Thread: SX66 Pocket PC vs. Treo 650, which one to get?

Device(s)
    razr maxx ve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

SX66 Pocket PC vs. Treo 650, which one to get?

I ordered the 650, but last night I got to check out the SX66 for the first time and now I'm utterly confused as to which one to get. Was wondering if any of you would like to give me some input/feedback on the phones.
    hello world

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    It's an age old question, Palm or Pocket PC.

It's also been asked several times before here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...%2Btreo+%2B650

I'd also read this article.

It's really a question of which OS suits you best. Palm or Pocket PC.

Have you ever used a PDA before?
    Check out my reviews here.

Device(s)
    razr maxx ve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not really, I used a Blackberry 7100t for a week but TMO's coverage was horrid in my neighborhood so I had to take it back.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Again it's a tough choice and I think it's best if you personally decide.

Both phones have their troubles and both phones do things well. I love my PDA2K. Wifi is so great on a PDA. However, I came from the Treo and loved it too.

There's also a trial period remember. So you could start with one device, try it for a bit, then switch to the other one, try it for a bit and then pick.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (eimajuno's: SonyEricssonP900/R102 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 Rev/MR4)

I vote for the treo. Its smaller and more phonelike then the sx66. I do however like the ppc interface better than palm os, but the sx66 is just too big.
    Follow me on twitter

I don't fear god. If it existed, it would fear me.

eimajuno's HoFo Feedback 100%+

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Treo 650...

SX66 has no EDGE so it is SLOW...

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There are probably a couple things to consider other than the OS (that decision trumps all others). Do you want to keep your email, calendar, and contacts up to date via an exchange server connection? Then the SX-66 is a better choice. If you only need email and calendar than the Treo is fine. Will you use your phone/PDA to surf the web? If so then consider the SX66 if you frequent locations with hotspots or the Treo if you are free range.

I think the Treo is a better compromise device than the SX66 but I use the SX66 mainly because of better wireless synching.

Device(s)
    Moto Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    They're both awesome! I was about to get a Treo 600 in November, but found out it was soon to be updated. Then I found out the SX66 was coming too. I researched both and was not sure what one I wanted, but the SX66 came out much sooner so I went with it.

Later, I considered looking into the Treo 650 just because it was now out there (even though about letting my wife have the sx66), but the big screen and hidden keyboard on the Siemens won out. I need my PDA-size screen.

I've used & loved Palm devices for years, but now prefer the MS format. I mostly use the speakerphone or BT headset, but holding the larger sx66 to my ear isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Plus I love the looks I get when people see my talking on my PDA!

Whichever one you get, I think you'll win. If you have second thoughts, return it in a week or two and try the other.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not to add to your confusion, but I was looking into the same options as you and I also have never had a PDA phone before (except for a Sickick if that counts). I'm actually thinking of getting an unlocked Sony Ericsson P910a. Unlike most unlocked phones, it has the 850 band which you need for Cingular and Sony Ericsson USA actually supports this device very well from what I understand. It was made for this market, but no carrier has picked it up. You can read about it in the UIQ forum or at Sony Ericsson's website. I'm leaning towards this because it's more phone-like than either the treo or the SX66, yet it seems to have all of the same PDA capabilities. Plus, if can avoid purchasing a PDA phone directly from Cingular, then I can keep using my Media Works data plan and won't be forced to get the PDA/Smartphone $39.99 data plan.