Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen Prepaid Cellular

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score

Oxygen Prepaid Cellular

Hello everyone. First time poster. I am very interested in Oxygen Prepaid Cellular serviice. Oxygen Prepayed Cellular Does anyone have any experience with this company. Also is their phone packages worth looking into, or should I consider another gsm phone that I could use by purchasing a $39.00 starter kit. Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO Premium
    Feedback Score
    The rates look attractive...BUT WAIT! LOOK AT THE EXPIRATIONS!

Sorry, didn't mean to shout at you but the dates are pretty horrendous:

$20 - 45 days ($13.33 per month but it's kindof wierd so you'll be tripping over yourself when in the middle of the month your phone stops working)
    $40 - 45 days also
    $60 - 60 days (wait, doesn't Net10 have that? And they're only ten cents a minute!)
    $100 - 90 days (it gets worse? Gosh!)

Okay, I know that some guys still have 90 days expiration on $100 cards...

And I also know that the Locus family of prepaids have notoriously short expiration dates...

But that's still NO REASON why you need to pay $13+ per month just to keep your prepaid account active!

A great example of not paying through the nose because of expiration dates i8s T-Mobile To Go. Granted, their coverage is not quite as robust as Oxygen's but their $100 card lasts four times as long! Their $25 card lasts twice as long as o2's $20 (or $40) cards...and as long as the $100 card.

I think what Locus is doing is about halfway between a hybrid prepay and a regular prepay, meaning that their rates are fair (not the best even for regular prepaid) but to make up for it and being on Cingular they have to give their cards short expiration dates to keep the moola flowing in.

For GSM, you have two alternatives in the same price range:

Cingular GoPhone has longer expirations for lower card values, especially when you get old $20 cards that last for 90 days. Granted, their minutes are 25 cents, but you can also do their 10 cent\$1 plan and M2M on the 25 cent plan is only 10 cents a minute. Their coverage footprint is the same as Oxygen's but their phones are a bit nicer and cheaper...and if you want to bring your own phone you can get sim cards off of eBay for very cheap.

TMo has a smaller footprint than Cingular as far as network coverage, but their rates are hard to beat. If you want less-than-o2 rates a $50 card or a $100 cardare both cheaper and have expirations that are much longer than comparable o2 cards. The $25 card comes close to o2 rates also and has a very good expiration also. You also get very good free WAP and very cheap SMS and other stuff that skims off of your T-Mobile To Go account. TMoToGo sims are also plentiful and very very cheap on eBay.

I hope this helps. Not to kill it too much, but the Locus Mobile family (of which o2 is part) is generally not the way to go if you're looking for truly cheap prepaid.
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Device(s)
    Nokia 3220 (T-Mobile), Nokia 6010 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have to agree with Ian, look at them expire dates!

If coverage is available in your area T-Mobile ToGo is a good service to have (GSM). I see you are looking for a entry-price point of $40. This can be achieved with T-Mobile, but only after Mail-In rebate on the 3595.

Tracfone is a good solid provider (Technology varies). Their Customer Service Department is obviously located in India, so don't be surprised by this fact if you have to talk to a live person. Their CSR's are nice once you understand what they are trying to tell you. $20 (40 min), $30 (100 min.), $50 (200 min), $80 cards (400 min.) have 60 day expires and the $89 (150 min.) and $129 (300 +dbl future min.) card have 365 day expires.

Cingular GoPhone. (GSM) 2 rate plans, they charge for voicemail deposits, Customer Service is in America, but CSR's are VERY VERY RUDE! I do not recomend this plan.

Virgin Mobile (CDMA) 2 rate plans, very user friendly, just remember to top-up $20 every 90 days.
    4-Sell:

Unlocked Nokia 3120: $21
    T-Mobile Nokia 6010: $15
    Virgin Mobile USA Kyocera K9: $12
    Virgin Mobile USA Kyocera K10: $16 (w/ $10 airtime)

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score
    You both gave me some reall good advice so I think I'm going to go with
    Motorola V60iT Prepaid Phone (TracFone). At $59 I think its a good deal, has all the features that I need.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck56
    You both gave me some reall good advice so I think I'm going to go with
    Motorola V60iT Prepaid Phone (TracFone). At $59 I think its a good deal, has all the features that I need.
    The Reconditioned v60it should be $39 at the tracfone website. Read up on the Refer-A-Friend program while at the Tracfone website.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score
    Dont u think spending a extra $20 is worth getting a new phone vs reconditioned.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    in your first post you mentioned about a $40 or less entry price point., just thought I'd make sure you knew that the recon v60it went for $39.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score
    O2 allows you to use your own gsm phone if you want spend $39.00 for their starter kit to use their service. Other wise you can choose from their limited package phones (ericsson t62U), (LG G4015) that I am not too crazy about. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Truck56; 06-25-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    O2 allows you to use your own gsm phone if you want spend $39.00 for their starter kit to use their service. Other wise you can choose from their limited package phones that I am not too crazy about. Sorry for the confusion.
    ok. for future refernce in your profile if you state your location it will be easier (especially if you are using Tracfone service) for people to help you with your cell-phone problems.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Other wise you can choose from their limited package phones (ericsson t62U), (LG G4015) .
    Those people are still trying to peddle that slop. Tracfone's fones are better thatn that!

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score
    So far i have seen impressive reviews on the Motorola V60iT. Do you know if this model has been updated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the purposes of Tracfone: no the phone has not been updated.

As other TDMA carriers are concerned, there is a color version (the v60iT Color).

Device(s)
    Nokia 3587i
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the good info.

Device(s)
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO Premium
    Feedback Score
    Recon phones generally work like new, think open box\Dell Outlet type thing except better deal. The Moto v60it is one of the two TDMA flips and does a really good job so go for it...just remember that shipping is an extra $5. Another thing you might want to check out is "ESN minutes", which work similar to 100-minute cards except they are immune to promos of any sort (including double minutes) and are generally about 2\3 as expensive, making for 20 cents a minute, otherwise only available via the $80 card (or somewhere else). Just a thought if you don't want to go for the 1-year card.

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Mixed Mode 800Mhz SmartZone Trunked System ID-9031
    Feedback Score
    sorry to bring this from the past, but one of the local gas stations here is selling the TDMA version (using ancient nokia 5120s) for 14.99 for the phone and 70 minutes of airtime..

too bad its not GSM, a 14.00 GSM phone would be nice.. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast