Thread: Is It Possible to Port a Number Registered to One Name to Another Account?

Device(s)
    Sanyo 4900
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Is It Possible to Port a Number Registered to One Name to Another Account?

Alright, I ordered my phone already from Cingular and it was assigned a new number. I now want to port my old phone number from Sprint PCS to this new phone. The problem is, the account isn't under my name it's under my step-dad's because I was 16 at the time I first got the phone. I have all the account information, including his social security number, the account number, etc. What steps should I take to port this number if at all possible? What phone number would be the best number to call, or should I go to a store? Everything else is fine, the number is active, the only problem is our names don't match. Thanks a lot guys.
    Impatiently waiting for the S710a to be released, before I prematurely jump ship and buy a phone I won't be satisfied with.

Device(s)
    Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    no it has to be under the same ss as it started out. you could do a change of liability at sprint to have it put in your name and ss then port to cingular!
    I have gone to find myself, if i get back before i return please tell me to wait.

Device(s)
    SonyEricsson P900
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular-GSM
    Feedback Score
    ^^^^ the above information is wrong. i have done a ton of port activations with that situation. the husband has a cingular account, the wife has a sprint account. they want to be on a FT cingular plan. the port request is put together with the wifes sprint account info, but the credit check info is with the husbands info. the credit check recognizes the husbands SS# and will come back based on existing service and then you go from there porting the wifes number to the cingular account in the husbands name.

the same can be done in your situation when you are only talking about one line. the only problem might be that unless your stepfather is with you, it might look a little suspect. i would recommend going to a store to do it. be sure to do it in the first 30 day trial period, otherwise you will have problems or possible fees in porting in to replace the existing number, because you will essnetially be creating a new line all together and then canceling the original.

Device(s)
    Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The father would HAVE to be there, otherwise it is fraud. You can find some unreputable dealers to do it.... It can also take a while to port and cause headaches which is why my way is easier, ive spent a lot of time on the phone getting these corrected.

Device(s)
    Sanyo 4900
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, my step-dad's an hour and a half away. Would it be easier to get Sprint to change his account to my name with all necessary information or Cingular to just port over a different name?

Device(s)
    Sanyo 4900
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, my step-dad's an hour and a half away. Would it be easier to get Sprint to change his account to my name with all necessary information or Cingular to just port over a different name?

Device(s)
    Motorola V3(1 silver & 1 black)/Motorola V551(quite modded)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular (orange)
    Feedback Score
    You certainly can port the number out of a carrier from one name into a carrier in a different name. You would be best off trying to do this at an agent location since they are typically a little more "lenient" with the rules as far as your step-dad physically being there. The only problem is most agents or dealers are going to be very apprehensive about helping you since you did not purchase anything from them. Best case scenarion--try to get your step-dad to be there when you do it and go to a company-owned retail store.

Device(s)
    Me: HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T since 11/01
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by promiseringer
    You certainly can port the number out of a carrier from one name into a carrier in a different name. You would be best off trying to do this at an agent location since they are typically a little more "lenient" with the rules as far as your step-dad physically being there. The only problem is most agents or dealers are going to be very apprehensive about helping you since you did not purchase anything from them. Best case scenarion--try to get your step-dad to be there when you do it and go to a company-owned retail store.
    Maybe they (stepfather & OP) could simultaneously be in two different Cingular -owned stores working on the transfer? Or is that crazy?

(I'm figuring that the two stores could call eachother...)
    My first cell plan was with Cellular One (circa 10/94). It was $49.95/month for 100 LOCAL minutes, voicemail was $4.95/month extra, and it was an additional $.10 to per call to call a landline. No "nights"! - only weekends.
    Now: Nation 850 (total of 4 lines): Unlimited M2M & N/W~$79.97/mo. No landline since 1/05!

Right now I feel:

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 2/Pantch Impact (blue)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t mobility
    Feedback Score
    When I ported my husband from Verizon, he was on a family plan with his parents in his dad's name. We set a time with his dad to go to a corporate store to do the port. We brought Dad and a recent paper bill. My husband's parents live an hour away. We just planned ahead about a week. The port went smoothly, my bill is correct, and everyone is happy.

How you and your step-dad get in the same place is up to you, but you're probably going to need to be in the same place to do a transfer of liability and Sprint will probably have to run a credit check and blah blah blah.

Tell your step-dad you'll buy him a Happy Meal and then go to the store. Take a paper bill with you. It'll take 30-45 minutes to do the port and a few hours out of your life, but it'll be worth it.

After we did the port, we went to the in-law's house and watched their big screen HDTV and played with their dogs. Was a nice day.
    "I'm not drunk. I'm Scottish."

Device(s)
    Motorola ROKR
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I seem to remember this being done by Cing port activation center- customers can call this number-1-888-898-7685- you can ask them what must be done in order to complete, and they might be able to handle it, but honestly the best way to do it, like someone above said, is to go to a store, because you are going to need a new sim card anyways. Because basicly what they have to do is give you a whole new account- its not just like changing a number.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3(1 silver & 1 black)/Motorola V551(quite modded)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular (orange)
    Feedback Score
    You wouldn't necessarily have to get a new sim card...I've done plenty of post-activation ports where the customer didn't have to get a new sim card. So I guess you could try to 800 number and see if they they would help you.