Page 1013 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 13 513 913 963 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013
Results 15,181 to 15,188 of 15188

Thread: The Monster USCC Off-Topic Thread

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I went months without visiting HoFo at all but recently switched from Verizon to AT&T and visit every week or so to see what’s new with them.

I don’t know what’s keeping US Cellular in business besides old people and apathy.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays... View Post
    I went months without visiting HoFo at all but recently switched from Verizon to AT&T and visit every week or so to see what’s new with them.

I don’t know what’s keeping US Cellular in business besides old people and apathy.
    Up here at least, they still maintain the coverage lead, though Verizon is VERY close, and you can roam in-market on them anywhere USCC doesn't have coverage (and vice versa). As for data speeds, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all beat them by a lot, they always seem to come in last in that category. A lot of my family here stays with USCC, because of the coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Up here at least, they still maintain the coverage lead, though Verizon is VERY close, and you can roam in-market on them anywhere USCC doesn't have coverage (and vice versa). As for data speeds, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all beat them by a lot, they always seem to come in last in that category. A lot of my family here stays with USCC, because of the coverage.
    How does TMobile coverage compare in your area? Is it decent overall?

Device(s)
    Motorola X Pure Edition (US, 64GB), iPad Pro 10.5 256GB Cellular
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I'm likely over to Google Fi soon because I can have USCC's coverage (along with Tmo and Sprint), and I can gain WiFi Calling, which it'll probably be a colder day in hell before USCC supports. They barely have VoLTE going.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    How does TMobile coverage compare in your area? Is it decent overall?
    It's okay, they didn't get up here to Mendocino County until 2009, so they have the newest network of the four providers here (AT&T, VZ, USCC, TMO). Verizon and USCC definitely rule the roost on coverage here, AT&T is still in third, though T-Mobile is catching up fast.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @ilvla2: I see you're nearby!

Verizon's coverage has improved significantly over the last few years, but USCC still seems to have the best coverage overall, particularly with 2G, which brings me to this question: since Verizon is shutting down its 2G CDMA network by December, and the future of Sprint's is uncertain, what is USCC doing? I haven't heard any news that they're switching off their 2G network, but maybe they are?

c

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post
    @ilvla2: I see you're nearby!

Verizon's coverage has improved significantly over the last few years, but USCC still seems to have the best coverage overall, particularly with 2G, which brings me to this question: since Verizon is shutting down its 2G CDMA network by December, and the future of Sprint's is uncertain, what is USCC doing? I haven't heard any news that they're switching off their 2G network, but maybe they are?

c
    Hey! Where ya at in NW CA? Redwood Valley is halfway between Ukiah and Willits. On Sprint, I'm not sure, they don't have coverage in Mendocino County, and only one, TINY site (Lakeport) in Lake County, relying on USCC for service. USCC usually shuts down their older tech (TDMA, AMPS) at a slower rate than the big guys, so I'm guessing they'll keep CDMA around for at least 2-3 more years. I will see if I can find out any more, and post it here.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That'd be great! We have one of their home phone boxes, and I'm fairly certain it uses the CDMA network. I don't know if it's 2G or 3G, but it must be one or the other (or perhaps both?), so a full CDMA shutdown would likely render it useless, along with almost every other phone built before 2014. Verizon gets to do what it wants because it's so big, but I don't think it's in USCC's best interests to push through a shutdown so soon, so they'll probably adopt a wait-and-see approach and go from there.

To that end, it's been my observation that CDMA is far superior in terms of reliable coverage in rural areas (which most of Mendocino and Lake counties are) than GSM, and since 4G/LTE is a GSM-based technology, coverage is going to be a bit spottier up here than in the big metropolitan areas, where I'm sure the majority of Verizon's customers are, and since USCC's LTE coverage is a bit weaker and slower than everyone else's, they'd probably lose alot of their customers if they shutdown their 2G now.

I looked over Sprint's coverage map, and it seems they have coverage which is somewhat comparable to T-Mobile (which is to say, not the best, but good enough for phone calls and basic data). That being said, I'm sure they rely heavily on roaming agreements, perhaps with USCC.

At any rate, I'm going to try activating an old dumb phone on a Sprint MVNO (Ting Mobile) and see what happens (probably nothing but disappointment, but I haven't got much to lose).

Where am I? I'm over in Kelseyville, out in the fuel-laden hills a bit northwest of the geysers (one of the only areas in Lake that hasn't burned to a crisp yet!). Thinking of moving somewhere a bit more fire safe (i.e., more defensible), however, because Lake county has been hammered relentlessly the past few years, and I don't think I can take it anymore! It seems either Ukiah or Willits aren't too bad if one stays east of 101 (where it's fairly flat and open), but we'll see, because there doens't seem to be much available there at the moment.

c

Page 1013 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 13 513 913 963 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013