Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: buy riiing SIM in Germany

Device(s)
    Qtek 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp
    Riiing sim on ebay. You have to search for "riiing sim". riiing alone will not find it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
    Thanks. Seems like it doesn't show up when you enter the search words in Ebay.ca. It's listed in Ebay.com so I hope it will accept my login from my Canadian account.

Feedback Score
    I had to go to Ebay.co.uk for mine but they accepted my US user name.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
    I had to go to Ebay.co.uk for mine but they accepted my US user name.
    For folks near the Swiss border, you can also buy Riiing SIMs in every Swiss Post Office.

Except in Japan, I've used a second phone to trigger my callbacks. It is far more difficult for them to track and works easier.

Device(s)
    Qtek 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stufried
    Except in Japan, I've used a second phone to trigger my callbacks. It is far more difficult for them to track and works easier.
    Can you explain this for those of us haven't used the callback feature?
    thanks

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

experiences with Riiing and Callbackworld in France

Since I learned all about Riiing and CBW in these forums, I thought I'd give a little report on my experiences while in France for a couple of weeks. Certainly these forums have been a big help in what turned out to be a "mostly successful" attempt to stay connected, at least by voice/phone, while on my trip to France.

Based on the info here, I decided to give the Riiing + CBW combo a try. I had wanted to also try out Enlinea and did submit a request for acccount activation, but they were so slow in turning it all around that it was useless for me.

I used a Motorola V188, branded by T-Mobile, bought new from ebay for $76 plus shipping, and spent another $10 on ebay getting the thing unlocked. I also bought a $10 Tmo prepaid SIM from ebay, which turned out to be *very* useful as I unexpectedly got stranded in Newark, trying to connect to an AirFrance flight to Paris (I still am *very* pissed at AirFrance for what they did and didn't do...). Finally, I bought a Riiing SIM off ebay for $35 (from the guy in Germany -- *very* fast delivery), added an additional $15 credit to the Riiing account (good thing too...) and then signed up for CBW.

The upshot of it is that Riiing+CBW worked very well some of the time, and lousy at other times, whereas Riiing by itself was extremely reliable. In Paris and Strasbourg, for example, Riiing+CBW was very good, near 100% reliable. However, in Nice, Avignon, Aneecy, for example, Riiing+CBW was fair to poor. The symptoms were that *after* being connected to CBW via Riiing, during the dialing procedure within CBW, the dialed numbers were often not recognized, and declared "invalid" by CBW. Sometimes it took 3 or 5 dialing attempts before CBW would get it right, and sometimes, it would never get it right.

I am still puzzled by the problems with CBW since Riiing was 100% and I thought that the connection *back* to my phone was also "managed" by Riiing and its partners. The implication is then that CBW was using a different intermediate routing between CBW and the mobile partner that Riiing was using to reach me, and this different intermediate routing is sometimes flakey, depending on destination, city, etc. But since the Riiing number is a Lichenstein 423 number, even this doesn't make sense... it must mean that CBW's routing into 423 is sometimes flakey and it had nothing to do with which city I was in... The other mystery yet unresolved is that I had found that CBW had precharged my credit card $50. I had not expected that and I don't know what happens if I don't use $50 worth of service.

Anyways, I give Riiing a 10 of 10 for what it is, though I agree that its VM system is funky and its pricing is higher than what I would like (minimum cost for a short call to the USA always seemed to be at least 1 euro). For CBW when used with Riiing, I give it a 6-7 of 10 overall.

I never did figure out a satisfactory (and economical) way to stay connected on the Internet, but that is is a different story...

Now to figure out whether it is worthwhile to keep my Riiing SIM alive indefinitely...

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Keeping Riiing SIM alive

I've heard that they don't strictly enforce the 9month rule on Riiing. Obviously, that can change any moment. Remember that a single SMS is sufficient to keep the SIM alive. One SMS every 9 months isn't too big a deal.

What I do with my Riiing SIM is keep it in an unused triband and loan it out. I tell people it has X euros on it, just bring the SIM back to me with the same amount on it. I have a handout which covers useage and how to top it up.

I've gradually pulled ahead on this proposition. My SIM which had 15 euros on it now has about 150 euros on it. Then again, I've earned this money playing tech support person to people who don't read the instructions.

Feedback Score
    Monkeyboy...

Let me tell you my experiences with riiing during a three week trip I am completing tomorrow in London....

Riiing and either callbackworld or enlinea functioned perfectly while in Eastern and Central Europe (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic)

Had troubles in Germany during last weekend when both stopped working completely and then when I got to France problems galore.

In France, not only did I not get callbacks at first, but I couldn't be reached by Barry of customer service at CBW on my French mobile with Orange Fr. And callback world worked only sporadically with them....worked hardly at all with riiing.

Somehow I really believe Orange Fr is somehow sabotaging cbw and enlinea so that you can't use them and have to pay their bloated prices for calling North America on your mobile.

CBW worked okay when I got to London until yesterday of course for obvious reasons...enlinea has been down a lot.....

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Had troubles in Germany during last weekend when both stopped working completely and then when I got to France problems galore.
    Which networks couldn't you use riiing on?
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Feedback Score
    I believe I was using riiing on Vodafone DE....according to customer service reps at CBW it has nothing to do with the local network but rather with FL....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    I see, what do you mean by FL?

Feedback Score
    FL is short hand for Liechtenstein as I understand it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Ok if it's referring to the German name, then it must stand for Fürstentum Liechtenstein

Feedback Score
    Why is it so hard to get riiing?
    I just ordered one directly from United Mobile at http://www.united-mobile.com

Dave
    Last edited by dkupe; 06-18-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    there was an issue with callbackworld and riiing that a few people had namely that the callback from callbackworld which would be the 2nd callback was not being received as it was coming so fast to the phone making the triggering call that it was not being received but rather passing into voicemail a problem that did not exist with enlinea. I along withothers have brought this problem to the attention of callbackworld which has excellent customer service BTW and they said they would slow dowin the callback...haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Jeff- do you or anyone know if this has been fixed? I know this post is about a year old, so hopefully it has.

Thanks!

Dave

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    I believe it has been fixed. I had great success using CBW with riiing on a recent Eastern caribbean cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by dkupe
    Jeff- do you or anyone know if this has been fixed? I know this post is about a year old, so hopefully it has.

Thanks!

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast