Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Instant Messaging/ICQ via P900

Hi all! Lots of good info in here! I saw the intro video - cool! So, after searching this forum for ICQ, IM, Instant Messaging and get no results, I am posting a new thread. I have a SE P900 (phone rocks!) and have had no problems with it - mulit-language SMS to friends in Europe, downloading MS Office files, video, email, MMS, etc.....truly, the Batphone. However, I downloaded the Symbian ICQ.

Download via SMS - great. Installed fine. But, when I try to connect (GPRS), I get a connection error after about a minute of the phone trying. I can SMS, MMS, go to T-Zones (T-Mobile is my carrier) and surf the net. I have had new settings sent to me from T-Mobile for connectivity, I have reinstalled the OS for the phone from Sony-Ericsson.

I have exhausted help at Sony-Ericsson, Hangango, and T-Mobile. As a side note, when I try Yahoo IM, I also get a "wap gateway error." My ICQ and IM work fine on my laptop.

After reading a lot of the really in depth posts here, I hope I can get to the right person. I am grateful for any settings changes you can recommend or guidance. Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do you have T-Zones or Unlimited Internet Access? Which IM app are you using?

I have Unlimited Internet Access and I use AgileMessenger. I have no problems with that config...

Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question IM and Agile Messenger

Soooo....I am checking with T-Mobile about the different account types.....could be the issue. Beyond that, where can I find AgileMessenger and can I use it to chat with a buddy on Yahoo and then another on ICQ?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Re: IM and Agile Messenger

Originally posted by Grisha
    Soooo....I am checking with T-Mobile about the different account types.....could be the issue. Beyond that, where can I find AgileMessenger and can I use it to chat with a buddy on Yahoo and then another on ICQ?

Thanks!
    I know T-Zones blocks ports, so IM doesn't work very well over it. You can get Agile Messenger at http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html. And yes, it is a single interface for all IM platforms - ICQ, MSN, Y!, and AIM.

Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs down It is getting more surreal......

So, I downloaded AgileMessenger - WOW! I installed it and connected immediately to Yahoo. I tried ICQ...no dice, but I did not get an error...got a "Invalid Password"...which is an improvement, as when I go to the ICQ2Go (Java version on ICQ.com), I get the same error...issues at ICQ as my ICQ client app works fine.

I called T-Mobile, and they were cool enough to transfer me to their Tier 2 and 3 support group who checked whether I needed to upgrade to the unlimited Internet before I paid for it. They said that the unlimited is used mainly for connecting to the internet with the phone as a modem for your laptop and data devices. He wasn't sure about the blocked ports....and ended by saying that as the phone is unsupported, there wasn't much more he could do....he was nice about it, but there wasn't much info.

I added that my SIM, when put in a T610, connected to Yahoo just fine. So he thought it was something with the phone and T-Zones and the app (ICQ for Symbian).

So I will see if ICQ fixes their error with passwords..if not I will go back to T-Mobile and talk to the data device folks.

Was your phone configed by SMS from T-Mobile or did you manually do each tab of settings?

Also, on a different topic, do you know of other groups or clubs for P900 owners?

Thanks again for all your help...I hope you don't mind me bugging you....

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Re: It is getting more surreal......

I called T-Mobile, and they were cool enough to transfer me to their Tier 2 and 3 support group who checked whether I needed to upgrade to the unlimited Internet before I paid for it. They said that the unlimited is used mainly for connecting to the internet with the phone as a modem for your laptop and data devices. He wasn't sure about the blocked ports....and ended by saying that as the phone is unsupported, there wasn't much more he could do....he was nice about it, but there wasn't much info.

I added that my SIM, when put in a T610, connected to Yahoo just fine. So he thought it was something with the phone and T-Zones and the app (ICQ for Symbian).
    Yeah, the built-in messenger on their phones works fine on their network - no surprise there. But the Px00 phones need these 3rd party apps, which connect directly to the services - not a proxy. Therefore you need all the ports open, which the Unlimited plan gives you. I don't know why they didn't tell you the same thing.

Was your phone configed by SMS from T-Mobile or did you manually do each tab of settings?
    You can get the settings from Sony Ericsson's website's SMS and GPRS configurator. It'll send the settings directly to your phone. When you get the Unlimited Internet plan, though, you need to make a few changes to the configuration. If I remember right, you have to connect to a different server, but do some searches on Howard Forums, you'll find it.

Also, on a different topic, do you know of other groups or clubs for P900 owners?
    There are a lot of Yahoo! groups. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and do a search for P800, then P900, then P910. You'll find a lot of groups that way.

Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thanks!

I'll call T-Mobile again....service varies depending on who you get.....

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Exactly, your milage may vary... do some searches on this forum, you'll see you're not alone... good luck!