Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hacking Verizons GPS to tell you where you are...

Device(s)
    MOTO e815 *(sick phone!!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Cool Hacking Verizons GPS to tell you where you are...

Well, I found something

after searching around and compiling information, i found out a way to get gps coordinates of your cell phone's position right now. This goes for audiovox 8600 users and VX 4400 users First, enter

[#][#][4][7][7][1][end]

4771 stands for GPS1

and then it asks for an SPC code... enter

[0][0][0][0][0][0]

these steps will take you to the gpsOne menu, and modify the settings in the settings menu by

changing the lock status [3] to off, test mode [4] to off, sample count [5] to 1, and transport type [6] to DBM.

Here's a little background information. You can't change the IP address or the IP port, i don't know why, but you don't need this. In the GPS test menu, you don't need the start application function either. All you need is the 'Last Location' function, which won't work for you if you try right now.

Make sure your phone is enabled to use the GPS function, not just the E911 function.

Press end to clear out back to the start screen

Dial 922 and stay on the line until some gibberish starts coming out of the phone. For me that gibberish is KNX1070 AM on the radio. It's awesome.

hang up, you don't need to stay on the line after the radio comes on.

go back into the GPS menu and press last location. BOOM. There are your Longitude and Latitude coordinates. Go to mapquest and enter your coordinates here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

If you don't believe me, you should try it. It's really accurate.. it's amazing

works on my 4400

Menu -> 0
    Go to Field Tests [2]
    gpsOne [6]

All the same options are in here.
    Change one option though for an even cooler result:
    gpsOne Test Screen [2] change this to on.

Then press end and dial 922. Look at your screen, the coordinates are displayed right there!

and they say tonedeafnyc all he does is complain....
    Last edited by tonedeafnyc; 08-18-2005 at 12:08 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    GOT IT TO WORK ON MY SISTER VX6000

Go to Menu [0]> [000000]> [2]> [6] and then turn the test screen on ([1]), and press end. Then dial either 922 or 923. A window should flash on the screen saying "Network GPS Start". Let the call continue for 30 secs to a min and go back to Menu [0]> [000000]> [2]> [6] and [3]. Displayed on the screen should be your Latitude and Longitudes for your current location. Make sure that when you do this you have "Location On" in Menu> [9]> [8].

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    BTW, YOU MAY HAVE TO DIAL 923 INSTEAD OF 922.

Tonedeaf has spoken

Feedback Score
    I tried this on my vox 8910 and everything was fine until i dialed 922. it sent me straight to 911 emergency... even when i checked my recent calls section, it said i dialed 922... 923 didnt work either... on further inspection, i went to the Emergency Test option (7) and then to Emergency # (1) and deleted the "922" that was stored there, and tried the whole thing over again. same result....
    Last edited by kolrone; 08-18-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Device(s)
    Various
    Feedback Score
    does anyone know how to make this workon the e815, do you have to dial 922 or would another number work? what does 922 connect you too? anything special?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kolrone
    I tried this on my vox 8910 and everything was fine until i dialed 922. it sent me straight to 911 emergency... even when i checked my recent calls section, it said i dialed 922... 923 didnt work either... on further inspection, i went to the Emergency Test option (7) and then to Emergency # (1) and deleted the "922" that was stored there, and tried the whole thing over again. same result....

If you live in Florida or certain area's, then you will get a 911 operator (in Florida, 922 reroutes to 911) DO NOT HANG UP RIGHT THIS SECOND, tell him/her you dialed 922 and not 911, and he/she will say "ok" and hang they will hang up, NOW HANG UP (if you do not answer the 911 call, they will call you back, and if you dont answer that, then theyll start searching for you)

Once you are finished with your call, go back into the GPS Setting menu.

go to (2. LAST LOC)

. give it a couple seconds, then itll display your gps coordinates
    (now you can press Last Loc anytime you want and it will give you the same coordinates that it did when you called 922 unless:
    1. you make another call (itll say Unable to complete gpsOne request.
    2. you dial 922 again (itll say youre gps coordinates when you made the 922 call)

hope this helps

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    tried on 815

Can't find anything about gpsOne on here, but in the programming menu ( [menu] 073887* --> 000000 ) I have a screen to change the IP and Port # for GPS. When I go into testmode ( enable it in prog menu, and from home screen press [menu] + [left soft key]), I can change GPS session [new, latest, cont], as well as other settings I'm not sure what do. I try the 922 / 923 [send] bit, and I hear the radio I switch back to the testmode screen and view the GPS sheet, which, as always, says "ERROR", and lists tons of would-be information, but all 0s (like lat & long, 0s).

different locations are different things. maybe some other guru's can help out, every phone is different same as location, i know it works great to this day on my LG 4400

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Confirmed this works on the LG VX8100

Device(s)
    Blackberry Priv (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow this would def be useful those times I decide to zone out while driving and end up in the middle of a cornfield.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid, LG VX 8550
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    922 works in Phoenix. Funny thing is, it goes to Movefone not 911.

The coords were quite accurate with my VX8100.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    Feedback Score
    First, I was jealous, since my GPS coords weren't there, then very frustrated after playing with the GPS menu for half an hour...then EUREKA!
    I got it to work! Whoopee!

With my audiovox 9500, enabled GPS "ON" went into the DEBUG screen and selected GPS One.
    Dialed 922 and got a radio station.
    "debug screen" Function 00 00000
    Select GPS One
    "Position Result"
    and then after scrolling through many cryptic pages of values, finally on page 06 Titled "GPS ONE: LR" there were some obvious coordinates!

I changed the format on my Garmin GPS receiver to display position format in ..hddd.ddddd degrees, so I could compare the reslts for accuracy.

Garmin read...
    N XX.70491 degrees ~ +/- .00011
    W XXX.11334 ~ +/- .00004

Cell phone read
    N XX.70478
    W XXX.11347

Took both outside to ensure a more accurate reading.
    Very close. Not sure the exact error in feet between the two readings. GPS was WAAS enabled with a error of about 17.5 feet, after some location averaging. Which means the GPS receiver stays on taking readings every second or so for as long as you want and then averages the result as the satellites pass by and provide more data to be computed, resulting in a more accurate location fix.

It appears the trick on my phone is simply getting to the GPS debug screen and reading the "position result" after calling 922.

What the heck does dialing 922 have to do with getting the coords? Why is there a radio station at the other end? Is this call going to be billed?
    Thanks for enough clues to get it to work. I thought it was impossible to get any kind of longitude/latitude coords from my phone, since so many of the GPS menus had an error screen saying "Currently not Available".

Believe a new coords is taken each call, not sure if the displayed coords on the screen can be cleared, until another call is made.
    Not sure how count (default 1) and interval (30 seconds) would change the results, if at all.
    The phone coords seem to come up quickly and only once, being displayed on a "MT Position Screen" during the 922 call.

It appears No IP addresses or other settings need changing.

WORKS ON UNACTIVATED PHONES TOO!
    Being in a hurry the spare unactivated AVX 9500 was set to analog only and forgot to turn ON GPS location, from "911 only". Got a recording and voice tree for accident reporting for the CA Highway Patrol...

Thanks again for the inspired work,
    Sid
    Last edited by sid pearlman; 08-18-2005 at 03:25 AM.
    "This is my cell phone. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Device(s)
    Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, only the best baby!
    Feedback Score
    Any tips on getting this working with motorola phones, V710, E815, V265, v60s, T720, etc.

I set my location on, went under test mode and tried to launch a GPS session, got an error.

I noticed under the test menu there is a spot for a GPS IP Address and port#, anyone know how to make use of this.

Keep the tips coming.

PS that 922 number gave me the Weather forecast for Mitchell Intl. Airport in Milwaukee, but I live in Chicago. Whats with that, and is there a similar number I can dial to get localized information.

Are there more trick #'s like 924, etc.

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How did those with the 8100 get it to work. I am definitely missing a step somewhere.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid, LG VX 8550
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manqso
    How did those with the 8100 get it to work. I am definitely missing a step somewhere.
    Go to Menu, 0, 000000, 2 (field tests), 8 gpsOne, 1 (gpsOne test screen). Set it "on". Hit END to go back to the main screen. Call 922. It should say Network GPS Start, then show the Lat/Long coordinates.

Note that if you actually get 911, you should tell them it's a wrong number rather than hanging up.

This also requires E911 to be working in your area.
    Last edited by alanh; 08-18-2005 at 03:47 AM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHedonist
    Wow this would def be useful those times I decide to zone out while driving and end up in the middle of a cornfield.
    The Delorme Atlas Gazetteer, a least the 2000 version I have for Northern California, has the same format GPS coords on the page edges, so with the coords from the phone and the right map you will be able to find your location.

As far as a 911 call center, or tow truck driver having a GPS Grid map on hand, and knowing what to do to find a location, I wouldn't count on it, at all.
    I did get results reporting the GPS coords of a fire out in a forest, but probably got lucky getting directed to an "Air Attack" forest service station. They use airplanes to direct water and flame retardants to control backwoods fires and so are skilled navigators.
    But it's such a simple tool, especially accomplished through mapping software, it would be very easy to implement.

-
    Sid

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast