Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: is there GSM in Korea

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    DRNewcomb, you used a W-CDMA phone from the UK in Japan........

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by DRNewcomb
    Here is a link to the PARC (Pan-American Roaming Consortium) roaming maps. These show where international CDMA/TDMA/analog roaming works.

The place that comes to mind is Brazil. Japan does not really count since a US phone won't work there (for complex techinical reasons). Mexico is another but their GSM coverage is now pretty good. India: no. As I understand it, CDMA is just used there for WLL.
    PARC lists only TDMA carriers for Brazil. Can one assume there is a CDMA carrier with extensive coverage not affiliated with this roaming service? (Non roaming is okay since it is my intention to get a prepaid plan in that country if I can with a phone that I am not using at home.) Ah, now I understand about the Japan situation, apparently something about their usage of an unusual frequency. I checked with gsmworld.org and they do have GSM there but the map looks spotty and I suspect it is not as extenstive as their CDMA...but again my CDMA StarTAC wouldn't work there anyways.

Originally posted by badgerbadger
    You can do with two phones, a W-CDMA one and some phone that has 850 or 850+1900 if you...Youmay or may not need TDMA in Brazil as far as I know... Most countries have some sort of GSM in South America, it's only if you go into the countryside...Another factor that I've just thought of, is how you are travelling between these countries.
    Brazil and South America is still at least 2 years away so the situation there will be clarified by then.

Thanks everyone for the advice, including some issues of which would never have come to mind.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6680
    Carrier(s)
    Telia
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by badgerbadger
    You can do with two phones, a W-CDMA one and some phone that has 850 or 850+1900 if you buy a dual band + W-CDMA phone. Whatever W-CDMA phone you buy, you will have to have it imported. eBay has sellers from Europe selling these phones, and it may be worth the hassle bidding on an unlocked one to minimize problems of having one locked in the US, as you will have to have it sent away, although some can do Remote Unlocking........

In your first lot of countries you will be fine, if you have a W-CDMA phone with some GSM bands, and also anher GSM phone to cover bands not covered by that W-CDMA phone, and you are right, there is no phone currently with all 4 GSM bands as well as W-CDMA.

Youmay or may not need TDMA in Brazil as far as I know, I can't advise you much mroe because I have never used CDMA or TDMA or been to South America. Most countries have some sort of GSM in South America, it's only if you go into the countryside you might need some other phone, so you can probably do with the current ones in the big cities.

Another factor that I've just thought of, is how you are travelling between these countries. If it's a plane tri from airpor tto airport, then you woudl probably be fine, but if you are going by road across borders, accross countryside, and you don't have the necessary bands, you might lack coverage in large areas, or something, certianly, coverage in China is still patchy from what I've heard, mainly because the towers are so far apart, etc..... China's a big place.

Australia and Mexico have other technolgies besides GSM, I think China uses something else too, but GSM is becoming more popular in China.... maybe someone else can adivse from here......
    You can do all the places Richard mentioned (Mexico, mainland China, Japan, India and Australia + the EU) with one phone. The Nokia 6630 (www.nokia6630.com) is one such phone; I believe Siemens and SonyEricsson also make such models. The phone is WCDMA+GSM 900/1800/1900. Mexico is GSM1900. China, India, Australia and the EU are GSM 900/1800. Japan is WCDMA.

Yes, there is no phone that is quad band GSM + WCDMA. But that only means you out of luck in 850 only countries, which AFAIK are limited to Ecuador, Uruguay, Colombia, Panama, the Turks and Caicos islands and Montserrat. And of course, you are also out of luck in the four remaining countries that have no GSM at all: Haiti, the Solomon Islands, Nauru and Niue.

Brazil's GSM 1800 coverage is very solid now, although I wouldn't state categorically that it's better than cdma. All the other places mentioned (as DRNewcomb pointed out) have better or much better GSM coverage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3