Thread: Receiving Phone Calls While Using Data Connection

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Receiving Phone Calls While Using Data Connection

I cannot remember where I read it but I think some threads on different forums reported that Treo 650 cannot pick up phone calls while it is using Data connection. The phone calls would be directed to the voice mail.

I am happy to report this is not true on the unlocked PalmOne Treo 650 using Cingular Blue. Last Sunday, while waiting for a table in front of a crowed restaurant, I was surfing on the Treo 650. My phone rang and one of my friends called and told me he was running late. In fact, he called again to ask for directions when I was reading Hofo.
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS (Current)
    Feedback Score
    Same thing on my Cingular branded (unlocked though ) Treo 650.
    Highest score on Snake 1 on my Nokia 8290: 1737

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe that it's a difference between GSM and CDMA. CDMA phones must be either no or grey arrows for a call to come in, otherwise it goes to voicemail.

Device(s)
    BB 8800R
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Rogers Demo Line
    Feedback Score
    Just tried it on my (Rogers Treo lock), the call will only come thru when the web page is fully loaded. So when you are transfering data it will go to vm. But if the page is done it will then ring.
    There are people who watch what happens.
    There are people who wonder what happens.
    There are leaders who make things happen.
    Everyone is one of them, You make the difference.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It has to do with how quickly 1xRTT (CDMA) and GPRS/EDGE (GSM) stabilize after data is being sent/received. GSM handles that better and allows for calls to come in much more quickly after data has stopped transmitting. So, it appears calls come in better. On either system, during an active data transmission, calls will go to voicemail.

Joe

Device(s)
    Nokia 6820
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular (TDMA and GSM)
    Feedback Score
    I have a Treo 650 w/Cingular. Anyway to have it "pause" the data connection while its in use to let a call come in? For example I listen to MP3 streams at work but when I call comes in I want it to ring the handset and not get forwarded to voicemail and stop my music.
    Well, let me guess. You're either lost, or desperately searching for a good tailor.

Device(s)
    Verizon Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

no....as long as there is an active data connection, calls will be diverted to vmail.....
    Bell Atlantic > Voicestream > T-Mobile > AT&T > Cingular > Nextel > Cingular > AT&T Sprint > Verizon AT&T Sprint

Feedback Score
    I thought that with GPRS or Edge, an incoming call during data transmission would ring through to the phone and pause the data session. Therefore, if listening to a streaming radio station using GPRS or Edge, an incoming call will ring, and can be answered, and will pause the data session. Are you saying that is false?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that is false. See my post above for details.

Joe

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if the ability to handle phone calls while in a data connection mode will improve with the next upgrades of CDMA that Verizon is now deploying? (EV-DO)