Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The All-Things China Mobile thread...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, the Chinese service providers were formed from smaller regional entities much like service providers in the US. Therefore, it would not surprise me if certain areas operate differently from others.
    Bugwart

Device(s)
    Motorola V60i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Could be a GZ / Dongguan Area Problem

I recall mostly this came up in GZ and sorrounding areas. When I have been in other areas (BJ, Shanghai) I had already converted phonebook and duplicated numbers. I wonder if it's a local problem in GZ area? As recently as mid-April this was still a problem in GZ. Next time I am in BJ I will test it there.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned
    I recall mostly this came up in GZ and sorrounding areas. When I have been in other areas (BJ, Shanghai) I had already converted phonebook and duplicated numbers. I wonder if it's a local problem in GZ area? As recently as mid-April this was still a problem in GZ. Next time I am in BJ I will test it there.
    As Bugwart stated, it could indeed be a regional problem. China Mobile is an umbrella corporation. Every province has their own system of accounting and customer service. I can't even buy a pre-paid card to fund my phone when I'm travelling outside of Shanghai as each province does their own thing. When I want to talk to customer service, I have to dial long distance back to SH to speak with my SH division of China Mobile.

It's really stupid but that's how it's setup here.

But I will say that it works in Hainan Island which is a neighboring province to GZ. I was just there in April as well and it works in Hainan.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8330
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoV3-Slut
    As Bugwart stated, it could indeed be a regional problem. China Mobile is an umbrella corporation. Every province has their own system of accounting and customer service. I can't even buy a pre-paid card to fund my phone when I'm travelling outside of Shanghai as each province does their own thing. When I want to talk to customer service, I have to dial long distance back to SH to speak with my SH division of China Mobile.
    I've experienced something of this problem, as I am usually in Guangdong province (mainly Shenzhen) when I am in China. I'll be back in July, but I'll be traveling to Hunan province. I hope my China Mobile prepaid (with the Shenzhen number) will work all right in Hunan. Guess I'll have to bring a few extra recharge cards with me and hope it all works!
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingaro
    I've experienced something of this problem, as I am usually in Guangdong province (mainly Shenzhen) when I am in China. I'll be back in July, but I'll be traveling to Hunan province. I hope my China Mobile prepaid (with the Shenzhen number) will work all right in Hunan. Guess I'll have to bring a few extra recharge cards with me and hope it all works!

It all depends on what kind of SIM card you purchased initially. There are some SIM cards which only work in one province, but most of them will work in other provinces. Most likely I think you have a SIM card which will work all over China.

And absolutely, you must bring enough pre-paid recharge cards to last your trip through Hunan. Otherwise you'll be completely screwed if you have no funds left in your pre-paid account in Hunan. There'll be nothing you can do except get someone in GZ to purchase a pre-paid card for you and call you or SMS the recharge serial number. And remember that you'll be paying roaming and long distance charges while in Hunan, even if dialing local Hunan numbers.

Another method--especially if you'll be staying in Hunan for a bit--is just to purchase a local Hunan SIM card and use that SIM while in Hunan. Some numbers can be really cheap to buy--like 50RMB--so it may be worth your while, depending how many phone calls you'll be making in Hunan.

Enjoy SZ and Hunan on your trip.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8330
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on what kind of SIM card you purchased initially. There are some SIM cards which only work in one province, but most of them will work in other provinces. Most likely I think you have a SIM card which will work all over China.

And absolutely, you must bring enough pre-paid recharge cards to last your trip through Hunan. Otherwise you'll be completely screwed if you have no funds left in your pre-paid account in Hunan. There'll be nothing you can do except get someone in GZ to purchase a pre-paid card for you and call you or SMS the recharge serial number. And remember that you'll be paying roaming and long distance charges while in Hunan, even if dialing local Hunan numbers.

Another method--especially if you'll be staying in Hunan for a bit--is just to purchase a local Hunan SIM card and use that SIM while in Hunan. Some numbers can be really cheap to buy--like 50RMB--so it may be worth your while, depending how many phone calls you'll be making in Hunan.

Enjoy SZ and Hunan on your trip.
    Thanks for the advice! I usually carry two or three 100 RMB recharge cards with me. I'll only be in Hunan a few weeks so that should be enough for the amount of calling I do. In Shenzhen, I do more local calling than I will when in Hunan. Mostly, I use my China phone to check messages on my US home/office phone.

I have the "Shen zhou xing" prepaid card, which should work anywhere China Mobile has coverage. It's a local Shenzhen number, so I know I'll have long distance/roaming charges elsewhere in China. The SIM I originally purchased online (through Telestial) worked fine - except it turned out to be a Zhuhai phone number. I replaced that with a Shenzhen-based SIM at a local China Mobile shop.

Looking forward to the trip - I like China a lot!

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm just curious... at what point would you consider a few cents basically becoming free? If you are charged 1 cent per instance of something, would you consider it virtually free? 2 cents? 5 cents? 10 cents?

I ask because to send a domestic SMS throughout China it is .10RMB or 1.2cents (USD) or .01 EURO. Would you consider that sending SMS's in China is basically free?

Just wondering. :rolleyes2

Device(s)
    Moto Razr
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    i hav a q after readin all these .. someone said .. don remmber who .. anywayz .. that ur fren from another country out side china usin china mobile could recieve ur sms sent from china ? .. how is that possible .. u fren doesnt even hav signal ther using normal prepaid or postpaid sim cards .. unless they are all using the special ones that works all around the world or else i don think ther is signal in other countries not including hk ..
    A rEaSoN 4 LiVin is U

Device(s)
    Vodaphone 903SH
    Carrier(s)
    China Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi. Just thought I'd start a thread dedicated to China Mobile. If you have any questions and tidbits of info for and about China Mobile (CMCC) please post here.

I'll start this thread off by sharing this tidbit of info:

For prepaid card users, if you want to check your remaining balance via SMS, you may do it this way.

Send a SMS with YECX only, with nothing else.
    Send it to 1861.

In an instant you'll get back a SMS with your account balance.

This account balance is not in realtime; it's probably updated every several hours to half a day. But it's the exact same info as if you called 1861 and obtained your account info through their voice automated system.

If you don't immediately receive your SMS, the system is just overloaded a bit. You'll eventually get it. Just be patient.

Alright. That's my tidbit of info. What do you have to share?
    The SMS with "YECX" without quotations to 1861 does not work. Ive tried it 5 times, waited a whole day for each try, without positive results.
    [url=http://www.last.fm/user/iplen/?chartstyle=basicrt10]

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iplen
    The SMS with "YECX" without quotations to 1861 does not work. Ive tried it 5 times, waited a whole day for each try, without positive results.
    You need to be in your home province or your home direct mulnicipality--like Shanghai. If you're outside of your home province, it won't work.

What province are you based in?

Device(s)
    Vodaphone 903SH
    Carrier(s)
    China Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Symbian OS; Nokia 7610;452) Opera 6.20 [en])

I am in my home province.. He bei is the region i live in, and where my sin card has been registered on.. Tried it on my friends phone.. Still no such luck..

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iplen
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Symbian OS; Nokia 7610;452) Opera 6.20 [en])

I am in my home province.. He bei is the region i live in, and where my sin card has been registered on.. Tried it on my friends phone.. Still no such luck..
    Well that's too bad then. I can confirm it works for Shanghia registered SIM card service on China Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am crrently living in Shanghai, and having used China Mobile for a while, I am wondering why it seems that SMS is the only other way (apart from calling) to check funds. On my Nokia, there's an option in the last menu to automatically retrieve the balance, without having to send a message. Of course, it may be because Shenzhouxing lacks that last menu with the extra functions, because I am using another type of prepaid(don't know what it's called, but it does have some extra perks, like being able to check your balance online, but they had to have my passport number, so my name is forever associated with that SIM...(sorry if I rambled on too much)

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08
    I am crrently living in Shanghai, and having used China Mobile for a while, I am wondering why it seems that SMS is the only other way (apart from calling) to check funds. On my Nokia, there's an option in the last menu to automatically retrieve the balance, without having to send a message. Of course, it may be because Shenzhouxing lacks that last menu with the extra functions, because I am using another type of prepaid(don't know what it's called, but it does have some extra perks, like being able to check your balance online, but they had to have my passport number, so my name is forever associated with that SIM...(sorry if I rambled on too much)
    It sounds more like you have a monthly-billed account with some pre-paid deposit. You never would have to register your passport number with pre-paid SIM card accounts.

That extra menu you speak off is in Chinese. I don't think many people on here can read Chinese.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson T68i
    Feedback Score
    I'm in Guiyang now, and am using the China Mobile Prepad Sim ShenZhouXing but i cannot sms to the U.S.

what do i dial? is + just dialing "0" or do i need to get the actual "+" to show up on my screen?

cheers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast