Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Treo 600/650 Mail Programs Review UPDATED

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score

Post Treo 600/650 Mail Programs Review UPDATED

With the recent release of MyMail, I felt it necessary to compare three of the programs i have used before:

Please note I think I forgot to add some pictures. If I did, I will post them later.

Visto MyMail

Rogers, now that they understand email is very important, has made a program, like their previous Visto GetMail, called Visto MyMail. Its goal was to adopt a push style method of email delivery to your handheld (at this time support is only available for the Treo 650, 600 and the Audiovox SMT6500, i think thats the number). To configure the email accounts linked to the this program, going to http://mymail.rogers.com will allow you to edit your email accounts etc.

What makes this program useful, is that it checks for email in the background. It doesnt wake up the Treo, or show a status. Thats all great, but now the downside. The interface is rather, well blah. But what makes this program more annoying is that it doesnt check every minute. I have experienced delays in getting my mail to my handheld anywhere from 20 minutes, to 2 hours. That is unacceptable. Furthermore the notification options are not great. You can augment the LED, however based on my experiences and that of others, the LED will malfunction afterwards. Thank goodness I have Butler to reset the LED. Next you can have it show a notification, chime and vibrate. With the notification function off, it will not show the flashing asterix ever should you have email. But when you have it on, and you have chime on, the sound will only play for a millisecond. Vibrate has to be on all the time if you want it to vibrate in silent mode.

To add insult to injury, the battery usage is much higher using this program for mail when compared to using Versamail and Snappermail.

Its useful in it does what its supposed to do, but not great.

Here are some screenshots:

Snapperfish Snappermail

Before the Treo 650 came out, and the Treo 600 was the highest end model at the time, Snappermail and Chatter were the top two email clients for getting email. Snappermail 1.8x was successful, but when Snappermail 2.x came out, it blew 1.8x out of the water. A nicer interface and what not.

Snappermail is easy to set up, configure and use. They also added a nice feature for if you dont want to use a stylus, and just your finger. I use my finger a lot. Especially to pick my nose, dang nosebleeds. Sorry i wanted to see if you were paying attention .

This is the Enterprise version, so it has all the features. The ability to set up an IMAP account or POP3 account, multiple accounts, sync backups, SD storage, filter sytstems, and folder system to name a few.

As I said before, using snappermail is very easy, and having it auto check is easy as well. However with the auto checking procedure, there is something a lot of people dont like. That is, for the program to auto sync for email, it wakes up (even when keyguard is on) and it shows a full screen status of it connecting and such, and then the screen will shot off. Although when compared to Snappermail 1.8x, 2.0x fetching is a lot faster, its still an annoyance to see the screen turn on, animate and then shut off. In this case its not the GPRS/1x RTT/EGPRS connection to sucks the power, its the constant turning on and off of the screen.

Notifications are great as well. Vibrate, chime and an alert window of your choice. Also the ability to disconnect from the network connection after each sync.

Overall much better than Visto MyMail

PalmOne VersaMail

Unlike the Treo 600, the Treo 650 was bundled with a nice looking and easy using email client.

It has nice integration into the Treo 650 as it could be configured from your desktop synch station computer, or from an extensive pulldown list of possible email providers. Smart thinking i must say.

A lot of people have said VersaMail crashes often and it sucks, etc etc. I however like it. I can configure the colours and make it look pretty LOL. A nice dual line information and such. HTML email and Text based as well.

Versamail, like SnapperMail, is an easy email program to configure, sync and use. Syncing email is very quick like SnapperMail. Unlike SnapperMail, if you have an auto sync configured, it will do so in the background. Nice feature.

You can have a chime alert, and have is show a notification if there is a failure to connect or if you have new mail. I have yet to see if it is possible for the unit to vibrate in silent mode with auto sync on. If i am not mistaken it doesnt exist, and well that makes me a sad panda.

Because it came with the Treo 650, there is a nice little addition this program has over the other two. In the phone screen, which is my default screen of course, it will show you the amount of unread email, also in the calendar/agenda screen you could have it show the amount of unread email you.

Battery usage, I find to be minimal. Thats a good thing

Overall, I prefer this program and SnapperMail over that of Visto MyMail. At present I plan on continuing to use VersaMail.

The End

You dont have to log off, but you cant stay in this thread LOL, kidding
    Last edited by hofo_mofo; 04-21-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Feedback Score
    Seriously great effort.

*bookmark*

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score
    ^Thanks man it means a lot

I wish though I had an IMAP account...hmm then again i could do i thru my Carleton Email

time to try it out

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nice review!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ^thank you...i got chattermail on my treo 650 now, and i am working on that section...but let me say chatteremail is the shiz!!!

Feedback Score

mymail Synch

Thank you for taking the time for reviewing these E-Mail applications, I guess I was pinning too much hope on MyMail because I like PUSH..., I also note that sending is much quicker with Visto as you do not have to log on ,sync palm etc. BUT i have found that it is a HUGE battery hog and this may mean that I should get rid of it as I cannot get through the day without plugging the phone in at any given opportunity, this defeats the purpose of a mobile device if it allways needs to be plugged in...

Also with Visto much of the time Constant Synch is grey and says "waiting for data" I do not know what this means ie: is it out of synch? is it waiting for the server to poll my account? sometimes the delay in getting my mail is ten minutes and at other times hours or never till I disconnect and re-connect synch which seems to force the system to fetch me my mail(more like a "get mail" with Versa). Rogers does not know this product The users guide does not explain this interaction and Visto itself has no info on its web site and tells you that Rogers support has the answers BUT THEY DO NOT. Any further advice re this issue is greatly appreciated.

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by hofo_mofo
    ^Thanks man it means a lot

I wish though I had an IMAP account...hmm then again i could do i thru my Carleton Email

time to try it out
    What, so you can get the 5 emails/day on the UniCentre reno? Forget that.

Though the protesters (numbering 6) were hauled off by cops yesterday. Made the paper.

I just unforwarded my connectmail account to my home account. LAST EXAM EVER WAS COMPLETED THIS MORNING.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a look at Agendus Mail by Iambic. For me, it is the winner and mainly because of 1 feature.

After you hotsync and your email is stored on your Treo, and you want to reply, you can choose which account to send the email from. I have 3 email accounts that I check and I want my outgoing emails to look like they've come from a particular account.

It is a simple, drop down menu that allows you to select which account you want to use to send an email regardless if that email was download via hotsync or through Agendus Mail.

Also included is Agendus Pro which is a calender/contact/task/memo pad function. It actually does far more than I wanted.

PS - I have nothing to do with the company, but after trying every email program I could find this is the only one with a 'account selection send' function.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Hofo

Nice job Hofo. How did you capture the screen shots? What software is that?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Only mymail "pushes" e-mail right? The other two programs doesn't? Also, just wondering are you a university student hofo_mofo? If so, why do you use so much data if I may ask?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Screenshots

Does anyone of you braniacs know how the screen shots were captured?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (v.3 w/ LTE 2600mhz band)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

great review

Great review btw.....however...I found versamail version 3 ( the current version loaded on treo 650"s) awful...

It's crashed my unit many times and I've had to to do hard resets a few times to stop it from looping.

Crashing is one thing and it has happened a few times but sometimes versamail causes the crashing and resetting to loop over and over again....

So I've got snapper mail now and It really is better than my mail...the only thing i didn't like about my mail was the fact that there were lags and delays in push mail times.....and u can only set one pop account....

Snapper mail is not cheap...but for those that want a premium email push client......its the bettter one out there.

Feedback Score

MYMAIL DOES NOT PUSH

So it has now been 3 days since MyMail has been in synch and "pushed" anything to my TREO I now have to disconnect and re-connect Synch inorder to "Pull" any mail to my handheld
    THIS IS NOT PUSH E-MAIL!!! I hope Mr. Rogers did not spend any money on this product(VISTO) I wouldnt loose any sleep if I was RIM

Feedback Score

Blackberry still the winner?

So is it safe to say that true "push" email can still only be accomplished with Blackberry?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast