Thread: GSM in Virginia

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Re: T-mobile in SW VA

Originally posted by DANinVA
    Just got some info that the T-mobile fans might like. T-mobile just bought the Bankrupt Devon Mobile (Adelphia) out in VA. This buy will give them pretty much all of the SW Virginia markets. Also by this buy they are getting site that are already built so they will be able to turn their network up alot sooner.
    Well, on the flipside, I stopped by T-Mobile here in Richmond a couple weeks ago. They told me that coverage in SW Va would be a year out at the earliest -- it's not a priority for them. I guess I'm going to be stuck with SunCom for another year, then, and perhaps most of it on TDMA. (Stupid SC won't do month-to-month, you have to renew for a year at a time.)

Device(s)
    Treo 700P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless baby!
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile probably not, SunCom maybe.

Originally posted by VT_hawkeye
    Charlottesville is in (Triton) SunCom's coverage area, not ATTWS's. SunCom has not launched GSM for local service here (I'm in Richmond, ~60 mi ESE of C'ville), but their Investor Relations site claims that they have completed GSM rollout for sites that serve 50% of existing (TDMA) traffic, and have opened the GSM net up to roaming traffic. I do not have a GSM phone with which to check that out, though. Richmond and Norfolk in particular are listed, but no word on C'ville.

T-Mobile does not provide local service in Charlottesville. Their national map shows a small pink dot in the approximate location of Charlottesville, claiming that they have coverage, but their "Richmond Regional Calling Area" map does not show any such coverage.

GSM in Virginia outside of the DC area is a very iffy proposition. T-Mobile only just launched in September, and only along I-95, I-85, and I-64 from Richmond to Hampton Roads. I'm waiting for SunCom to launch, particularly since I spend much of my time traveling between Richmond and Virginia's REAL university, Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. (Why would you want to head for Charlottesville anyway? It's the home of UVa. )

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!...
    WOOOOO!!!!! I'm "in"!!!!!

Device(s)
    Storm, iPhone, Venus, VX9900, VX8600, VX8100, e815, VX7000, VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: T-Mobile probably not, SunCom maybe.

Originally posted by kev_1669
    GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!...
    my sentiments exactly
    Love without pain isn't really romance.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8260
    Carrier(s)
    SunCom
    Feedback Score
    I work for SunCom... There WILL be more than T Mobile for GSM in VA very shortly. AT&T is picking it up in their areas, and SunCom will be going to a GSM/TDMA system very shortly. They plan to put us through training in Jan and Feb, so figure about March of 2003 SunCom will be GSM in VA, only thing is, they are only going to have VA Beach/Suffolk/Norfolk areas and Richmond areas at first. CVille and the surrounding areas next, and so on and so on. As for the rest of the SunCom network (NC, SC, TN, GA), I'm not totally sure, and I don't wanna give the wrong info, so if any rep from those areas knows anything else, please feel free to contact me, or text me at 8043995098 and let me know.

Device(s)
    DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: T-Mobile probably not, SunCom maybe.

Originally posted by kev_1669
    GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!...
    If Tech is what's going to bring more coverage down there, fine by me! Tech is ~15 minutes away from Radford! I'm ditching nTelos for Sprint, so hopefully when my year contact with Sprint is over, T-Mobile will have coverage down there and I'll probably go with them.

Device(s)
    Storm, iPhone, Venus, VX9900, VX8600, VX8100, e815, VX7000, VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    sprint doesn't work very well down here .. :-\

Device(s)
    Samsung m510
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

charlottesville and t-mobile

just wanted to say I was at UVA on nov 8 and i was roaming on t-mobile (i have cingular). reception is very spotty tho, but some places you can get good reception, a lot of other places none at all..

in case this helps anyone--i guess if you're looking for an apt this might become a factor...signal is great around the hospital tho
    past phones:
    N3395, V60g, N8290, SE t68, N3590, N8390, N8890, n625, t720, S105, SE t300, N3650, N7210, N6610, v205, S56, N6200, S300, t616, sl56, N3595, Moto V300, a670, d407, SLVR L6, t509, katana dlx, a437, m510

Howard feedback | eBay feedback

Device(s)
    Nokia 6016i
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: T-Mobile probably not, SunCom maybe.

Originally posted by mbrowning
    If Tech is what's going to bring more coverage down there, fine by me! Tech is ~15 minutes away from Radford! I'm ditching nTelos for Sprint, so hopefully when my year contact with Sprint is over, T-Mobile will have coverage down there and I'll probably go with them.
    Is that Sprint PCS in the Montgomery County area?
    If so its the same network as CFW Intelos
    (nTelos). CFW handles the the network for Horizon
    PCS the area Sprint PCS affiliate. Therefor in
    this case with respect to Sprint PCS and nTelos,
    same towers, same switch and same network.

Device(s)
    DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Mobile probably not, SunCom maybe.

Originally posted by pbw
    Is that Sprint PCS in the Montgomery County area?
    If so its the same network as CFW Intelos
    (nTelos). CFW handles the the network for Horizon
    PCS the area Sprint PCS affiliate. Therefor in
    this case with respect to Sprint PCS and nTelos,
    same towers, same switch and same network.
    Does that mean that Vision won't work down there, then??

Device(s)
    DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sprint Nationwide PCS Network
    Additional PCS Service

I think, if I did this correctly without distortion, that I should be fine in Radford, which is the red star on the bottom left. The red star on the right is my home, I shouldn't have a problem with coverage around here

Does anyone know if Vision will or will not work in the "Additional PCS Service" areas? Thanks

I also made this map (75KB) that some of you in Virgina may find usefull.

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mbrowning
    I think, if I did this correctly without distortion, that I should be fine in Radford, which is the red star on the bottom left. The red star on the right is my home, I shouldn't have a problem with coverage around here

Does anyone know if Vision will or will not work in the "Additional PCS Service" areas? Thanks
    First off, nice work with the graphics.

Second, I wouldn't really trust Sprint's distinction on their map between what is supposedly 'theirs' vs 'additional' for southwestern VA. Clearly the 'additional' service matches up with nTelos's coverage map, but if I had to bet, I'd say that that's a marketing issue, to allow nTelos to keep advertising 'the largest digital footprint in the area' or whatever.

Several people I know complained that they couldn't get wireless Web access through Sprint in Montgomery County, and they were told this was because the network there wasn't really Sprint. If they couldn't get WW, I wouldn't count on Vision. Vision should be fine on Sprint in Richmond, that *will* be different from nTelos. But from what I know from Blacksburg, my roommate (Sprint) and I (nTelos, at the time) both had the exact same problems with dropped calls, sketchy coverage/low signal strength etc. That would also track with Sprint merely buying coverage from nTelos.

From what I've heard (my gf's brother worked for a tower company), he said it was common for nTelos to have half a cabinet worth of cheap equipment at a site, just so they could say they 'covered' the area, where SunCom had three full-size cabinets slam-full of good stuff. His company actually had Sprint (over nTelos) for a while for the workers' company phones, and dumped them because of poor service.

I hate to say it because TDMA sucks, but if you're going between western Henrico (I'm moving to an apt. near Three Chopt and Cox next week, actually) and Radford, SunCom's probably best for now. Their plans beat Verizon's (VZW is the other serious contender with coverage both places, unless you want to go $Nextel$), and you'll have a GSM/GPRS upgrade path at least within the year.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6016i
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by VT_hawkeye
    Vision should be fine on Sprint in Richmond, that *will* be different from nTelos. But from what I know from Blacksburg, my roommate (Sprint) and I (nTelos, at the time) both had the exact same problems with dropped calls, sketchy coverage/low signal strength etc. That would also track with Sprint merely buying coverage from nTelos.
    Bingo different networks and even different equipment.
    nTelos Richmond was PrimeCo and Lucent based while Sprint
    PCS has always been Sprint PCS and is using Motorola equipment
    in that and the Norfolk/Va Beach markets.

From what I've heard (my gf's brother worked for a tower company), he said it was common for nTelos to have half a cabinet worth of cheap equipment at a site, just so they could say they 'covered' the area, where SunCom had three full-size cabinets slam-full of good stuff. His company actually had Sprint (over nTelos) for a while for the workers' company phones, and dumped them because of poor service.
    It depends on the sites history and ownership. Original CFW
    Wireless sites used shelters like Triton PCS uses. These sites
    could do both 800mhz and 1900 PCS and were retained when
    CFW sold the cellular license to Cellco (VeriZon Wireless). CFW
    Intelos (before they became nTelos) used Motorola equipment
    just like Sprint PCS but in different cabinets. Intelos sites would
    often have a small cabinet paired with a repeater type device.
    Sprint PCS sites always used a Motorola SuperCell cabinet.
    First the 612 (I think) and then upgraded to the 4812. Many
    Intelos sites have been upgraded to 4812s now. Like Sprint PCS
    I don't think nTelos (where the network was Intelos not PrimeCo)
    uses anything but the 4812 cabinet now.

I hate to say it because TDMA sucks, but if you're going between western Henrico (I'm moving to an apt. near Three Chopt and Cox next week, actually) and Radford, SunCom's probably best for now.
    Triton PCS is the Northern Virginia Nextel of SE and Central Va.
    They have sites everywhere and on almost everything. Plus they
    like Verizon have blanket coverage in both areas (something that
    kills U.S. Cellular and Alltel).

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G (white)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just to add to this discussion after talking to Suncom reps at 2 different locations I have been informed that GSM roll out should occur by the end of next month, with the current list of phones carried not being released to the sales reps yet, though it is safe to assume that Suncom will again copy the list of phones that AT&T Wirless carries for its GSM network

Device(s)
    Nokia 8260
    Carrier(s)
    SunCom
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by djDiZZyD
    after talking to Suncom reps at 2 different locations I have been informed that GSM roll out should occur by the end of next month
    This is what I've always been talking about. People either given the wrong information, or telling peopel the wrong information.... It is kind of rediculous that SunCom cannot get it's game together and come out with a set time that the GSM network will roll out. I am anxiously waiting for this to happen so I can get off my bogus TDMA phone and hit up some crazy hot phones that are GSM. Dizzy, PM me with the names of the reps, so I can go talk to them to see what they tell me. They could just not wanna do the swap for your V60, and are screwing you around.. Next month? We'll have to see.... Oh, and btw, it was a 2.5 RS, not an STI! LOL!

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Appears that the Eastern Shore is up and running...

Over on the AT&T forum, a T-Mobile user is reporting that he found a SunCom signal (which he couldn't use b/c of no roaming agreement) throughout the Eastern Shore. That kind of rural coverage this early in the game sounds like a good sign to me.

SunCom GSM on VA's Eastern Shore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2