Thread: T-Mobile and EDGE compatible phones

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile and EDGE compatible phones

I'm in the market for a new phone with bluetooth but assuming T-Mobile eventually brings out its EDGE data service would like to make sure it will work with EDGE.

A few questions:

1. Is EDGE like GPRS - if the phone has EDGE support it then it'll work on all EDGE services now matter what carrier. Or will carrirers have their own tweaks that force you to buy a EDGE device designed specifically for their network?

2. Are any T-Mobiles current phones EDGE compatible?

3. Are there any current or soon to be released Moto phones supporting EDGE? How about PDA type devices?

Thanks for any info!

'chops
    Last edited by moschops; 12-11-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Device(s)
    [Moto V80, V3, V300, V400, Samsung E105, Ericsson T28 World, Siemens S40] T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile and EDGE compatible phones

Originally posted by moschops
    I'm in the market for a new phone with bluetooth but assuming T-Mobile eventually brings out its EDGE data service would like to make sure it will work with EDGE.

A few questions:

1. Is EDGE like GPRS - if the phone has EDGE support it then it'll work on all EDGE services now matter what carrier. Or will carrirers have their own tweaks that force you to buy a EDGE device designed specifically for their network?

3. Are there any current or soon to be released Moto phones supporting EDGE? How about PDA type devices?

Thanks for any info!

'chops
    1: It will work on any EDGE network, usually not for free though.

2: No TMO phones aren't EDGE right now. i think the only ones are 6620, 6820, 6320, V551, and those are all from cingular

3: V551. I don't know if the Treo 650 GSM version will have EDGE, but it's unlikely.

Gotta love it

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile and EDGE compatible phones

EDGE is still based on GPRS, like 802.11b and g, they're cross-compatible, phone and providers

not yet
    you have to wait several more months

moto: V551/555, A780US
    smartphone: nokia 6620, 6630, 3230
    pda: Palmone Treo 650GSM

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can also add the Nokia 6230.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks for the info. So I guess I could buy a sim-free V551 or A780 elsewhere and wait for the EDGE to come to me.

Device(s)
    [Moto V80, V3, V300, V400, Samsung E105, Ericsson T28 World, Siemens S40] T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks for the info. So I guess I could buy a sim-free V551 or A780 elsewhere and wait for the EDGE to come to me.
    it's gonna be a while
    Last edited by csw3190; 12-11-2004 at 10:21 PM.

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if edge is being used here in canada then it has to be coming to you guys soon......if not already in selected states.

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sddspence
    if edge is being used here in canada then it has to be coming to you guys soon......if not already in selected states.
    it is in selected markets,but not nationwide which means it's (i think) not able to be used by customers.