Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VX4700 Data Cable

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Hey man, everything's groovy.....

If we can't change it, no biggie. I'm sure it's so they can have their own signature chirpy sound, like Nextel. Whatever. I'm just happy that it works, and that I could use my own mp3 collection to create ringtones from. So, I have a phone that works, and I'm happy.....

I'm easy, can't you tell?

Device(s)
    Moto XT894 Droid 4, Samsung SCH-i515 SGN
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Americonium
    I would like to thank everyone that contributed to this post. By deciphering all of your individual comments, I was able to connect to my 4700, add mp3 ringtones, create mp3 ringtones, add pictures for wallpaper, and even update the phone book so that I wouldn't have to insert each one through the keypad.

I've got Audacity for mp3 ring-tone creating, QPST for file loading, and BitPim 0.7.33 for the phone book(I used the vx4400 setting to take care of that).
    Wow, thanks for this update Americonium. When you say that you updated your phonebook, does that mean you were able to upload entries from a .CSV file, or from MS Outlook, or from an existing BitPim file from an older phone? Or a scenario I haven't listed? I don't see anything specific in the BitPim documentation about how to upload addressbook data.

Thank you!

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Maybe updated was not quite the right terminology. I typed it all in and transmitted it into the phone via bitpm. However, it's much easier than punching it in with the keypad on the phone.

Device(s)
    Moto XT894 Droid 4, Samsung SCH-i515 SGN
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quick Update

After calling around for availability, I went to a VZW retail store this evening and got what must have been the last MOK in my area that contains a USB-to-Serial cable that exactly matches the LG VX4650. (I ended up buying a MOK for the 3200 - cable also compatible with 6100 and 7000).

I loaded the enclosed Prolific drivers and the cable was detected right way. The enclosed Smith Micro Phone Manager software was crippled - it did not let me complete installation because it detected my 4650 as "incompatible" with a 3200 package. I would have appreciated the chance to say "OK, I understand the risks and want to go ahead anyway."

So I moved on to BitPim to attempt to upload contacts. There is a menu command to import directly from an Outlook profile which worked pretty well, considering the purchase price. I wouldn't mind seeing an easier or faster way to map Outlook fields to telephone fields. After a few fits and starts, I successfully uploaded about 200 contacts from an Outlook profile.

I encountered a brief obstacle with QPST but thanks to HoFo I went and found the instructions that require the detection and configuration of a specific port (in my case COM9). I was able to upload both ringtones and wallpaper, but I got a fright when I got a warning about a "Bad File Name - Error Code 113" in QPST. Apparently my file name was too long. So keep your mp3 file names pretty short.

Overall I'm pretty pleased, although I wish VZW had timed my phone's launch with the release of OEM accessories like the MOK. Since the 3200 s/w is useless to me I'm thinking of returning the kit and getting a new one when it is released for the 4650/4700, or trying out a third party tool like DataPilot or that MobileAction tool. Thanks everyone for your great documentation and sharing of knowledge!

Feedback Score
    What folder do the ringtones go into?

Feedback Score
    I have succedded with the above method using BitPim on a VX4650 phone. I am using the settings for a VX4400 and through the file tree can add and delete ringtones and wallpapers. Thanks for the info!

Ringtones - user/sound/ringer

EDIT: Just wanted to let you guys know I transferred an MP3 and am using that as my ringtone, didn't have to convert or rename to midi format.
    Last edited by LGPhunk; 07-27-2005 at 10:41 AM.

Device(s)
    LG vx8500
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I use mp3 format for my ringtones as well without having to rename them to midi.

Device(s)
    LG VX4650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFishing
    Greetings, folks.

I like just about everything I've heard about the VX4700's non-PTT cousin, the VX4650, and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and buy one.

What's holding me up is the thought of having to enter 250+ contacts manually. Can anyone confirm that they have been able to upload or download contacts in bulk between a PC and a VX4700? If so, could you tell us which cable, tool, and configuration settings you used? I'd love to find out that this is possible, or at least might be possible in the near future.

Thanks in advance.
    My Verizon dealer took all my contacts from my old Motorola phone and put them in the LG 4650 phone. They have a machine that does this. They say they charge $15 or so... but if you wheel and deal, you can get them to do it for free.

Device(s)
    LG UX245
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know where to find QPST? I have had little luck finding it. Thanks.
    Phil

Device(s)
    vx-4650 me
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce95
    My Verizon dealer took all my contacts from my old Motorola phone and put them in the LG 4650 phone. They have a machine that does this. They say they charge $15 or so... but if you wheel and deal, you can get them to do it for free.
    If you talk to them enough they will give you just about anything. Phone contact transfers are all gravy for them. So if you buy the phone tell them up front before the purchase that you want the transfer for free. That way you'lll know if there going to be cool about it.

Device(s)
    VX-4650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hi folks,

I know I'm a little late to the party here... this looks like a lot of great information but it's a bit sprawling. I'm wondering if someone who's successfully transferring files to the VX4650 would mind posting what exactly they're using, so we can find it all in one place? Pretty please? Cable/driver/software/settings/procedure if possible would be awesome. I'm trying to use a USB data cable that purports to be compatible with the 4700, and neither BitPim nor DataPilot is detecting it, so I could really use the help.

Thank you!!!
    Ron Moses

Feedback Score
    Alright, I have a vx4650 and here's what I have done:

I started off by buying a cable from ebay from this person: http://stores.ebay.com/DWOODSZ-COM-USB-Data-cables

I started by installing the LGUSBDriver. The Driver is v3.35.0.600
    I have the Diagnostic Port set to COM2
    The USBModem is set to COM4

I then installed BitPim. I used the version that was on the CD that the guy gave me from ebay, which is v0.7.25-official

For the settings, I went to "Edit->Settings" I used LG VX4400 for the phone, and COM2 (whichever COM port is your Diagnostic Port)

To see everything, go to the "Filesystem" Tab and click on the "+".

To put wallpapers on your phone, go to "dload->img" and right click on "img" and go to "New File". Find the wallpaper you want on your computer and put it in that img directory. NEXT, delete the BrewImageIndex file in the "download->dloadindex" directory. Right click on any directory and click "Reboot Phone" Once it's rebooted go to the Media directory on your phone itself to see the wallpapers.

To put ringtones on your phone, go to "user->sound->ringer" click on the "ringer" directory and choose "New File". Find the ringer you want from your computer and put it in the ringer directory. NEXT, delete the BrewRingerIndex file in the "download->dloadindex" directory. Right click on any directory and click "Reboot Phone" Once it's rebooted go to the Settings directory on your phone itself to see the ringer.

Hope that helps...

Device(s)
    VX-4650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you LGPhunk! That provides quite the tidy road map. Very much appreciated!!!

EDIT: Yay!!! It's working. BitPim still insists it can't find my phone, but it does show the file system and transfers files. I just added a ringtone, it was a piece of cake. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Ron Moses
    Last edited by ron2112; 08-04-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Device(s)
    LG UX245
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any hints as to how to back up the phonebook?

One question : I read (above)
    "I started by installing the LGUSBDriver. The Driver is v3.35.0.600 I have the Diagnostic Port set to COM2 The USBModem is set to COM4"

Where did you find these settings?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I found the settings in the Device Manager, I'm using Windows XP.

As far as the phonebook, it is in the "pim" directory, called pbnumber.dat but no idea how to back it up onto your computer, just save it(?)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast