Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K750i headset with better sound. (With pics.)

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score

K750i headset with better sound. (With pics.)

Well, got my spankin new K750i yesterday, and after less than 24h i decided to put my soldering iron into it!

Well, not the phone itself, but the headset.

After modding my Qtek S100 headset a while back (S100 traded against K750, can't say I miss it really...) and using it as an MP3-player with 1GB SD in it, I decided that I want to go and use the K750 as one too, but the standard headset didn't really give me what I wanted.

The procedure is pretty simple: (and of course, all pics are taken with, you guessed it, a K750i! )

#1. Take a sharp knive. Gently try to wiggle it in where the red frame is. Jerk gently and the cover will come into two pieces.

#2. This is what you will see next.

#3. Closeup. You might notice a black cable on the upper right corner by the PCB that looks like something that has come off. It isn't. The + cable going from the phone out to the left earpiece never touches the PCB. They are wrapped together and covered with this "shrinking wire" (or whetever you call it in english).
    After coming to this, I decided to take off the right earpiece first since it was only 2 soldered spots that needed to be removed. Then you want to remove those grey rubberpieces that sit on the cable, and put them on your new earpice. It will take some tinkering, but it's not that difficult. All you need is patience, especially when putting it on the new cable.

#4. One earpiece soldered in place. Testrun to see that everything works. Wow, what a difference!

#5. Closeup.

#6. Well, after quite a bit of tinkering, this is how it will end up. What you do is: Unsolder the bottom right cable (on pic. with and "S" above it). Take apart those two that were wrapped together (ex. remove the rubber shielding and cut the one that goes to the earpice). Then you put in the cable to the new earpiece, wrap + to + and shrink them together, wrap - to the "S" cable (on pic.) and solder them to the PCB.

Testrun, and enjoy the new and improved headset!

(And the headset doesn't need to be a Koss The Plug, you may use whatever you like. It's up to you and your personal preferences.)

Hope someone finds this useful, and can deal with my lousy descriptions and pics (quite tired right now...).

Cheers!

Edit: What is the best way to post pics here? Since attachments wont swallow anything...

Edit 2: Well, here are the pics:
    #1:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00051.jpg
    #2:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00046.jpg
    #3:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00047.jpg
    #4:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00048.jpg
    #5:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00049.jpg
    #6:http://home.aland.net/m02454/hemsido...t/DSC00050.jpg
    Last edited by petterekman; 05-28-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score

awsome

Hah!

That's a great idea! I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earbuds that i just may do that too. However I curently use it with my ipod :/ May just have to try those Koss "plugs"

Device(s)
    Curve 8310
    Carrier(s)
    Etisalat
    Feedback Score
    Nice clean job!

Hey, do you figure you can add a 1/8" stereo jack in one end, instead?
    That would suit me even better, so I can also use it in the car.

Additionally, I could use nicer phones without needing to restrict them to this one device.

Quote Originally Posted by replicant
    Hah!

That's a great idea! I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earbuds that i just may do that too. However I curently use it with my ipod :/ May just have to try those Koss "plugs"

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_hackey
    Nice clean job!

Hey, do you figure you can add a 1/8" stereo jack in one end, instead?
    That would suit me even better, so I can also use it in the car.

Additionally, I could use nicer phones without needing to restrict them to this one device.
    I'm not sure, but I can't see why not. If you go over here you can see that it has been done with the Qtek. And since both headsets are similar in design, it should work.

Have thought about it myself, but I realised I wouldn't use it often, so I decided to go for this.

Go for it! And make sure you tell us afterwards...

Device(s)
    nokia 8210,ericsson T100
    Feedback Score
    is this the same for all headsets? im buying a xcute dv1 soon and it comes with a headset, i have the same Koss Plugs you do, is it the same procedure?

and another question, i have this 5metre long 3.5mm socket extender. if i follow the same steps can i soulder htem onto the headset as well? so i dont have to mutilate my KOSS Plugs?
    Last edited by bronco; 05-30-2005 at 01:45 AM.

Device(s)
    JP 903sh
    Feedback Score
    man, i managed to fix up the 1st earpiece.... but i cant seem to get the other to work....

I've not pratically unsoldered all four4 points below....
    my earphones cables are copper and red. so which would go to which? anyone knows?

ok now i;ve tested my set... the only thing is i cant get the other earpiece to have sound.....
    which do i tie the red from my earphone to?
    which do i tie the copper from my earpiece to?

i know which ever joins the main wire copper sould be soldered rite?
    Last edited by k2bk2bk2b; 05-30-2005 at 02:57 AM.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bronco
    is this the same for all headsets? im buying a xcute dv1 soon and it comes with a headset, i have the same Koss Plugs you do, is it the same procedure?

and another question, i have this 5metre long 3.5mm socket extender. if i follow the same steps can i soulder htem onto the headset as well? so i dont have to mutilate my KOSS Plugs?

I can't say for sure since I haven't seen that headset, but the theory behind it is the same. I don't think any headset differs that much in design.
    And yes, I think you could do it with your extendercable, but that would make an awful lot of cable to keep track of wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by k2bk2bk2b
    man, i managed to fix up the 1st earpiece.... but i cant seem to get the other to work....

I've not pratically unsoldered all four4 points below....
    my earphones cables are copper and red. so which would go to which? anyone knows?

ok now i;ve tested my set... the only thing is i cant get the other earpiece to have sound.....
    which do i tie the red from my earphone to?
    which do i tie the copper from my earpiece to?

i know which ever joins the main wire copper sould be soldered rite?
    The copper wire should go to the other copperwire (The "SG" one on the bottom right corner, see pic #3) and be soldered to the PCB. The red wire should be wrapped up with the wire that didn't touch the PCB.

This is all assuming that it is the left earpiece you are connecting, right?

Device(s)
    nokia 8210,ericsson T100
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by petterekman
    I can't say for sure since I haven't seen that headset, but the theory behind it is the same. I don't think any headset differs that much in design.
    And yes, I think you could do it with your extendercable, but that would make an awful lot of cable to keep track of wouldn't it?
    i thought just cut the head off the extender cable and connect that part on. but i dont understand the terms ure using PCB?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    i thought just cut the head off the extender cable and connect that part on. but i dont understand the terms ure using PCB?

Sorry, PCB = Printed Circuit Board. The (in most cases) green plastic thing that everything is soldered onto.

Device(s)
    nokia 8210,ericsson T100
    Feedback Score
    aaah..thanks im just noobie to all this but really want to try

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    aaah..thanks im just noobie to all this but really want to try

Hey, I'm quite a newbie too, but it isn't that hard at all! You can't really destroy anything, unless your hands are so shaky that you manage to burn something up!

Cheers!

Device(s)
    nokia 8210,ericsson T100
    Feedback Score
    so when cutting the earphones like the koss plugs do u just cut the 3.5mm plug off it? lik just snip it off?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    so when cutting the earphones like the koss plugs do u just cut the 3.5mm plug off it? lik just snip it off?
    Yup. Put the plugs in your ears and try to figure out how long cables you want. When you are satisfied, cut them. No harder than that...

Device(s)
    JP 903sh
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by petterekman

The copper wire should go to the other copperwire (The "SG" one on the bottom right corner, see pic #3) and be soldered to the PCB. The red wire should be wrapped up with the wire that didn't touch the PCB.

This is all assuming that it is the left earpiece you are connecting, right?
    Yup, i've tried tat as well.... but to no avail, somehow i cant get any sound from the right earpiece? the one's that longer wire....

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Carrier(s)
    FI AMT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by k2bk2bk2b
    Yup, i've tried tat as well.... but to no avail, somehow i cant get any sound from the right earpiece? the one's that longer wire....
    Really odd. Could you take a pic of it and send it to [email protected] ? And BTW, the left earpiece is supposed to be the long one. The right is supposed to exit from the "top"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast