(s)
    Vodaphone India
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Kal-El
    yes there is... in some nokia phones, if u press 0 continously, u get space, then zero, then a little symbol like a mirrored L and an arrow at the bottom of the L...

but with the T9, if u press * key (or choose insert symbol), it should be the last symbol...
    Fastest (?) way is:

yes it is possible, i believe its been covered but here we go anyway...

say u want to type in "cuz" (shorthand/slang to "because") and u press 289... and u press star but u only get buy, btw, buz, aux, etc... just as the dictionary gets to the last word it should show u an option "Spell" that way u can select and type in the word u want, in this case "cuz".. that way every time u press 289, u can press * to find "cuz"...

hope thats clear enought.. iv been known to explain with too much detail at times... [/QUOTE]
    1. press # twice to get out of predictive
    2. Press * twice to get list of smileys
    3. Press up arrow to go to list of character symbols with "carriage return" symbol selected
    4. Click Use

Regards enhancement requests I'd like to be able to a) delete words from the dictionary and b) for words on the * key to be ordered with most often used words first.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3110c
    Carrier(s)
    Vodaphone India
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Kal-El

Fastest (?) way is:
    1. press # twice to get out of predictive
    2. Press * twice to get list of smileys
    3. Press up arrow to go to list of character symbols with "carriage return" symbol selected
    4. Click Use
    Regards enhancement requests I'd like a) to be able to delete words from the dictionary and b) for words on the * key to be ordered with most often used words first.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3110c
    Carrier(s)
    Vodaphone India
    Feedback Score
    2. To type a period just press the 1 key. After you type the period the next letter you
    type will be upper case to the next sentence. If you type a letter then 1 immediately followed by any letter the punctuation will become an apostrophe. e. g. to type he’s you would key 4417. To type numbers hold down the corresponding key about three seconds e.g. to type the words ‘round 1’ you would key 76863(space)1(hold) = round 1. To type round 10 you would key 768631(hold)0(hold.)

To type other punctuation after a word type the word then press 1 immediately followed by the * key. Keep pressing the * key and it will cycle between punctuation symbols ([email protected] etc.)
    It's a bit different on a 3110c with firmware RM-237, a S40 3rd Edition phone. After entering the period (the 1 key which displays a period):
    • The * key can be used to cycle the . through , - ? ! ' @ : ; / and 1. After 1 is displayed the phone offers Symbol and the central navigation key can be used to access all the special characters and graphical smileys -- the same screens you can get in non-predictive mode when you press the * key.
    • If the next key is 1 the phone displays :) and the * key can be used to cycle through "words" of two special characters. Using the standard dictionary this is :( ;) (:* .. ., .- .? .! .' [email protected] .: .; :- ;- .; ./ .1 After .1 is displayed the phone offers Spell. You can save a "word" of two special characters and it will be shown in the list next time.
      • If the next key is 1 the phone displays :-) and the * key can be used to cycle through "words" of three special characters. Using the standard dictionary this is :-( ;-) :-* ... :). :), :)- :)? :)! :)' :)@ :): :); :)/ :)1 :)£. After :)£ is displayed the phone offers Spell. You can save a "word" of three special characters and it will be shown in the list next time.
      • Else if the next key is 2 through 9 the phone accepts whatever "word" of two special characters was last displayed and starts on the next word. If the "word" of two special characters represents a smiley it is converted to a graphical smiley when a space character is entered.
      • Else if the next key is space and the "word" of two special characters represents a smiley then the smiley is converted to a graphical smiley
    • Else if the next key is 2 through 9 the phone displays a "word" from the dictionary composed of one of the 1 key's characters (. , ' ? ! " 1) followed by one of the 2 through 9 key's characters. Using the standard dictionary this is mostly just . followed by one of the things shown on the key (for example 2 a b c) but also includes 'd /g 'l 'm 's 'r 1s 't 'v. What are 'r /g and 1s for?
      • If the next key is 1 or space the the phone accepts whatever "word" of one special character and one normal character was last displayed and starts on the next word.
      • Else if the next key is 2 through 9 the phone gets way too clever for me.
    Simple innit?

Device(s)
    Nokia 3110c
    Carrier(s)
    Vodaphone India
    Feedback Score
    ... Could folks comment as to whether these instructions work for all Nokia's with T9 text input or if it's just for certain models such as the 5190 or 3390?
    Everything you describe works on my 3110c with firmware RM-237, a S40 3rd Edition phone.

It also helps you enter words made up of two words in the dictionary. For example, to enter hotdog:
    1. 468
    2. * as required to cycle through words to hot
    3. click the right navigation key to finish the current word without moving the cursor
    4. 364
    5. * as required to cycle through words to dog

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I have Nokia 3220 phone, this is a old phone and I just activated the voice mail. When I press the "1" number key it ask me for mailbox number, but after entering the number which is provided to me by Fido, it come up with msg. "Request not completed".

Can anyone help me, why I am getting this msg.?

Peter Bhambra

Feedback Score
    hi,
    thanks for T9 useing tips.thanks againe.........(sopnil from gsm forum)

Device(s)
    Nokia 6300
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score
    I never realized tip 3 before cheers

Device(s)
    N91
    Feedback Score
    Zero is always space, double pressing it makes it 0 zero lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast