Thread: NEWBIES READ THIS: Updated Symbian FAQ

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Angel, you think I should re-update my FAQ now that it's been a while and there's an arseload of new phones out?

-olly

Device(s)
    Nokia N82 Titanium (Finland)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ollywompus
    Angel, you think I should re-update my FAQ now that it's been a while and there's an arseload of new phones out?

-olly
    i dont see a reason why not

especially with those new s60 v3 phones

(sorry didnt know u made a post asking me a q )

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    now it seems u forgot about this thread as well haha xD

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i also think i should upload my ngage faq 2..sigh

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    LMAO, I just remembered that I had asked you a question. I might update this today, since I have some (bored) free time at work.

-olly

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, one more update, then I'm just gonna refer people to the wiki lol:

7/3/06

Ok, because there are a lot of questions out there, both from non-symbian users, and those new to the OS, I thought I would try to compile some FAQ’s, at the suggestion of Moderator HF4, to answer some frequently posted questions. If my list is a bit Series 60 oriented, this is simply because this is where my experience lies. I will address Series 80 and 90 a bit, and of course UIQ, but anyone with more experience with these interfaces, please PM me stuff you would like added, of course with recognition going to you for your contributions:

What is Symbian?

The short answer: Symbian is a C++ based Operating system designed for mobile phones with support for Java MIDP 1.0 and 2.0 as well.

The Nitty Gritty: because it is an actual operating system... with file types, all that sort of thing, you can add third party apps, of which there are quite a few... in addition, unlike most other phones, Symbian phones support external memory.

There are different 'flavors' of symbian as well:

Series 60, which includes phones like the 3650, 6600, 6620, 6630, 668x, N-Series, N-gage, Siemens SX1, etc., is a user interface for Symbian designed by Nokia, and is by far the most prevalent version of Symbian out there. It is one handed in use, using soft-key's and the phone's keypad to navigate through the menu systems.

Next is UIQ, another interface, most commonly found in the Sony Ericsson P800/P900/P910, and the motorola A1000/M1000. UIQ is a more PDA oriented UI for symbian, using a touchscreen currently. Future versions of UIQ are being designed to compete with Series 60, and are going to be non-touchscreen, more 'smartphone' style rather than 'pda-phone' style. UIQ 3.0 will see the first support for these soft-key based devices, though the recently announced UIQ 3.0 phones are still touchscreen based, with no softkey versions as of yet.

Series 80: Series 80 includes the line of Nokia Communicators, and no other devices as of yet. Examples would be the Nokia 9300/9500. They use the Nokia series 40 interface for phone functionality on the external screen, but can be folded open along a hinge, similar to a laptop, to reveal a full qwerty keyboard. While not touchscreen based, they have navigation keys designed to get around in addition to the keyboard.

Series 90: Series 90 is a pen based, PDA style interface from Nokia. Originally found in just one device, the Nokia 7700 that was never publicly released, it is now found in the 7710 as well, which is now available in production models. It is used in landscape mode, and is a much larger device then even the communicator series. As of the time of this updated writing, no other Series 90 devices have been announced, and it’s been implied, if not directly stated by Nokia, that the 7710 was the last one we’d see. Series 90 may be a dead end platform, as the company focuses on Series 60, and to a lesser degree Series 80.

Some informative sites:

www.s60.com -- lots of info regarding the most commonly used Symbian interface, phones, development trends, etc.

www.symbian.com -- this is the official site for the Symbian OS, very informative and has a pretty up to date list of symbian phones, their availability, and their specifications.

www.sonyericsson.com -- take a look at the p800, p900, and the p910 for the idea behind a traditional UIQ device. Also look at the new UIQ 3.0 devices, some of which are available now, such as the w950, p990, and the m600i.

www.my-symbian.com

www.allaboutsymbian.com -- These two sites are VERY in depth on just about any kind of Symbian phone out there, regardless of interface. Also good sources of software. All About Symbian in particular is known for it’s reviews of both hardware and software on any Symbian UI.

Speaking of Software, where can I get it?

As mentioned above, www.my-symbian.com , www.allaboutsymbian.com , www.handango.com , and any number of personal sites on the web. While there are lots of programs you have to pay for, there are a few gems out there that are free, and a must have for Symbian phones.

What are some must haves?

Really, the best thing you can do for software is to decide what you want to do with your phone, and then find something that will do it. The applications are so widely varied that it must be a personal choice. That being said, there are is one basic thing I will recommend for every Symbian phone: a file manager. This allows you to manipulate files in your phone's file system similar to how Windows Explorer works on your Windows PC.

For Series 60 this would be Fexplorer (not ported to 3rd Ed. Yet).
    For UIQ this would be SMan

I'm really not sure what file explorer's to recommend for Series 80 and 90, but i'm sure that they exist.

What are some Symbian phones?

Ok, this list grows all the time, and is by no means complete, but probably these are the most common ones you will see in use around the forums:

Series 60:
    Nokia 3650
    Nokia 3620
    Nokia 3660
    Nokia N-Gage
    Nokia N-Gage QD
    Nokia 6260
    Nokia 6600
    Nokia 6620
    Nokia 7610
    Nokia 6630
    Nokia 3230
    Nokia 3250 (3rd Ed.)
    Nokia 6670
    Nokia 6680/81/82
    Nokia N70
    Nokia N71 (3rd Ed.)
    Nokia N72
    Nokia N73 (3rd Ed.)
    Nokia N80 (3rd Ed.)
    Nokia N90
    Nokia N91 (3rd Ed.)
    Nokia N93 (3rd Ed.)

Panasonic x700
    Panasonic x800
    Siemens SX1
    Sendo X

UIQ:
    SE P800
    SE P900
    SE P910
    Motorola A1000
    Motorola M1000
    Benq P30

Series 80:
    Nokia 9210
    Nokia 9300
    Nokia 9500

Series 90:
    Nokia 7700 (VERY limited availablity)
    Nokia 7710

There are MANY others, but as I said these are the most common. The prices can range between 100 – 150 USD for the QD and the 3650, to up to the 550 range for the p910. Also, there are many models of FOMA Symbian phones for the Japanese market, but as I have no experience with them, since they won't work outside of Japan, I'm going to pass over those.

A note on the phones that I’ve marked “3rd Ed.” These are the phones running the newest Symbian/Series 60 combo, that being Symbian 9.1/Series 60 v.3 (or 3rd Ed.). These phones are often just called 3rd Ed., or v3 phones on the forums. 3rd Ed is a complete overhaul of the Series 60 backend, as well as a bunch of interface tweaks and improvements. Because of the overhaul, it requires a complete re-write of older software for compatibility. A lot of the older software hasn’t been ported yet, so for a time there will be limited availability of software. This is changing, but there are going to be some that are just not ported, due to lack of developer interest/time. Be aware of this limitation before buying a 3rd Ed phone.

Removable Media?

All Symbian phones to date use removeable memory. The one exception upcoming is the N91 from Nokia, which has 4GB of flash memory built in. What does your phone use? (if it's not listed, check www.symbian.com)

MMC - used by Nokia 36x0, N-Gage, N-Gage QD, 6600, 6620; Siemens SX1

RS-MMC (Reduced Size MMC) - used by Nokia 7610, 6670

DV RS-MMC (Dual Voltage RS-MMC) - used by Nokia 6630, 668x, N70, N72, N90 *NOTE* these phones are not compatible with the RS-MMC, but MUST USE the DV version.

SD - used by Motorola A1000, M1000; Sendo X

miniSD - used by Panasonic x700, x800, Nokia 3250, N80, N73, N93, and as far as we know all future Series 60 phones.

Memory Stick Pro - used by Sony Ericsson p800, p900, p910
    *NOTE* the p910 uses Pro Duo, but is backwards compatible with the Pro. P800, p900 are limited to 128mb of external memory because of the limits of the Memory Stick Pro card, while the Pro Duo has a theoretical maximum of 32GB, with up to 4GB available at the time of writing this.

**Note** Not all memory brands are compatible. What I mean is that just because something says MMC on it doesn't mean it will work in every phone. As a rule of thumb, ATP Memory cards work in every phone, as they are a big forum presence and HEAVILY test all of their cards for phone compatibility. It is usually the no-name, no-brand cards that don't work well. Ask around the forums for recomendations for your specific phone.

References:

All information was compiled from the forums, and from the following websites:

www.allaboutsymbian.com
    www.my-symbian.com
    www.symbian.com
    www.series60.com
    www.sonyericsson.com
    www.nokia.com
    www.handango.com
    www.uiq.com

I hope that this has been helpful… these aren’t just phones, they are the ultimate cross between a PDA and a phone… and if you change your paradigm to think of them as computers in your pocket, complete with removable media and OS, then you will see the potential they possess.

Thanks,

-Matt Crandall a.k.a. ollywompus

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ollywompus
    LMAO, I just remembered that I had asked you a question. I might update this today, since I have some (bored) free time at work.

-olly
    Great to hear man..wait u working today?

oops forgot that this is the US

Device(s)
    Motorola E770v
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How can i update my system software on my motorola E770v? [email protected]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)