Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Watch out....$1,430 EVDO Charge

Feedback Score

Watch out....$1,430 EVDO Charge

I was at Starbucks and overheard a guy talking about how he was gonna sue Verizon cause they told him he could use his lgx8000 phone for the internet and there would be no data charged...but, he was charged! I am paying $79 a month to use my lgx8000 for unlimited evdo use, but hear some people, who have the unlimited $15 vcast, are paying NOTHING! What is going on here?

Device(s)
    It depends on the mood.
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what is going on. I have the $79 unlimited plan on my data card, and don't see additional charges. The $15 vcast plan, might just be that, vcast only. Someone getting nailed for over a $1000 sounds to that they are using their phone as a modem with their laptop. I could be wrong.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The EVDO data is unlimited use when using Mobile Web if you have VCAST. If he is tethering it and thinking he can get it for free when other people pay $75/month for it, he is mistaken.

KC

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like you can use EVDO for data without a data plan, it just deducts minutes, like NAMOU. If that's the case, I think it's perfectly reasonable.

Feedback Score
    yes, he was using it as a modem for his laptop.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid, LG VX 8550
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    V CAST cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as permitted via Get It Now and getWeb; (2) for any applications that tether your phone to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now; (4) for sustained, high bandwidth applications, including, without limitation,Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, Voice over IP (VoIP), or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, deny or terminate data services, without notice, for anyone we believe is using the V CAST service in any manner prohibited above, whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels or whose usage exceeds reasonable levels.We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G-S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T effective: 11/24/07
    Feedback Score

Re: Watch out....$1,430 EVDO Charge

Originally posted by dog352
    I was at Starbucks and overheard a guy talking about how he was gonna sue Verizon cause they told him he could use his lgx8000 phone for the internet and there would be no data charged...but, he was charged! I am paying $79 a month to use my lgx8000 for unlimited evdo use, but hear some people, who have the unlimited $15 vcast, are paying NOTHING! What is going on here?
    It all depends on what he was told, and what he actually used his vx8000 for.

Perhaps it was a billing error, I had to massive billing errors last year, or perhaps he was tethering which is a violation of the TOU that were posted above.

Device(s)
    VX-8300
    Feedback Score
    quick question:

Arn't we allowed to connect via nationalaccess for minutes?

If so, can't you just tell the verizon people that the phone chooses to connect to EVDO if available(my 8000 takes the EVDO signal over the 1Xrtt).

Also, on my bill, it shows up as using mintues just like regular data calls would. No problem.

thanks

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8700 - Current IPAQ 6515, QTEK 9100, Treo 650 SE p910a
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM - Current -
    Feedback Score
    I use my V710 as a modem through my laptop... Was told that it only uses my minutes... thats what verizon told me so it sure as hell better be correct!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G-S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T effective: 11/24/07
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Sk8Surfr
    I use my V710 as a modem through my laptop... Was told that it only uses my minutes... thats what verizon told me so it sure as hell better be correct!
    The OP was referring to tethering using an EV-DO device, a slightly different matter.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8700 - Current IPAQ 6515, QTEK 9100, Treo 650 SE p910a
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM - Current -
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Southbay
    The OP was referring to tethering using an EV-DO device, a slightly different matter.
    Oh ok, i was just re-assuring that i was not going to get charged... thanks

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Sk8Surfr
    Oh ok, i was just re-assuring that i was not going to get charged... thanks
    You have to use QNC only to not be charges.You cant use 1xRTT.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6015i
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Mark_K
    You have to use QNC only to not be charges.You cant use 1xRTT.
    That may be Verizon's intention, although it is not clear in my AC contract how I would be charged for data. It simply says that data "could" be subject to an additional charge. And in practice, there have been no charges for 1xRTT other than minutes for me. They may be more careful with EVDO, but even that is not clear yet.

Device(s)
    Samsung S5 android, ATT Netgear Explote 815S,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon wireless and AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it posted here on HOFO

you cannot have Vcast & Nation Enhanced Services ( na-mou )

1 or the other NOT both

if you buy an 8000 and sign up for Vcast they remove the NA-MOU from your contract

Vcast gives you Mobile web on the phone ,BUT NO na-mou access

you are not allowed to tether you phone to your computer and use 1x or vcast ....ONLY QNC at the slow rate

if you changed phones and DID not sign up for Vcast,

( kept your old plan )

then you still have MOU, if you changed plans, You are SOL
    TheMopedwhiz aka TheeWizard,

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Re: Watch out....$1,430 EVDO Charge

Originally posted by dog352
    I was at Wal-Mart and overheard a guy saying he knows where Saddam is hiding his WMDs!

OP, your post reeks of BS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast