Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Telefonica Buying out Bell south in Latin America

Feedback Score
    Ah, the CDG and its inflated CDMA adoption claims...

In fact there is only ONE CDMA mobile telephony provider in Brazil: Vivo. Vivo is the result of a merger between Telefónica's and Portugal Telecom's cellular assets in Brazil, and a series of subsequent purchases. As a result, Vivo is made up of several companies operating under one brand name. CENERP, listed there, is a Vivo company.

All the CDMA trials listed on the CDG site resulted in nothing; and they even list Brazil's telecomms regulatory agency (Anatel) as a CDMA operator, when it fact it ran a one-off trial of a 450MHz CDMA deployment.

THe only other company that uses CDMA is Embratel (Vésper), which holds WLL local telephony licenses in many regions of the country. Their phones operate on the 1900MHz band and its network is forbidden by law to allow handoffs (it's got a fixed telephony license after all).

That's it for CDMA in Brazil. Vivo is a market leader but it's losing its market share to GSM competition.

Carrier(s)
    Every CDMA MNO
    Feedback Score
    I hate to say it as I'm a CDMA fan but Movistar (Telefonica) has shifted to GSM and CTi has already shifted to CDMA definitely. CTi doesn't activate any CDMA phones anymore and Movistar is giving you a hard time to activate a CDMA phone, they said that they're moving to GSM and that they rather not have any new CDMA clients.

I understand CTi is doing this as they only had cdmaOne but it's crazy that Movistar is taking their CDMA 1xRTT stuff to the dumper. I really don't understand why they don't want CDMA at all.

Feedback Score
    testing

Device(s)
    SE k750
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't mean to threadjack but if I were buying a Razr for a friend in peru who has MOVISTAR right now, what one would I buy? The cdma razr or the gsm one and would either even work? If they are changing to GSM wouldn't it be smarter to wait? Thanks.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    According to GSM World, your friend would need the GSM V3 Razr that has GSM 850. Movistar Peru uses only 850:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_pe.shtml
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Device(s)
    Motorola Photon Q
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    i dont think many people are on the telefonica movistar gsm network yet... ill have to call someone i know in peru who is probally still on movistar to see if they are on the gsm system yet they might be on claro now

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8520, Unlocked HipTop Slide
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ah this is an awesome thread. Telefonica Movistar (Ex-Telcel/Bellsouth) in Venezuela is slowly setting up their GSM network around the country. They are running of the 850Mhz band, and they already have ads on national magazines. When I went over to Venezuela this Christmas, I tried using my Sidekick, aside from forgetting my charger, Sidekick 3's do not have the 900Mhz band, which is the one that Digitel-TIM uses (T-Mo's roaming partner in Venezuela, and supposedly the only GSM carrier) so I couldn't use it. Sidekick 3's do have the 850Mhz band, so I checked my network info and found a network named VZ850. So apparently they're slowly working on the crossover to GSM. I think its great, finally Digitel-TIM will have some competition and maybe lower their prices, those crooks. GSM all the way =]

Device(s)
    Motorola Photon Q
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDaTiger
    Ah this is an awesome thread. Telefonica Movistar (Ex-Telcel/Bellsouth) in Venezuela is slowly setting up their GSM network around the country. They are running of the 850Mhz band, and they already have ads on national magazines. When I went over to Venezuela this Christmas, I tried using my Sidekick, aside from forgetting my charger, Sidekick 3's do not have the 900Mhz band, which is the one that Digitel-TIM uses (T-Mo's roaming partner in Venezuela, and supposedly the only GSM carrier) so I couldn't use it. Sidekick 3's do have the 850Mhz band, so I checked my network info and found a network named VZ850. So apparently they're slowly working on the crossover to GSM. I think its great, finally Digitel-TIM will have some competition and maybe lower their prices, those crooks. GSM all the way =]
    Yes I noticed on Gsmworld their was a Telefonica/Movistar gsm network for peru in addition to the Tim/Claro network

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2