Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: " Sprint, Verizon are way ahead of Cingular in mobile data bet "

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

" Sprint, Verizon are way ahead of Cingular in mobile data bet "

This was a good article about how Cingular's biggest competitor's are way ahead in 3G deployment, How will Cingular keep up ?

Sprint, Verizon are way ahead of Cingular in mobile data bet

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint and Verizon Wireless are now at least a year ahead of competitors - including Cingular Wireless LLC, the largest carrier - in developing so-called third generation or 3G mobile networks, says Mark Hesse-Withbroe, who helps choose $125 billion of investments at U.S. Bancorp Asset Management in Minneapolis.

How exactly is Sprint a year ahead of Cingular when Sprint doesn't have any EV-DO and Cingular has 6 markets in UMTS? Verizon only has a few more markets than Cingular.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I also thought this was interesting, considering Cingular recently rewarded multi-billion dollar contracts to vendors including Lucent.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yea, I agree, Sprint I think is still using 1rxx, which I understand to be equivalent to our GPRS. Come on, we pretty much have EDGE nationwide, and that's about 150k, which is still pretty fast, not as fast as my 3mb broadband connection but fast enough to hold a video conference.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6340i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Right now, Cingular has an EDGE network which is twice as fast as competitors 1xRTT networks.

Cingular has more UMTS coverage than Sprint has EV-DO coverage (they have none). ATTWS did have more UMTS coverage than Verizon had EV-DO coverage until recently when Verizon leapfrogged them and there is no reason to expect that Verizon won't be leapfrogged by Cingular in the future.

Of coruse, Sprint is unlikely to turn it on market by market like Verizon or Cingular since they are all about the "our network is exactly the same everywhere" thing.

Right now, Verizon says that it won't be done until at least summer 2006. Cingular just isn't that far behind.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think cingular has the potential to have UMTS on their native network by the end of 2005 or by spring 2006.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    NewCingular Wireless powered by ATT
    Feedback Score
    I think that the guy that wrote that article is a little outside the worl he might have slep thru the last 2 years and just cus one of the attornet firms is paying verizon and sprint to build the data network comes to the point of the fact that TDMA and CDMA networks are easier to tap into by feds and in that respect I thinkt that whatever data network they create will be the same it is just another way fro feds to keep track of you.... my 3 cents

CoeXist

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

"It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly´s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world" -Chaos Theory

Device(s)
    lg cu500 6230 b, 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    thanks to the trolls, for continuing to come here and try to stir up ××××.
    eight years on hofo, n00b.

Trollers suck!
    IWDCP Sergeant

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Simple fact about Data in the US. Only one carrier has a nationwide highspeed network, that is Cingular's EDGE network. Verizon has EV-DO in SELECT cities. Verizon also NEEDS spectrum to continue their roll-out of EV-DO. Cingular HAS spectrum to roll-out WCDMA today. They are going to take a little time because there is only so many changes a network can take in a short time before problems appear.

The guy who wrote this article is a MORON. He has ZERO understanding of the domestic and global cellular markets.

EDGE is currently being deployed all over the world in addition to WCDMA/UMTS networks. Vodafone just launched a number (13?) of UMTS networks around the world. EV-DO is going into a few countries (I think it is currently in 3-4, but it may be a few more). I'm not saying EV-DO or UMTS is better, because they both have their strong points.

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Cingular will be too busy with the merger to build a national 3G network before 2007, said Philip Marshall, the director of wireless-technology research at the Yankee Group, a Boston-based research and consulting firm.

Device(s)
    HTC Apache/PPC-6700
    Carrier(s)
    The New Sprint, Getting Worse For Consumers Every Day™
    Feedback Score
    Sprint should have a soft launch of EVDO 1-1-05. This will be in more cities than VZW has. Sprint is currently testing their EVDO, has it deployed/is deploying it in many cities, and demoing it to select clients. Also, they should have national or all metro EVDO by 2Q of 2005.. One thing: its a LOT easier for Sprint or VZW to upgrade to EVDO than it is for Cingular to go to UMTS. Considering there are only 6 UMTS cities now, and Sprint will have 20+ out by the beginning of the year, with VZW having more than that, I would say Sprint is doing a bit better than Cingular.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Let's take into account that this is coming from a new source for Suburban Chicago. They are not exactly the most cutting edge technology journal.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also note that Cingular is probably putting up UMTS everywhere they can afford to now.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    EV-DO will not be nationwide by 2Q '05 for any carrier. EV-DO will not be nationwide in '05. Additionally, expect the WCDMA to roll out much faster than the technology journals are anticipating.

Originally posted by Halo1982
    Sprint should have a soft launch of EVDO 1-1-05. This will be in more cities than VZW has. Sprint is currently testing their EVDO, has it deployed/is deploying it in many cities, and demoing it to select clients. Also, they should have national or all metro EVDO by 2Q of 2005.. One thing: its a LOT easier for Sprint or VZW to upgrade to EVDO than it is for Cingular to go to UMTS. Considering there are only 6 UMTS cities now, and Sprint will have 20+ out by the beginning of the year, with VZW having more than that, I would say Sprint is doing a bit better than Cingular.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by nskgti23
    Let's take into account that this is coming from a new source for Suburban Chicago. They are not exactly the most cutting edge technology journal.
    I apologize, this is coming from Bloomberg News, a good news source. But also a NEW YORK COMPANY with heavy interest in VERIZON...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast