Thread: Does cell site equipment make a difference in call quality?

labjr Guest

Does cell site equipment make a difference in call quality?

I imagine some companies make better cell site equipment than others.

Does this make a difference in the call quality the same way different phones do?

I know different companies make the equipment like Nokia, Ericsson, Alcatel, Motorola, Qualcomm.

Maybe that should be reviewed also. It may be a consideration when chosing a service provider.

I think Nokia is supplying AT&T with equipment for the new GSM/GPRS system. A good choice I'm sure. AT&T always seems to go first class.

Guest2 Guest

Re: Does cell site equipement make a difference in call....

In my opinion, I think the equipment does make a difference. However, I disagree with you that AT&T always go first class. If they were, then why would they be so cheap to use TDMA 800 Mhz in the first place. It is simply because it was cheaper to set up the TDMA 800 Mhz network based on their existing analog cell sites. Then they realized that TDMA is not going to go anywhere in terms of roaming and data transfer so that is why they are giving it up.

labjr Guest

Re: Does cell site equipment make a difference in call quality?

I think everyone in the U.S. was using TDMA in the beginning. AT&T probably used it because they wanted to set up roaming agreements with other carriers.

In my opinion, AT&T has always had outstanding customer service. I have been using their long distance forever. Never had a problem which they didn't resolve in my favor.

I've tried some of the other carriers from time to time and had terrible service. Went back to AT&T.

Even with wireless they have pretty good plans now. And they only charge $10 for each remaining month in your contract to terminate. You can return the phone within thirty days if you don't like their service. Who else has policies like that?

I hope the company remains the same after they spin off the wireless division.

Paisan34666 Guest

Re: Does cell site equipement make a difference in call....

Guest2...you should understand the history of TDMA before you blast AT&T's choice to go that route. In the early '90s TDMA was designed to co-exist with an extensive AMPS network already in place in N. America... TDMA was the ONLY digital alternative at the time. In the meantime, Europeans were just starting their wireless services and engineered what we now know as GSM. It has nothing to do with AT&T being "cheap". AT&T now understands that TDMA has past its prime and is now ditching it for GSM, GPRS, and wCDMA.