Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T and EDGE coming soon

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

AT&T and EDGE coming soon, INteresting ,lol

I think AT&T has more than enough Funds ( I always remind people that NTT DoCoMo, has given AT&T 10 BILLION! ) to Roll Out the networks they want... AT&T has been Seriously covering my area heavily with GSM, recently, so they are definately Increasing Coverage, and GSM will probably Surpass that of TDMA coverage...

I also think AT&T needs some new staff in the Handset Department ( Hire ME! ).. To go along with this new Network, AT&T needs new Refreshing Handsets ( Colored Screen Clamshells ) I think for this " 3G " revolution, AT&T needs to take a short loss to make a GAIN 10 fold!

By Offering newer " COOLER " different Colored Handsets for cheaper ( $150-$200 ) at a loss, they will cause people to look at their handsets and want to update, and take advantage of the new services...

And by offering new Services, such as " movie downloads " for say about $1 + dollars each, and cheap e-mail, maybe even Unlimited data for an extra $10 a month ( like Sprint ) they will cause an Addiction for Teens to Communicate in School ( cheat on school exams , lol ) and Then rack up bills, which Customers will not mind to pay because the service is so RICH...

If I had a chance to implement new Plans for EDGE, one of the plans would be something like :

$45 a month = 500 Anytime , UNLIMITED NIGHT AND WEEKEND, Including Long Distance, Unlimited mMode

And then, along with mMode, users would be Introduced to a LARGE library of Ringtones and Pictures, and Java Apps, Short Movie downloads ( or exclusive movie behind scenes), contributed by Record Labels, and Movie production Companies, and charge for those services...

With those RICH services, Exploiting the Factor of a lot of things UNLIMITED like How Americans Like services, Sibscribers would rack up Bills, which they won't mind to pay and increase AT&T's ARPU ( average revenue per user )

This is a Handset that should be AT&T's Typical Handset Style, what are they waiting for ? :
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WeneedJapPhones; 11-30-2002 at 01:57 PM.

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    At&T should have a New Futuristic Outlook, while still maintaining that Old Fashioned Concept of Having solid traditional Communications 24/7...

Feedback Score
    I agree. Once AT&T GSM is finally fully developed accross the country, they should make GSM they're primary focus and offer TDMA customers a free phone if they migrate. Maybe even offer a better plan for the same price they're currently paying. People will resist at first, but once AT&T shows true commitment, and that the coverage is just as good (or even better) then TDMA, people will migrate. They will have to take a loss to accomplish this, but that's the price of switching systems. Basically focus on GSM migration before anything else.

THEN, when they have a solid GSM customer base, focus in on EDGE and hype it up. Make people believe that they can do so much more with their mobile phones then make calls. SO many people in this country don't careless about 3G. Older people won't go for it, but younger people will. Advertise on youth oriented channels like MTV. Motorola has got a good ad campaign going, so AT&T can do it too.

This will be a slow process, and we can't expect to catch up with Japan or Korea in at least 5 years. Right now, I don't see a solid effort from AT&T regarding GSM. You have to click around to get to GSM on their website, and I don't see any TV ads at all. I see lots of T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon, but no AT&T.

Personally, I don't think AT&T should upgrade to EDGE yet. The consumer base just isn't there. For every one out of fifty people (or even more) will run out and buy an EDGE compatible phone. Once the average consumer is educated about 3G, and how it can enhance their lives, then push EDGE. Right now it would fail.

This is just my opinion. I totally support expanding to WCDMA, but I have to realize that it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Baby steps..........*sigh*

Feedback Score
    You have to understand that EDGE is simply a software upgrade, not a new system. As pointed out in this forum, when AWS went GSM, they purchased base stations that were EDGE ready- EDGE is an evolution of GPRS. Once the cheap, in comparison, software upgade is done EDGE is available. It WILL be in place soon.

Another thing that I would like to point out (something I believe is being missed by most on this board) is that the possible reason for AWS not bringing out all the flashy new equipment is that EDGE will be out sooner than many think. AWS doesn't want to sell you a new phone, and 2 months later a new phone comes out that will work on the enhanced system with extra benifits. Every customer would call in and "expect" a free equipment upgrade. This raises service levels, lowers customer satisfaction, lowers morale with care reps, and in the end costs AWS a lot of money. If you only knew what every call into care costs.

Can anyone remember the move from Analog(AMPS) to Digital (TDMA)

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    I fully understand that, I mentioned that in my post, that WHEN AT&T IS COMPLETE, with the transition to EDGE that they should take a short financial loss for a GIGANTIC gain...

I still have faith in AT&T, because they are an extremely solid COmpany, and I think they are taking this transition very seriously, because Base Stations are popping up everywhere where I live, and everyone I know with AT&T says their coverage is getting better than when they had TDMA...

I was just stating the fact that, importing EDGE enabled JAPANESE handsets and RICH & ENTERTAINING CONTENT for an affordable price, would put an EDGE ( no pun intended ) to the Wireless Market in the US...

With all the technology Discussion, I feel the biggest issue is the CONTENT, I think AT&T needs to present some "mMode" COntent that is addictive and Lucrative, generating Large Revenue that will in turn pay for the $$$ they spend on Equipment upgrades...

At&T needs to FIRST realize that the $/kb system, that works in Japan, just does not, and WILL never work in the US... UNLIMITED Data is the way America RUNS now, so That is one reform that has to be discussed...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G(16GB Black)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Of course you realize that AT&T's GSM network buildout is also incomplete in much of the country and is quite spotty in many areas that it is already launched. Again I must ask, what the point of offering flashy phones and loads of data & minutes would do if the current coverage issues aren't resolved first? Shoot, on top of all that if you think the coverage issue isn't bad enough, then also realize that AT&T doesn't have the capacity to handle what you're talking about! Again, at it's current state the network would not be able to handle the tremendous amount of users that would be on if they offered such plans or deals. I'm willing to wait for AT&T's GSM network to mature and become much more stable before I wish for them to start offering a crapload of data and minutes and flashy new phones. I mean once this happens I'm sure AT&T will really start to blitz the market with blockbuster deals and plans like they have for the TDMA network.
    What, ME worry?

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    How long do you think it will take for AT&T to fill in ALl Gaps ? couple of months ? Because, again, I repeat, lol, NTT DoCoMo gave them More than enough to have this COuntry Covered, exceeding their TDMA coverage... 10 BILLION is more than enough, to get those Antennas up...

Device(s)
    Audiovox CDMA 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon - BACK
    Feedback Score
    Mr WeNeedJapPhones, every single post of yours in the ATT forum is dissing their service demanding better phones and just basically complaining. Your messages are rather redundant, not to mention, rather un-called-for seeing as you dont even use ATT. It is clear that you read the industry news and are well aware of why the US doesnt have better service or better phones, I just think at this point, its time for you to come to grips with the current state of ATTs wireless service and wireless service in general in the US.
    Real 3G will come in due time. Patience...Patience...
    Last edited by Killa909; 12-04-2002 at 02:52 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Isn't that what these forums are for? He can complain all he wants. Maybe he's just looking for a reason to leave Sprint and if AT&T had what he wanted, maybe he would. Granted, his expectations are a little high but who's aren't?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by frail47
    Isn't that what these forums are for? He can complain all he wants. Maybe he's just looking for a reason to leave Sprint and if AT&T had what he wanted, maybe he would. Granted, his expectations are a little high but who's aren't?
    Yes that's quite true and all but as an above poster stated, it gets old and tired quite fast seeing the same ol' posts about the same ol' thing. I mean you read WeNeedJapPhones' posts and all you see are complaints about why AT&T doesn't have the newest phones like Japan or even services like over there. I mean for Christ's sake, get over it already and realize that AT&T is still only building up their GSM network at this point and will probably be at least another year away from making their GSM coverage as comprehensive as their TDMA service is nationwide. I mean it takes some amount of planning, and wise spending of money to ensure that this will occur but it will eventually.

Plus if anyone's been paying attention to the state of the Wireless Industry in Japan they'd know that it's certainly not what it was a few years ago when DoCoMo first introduced their i-Mode service and phones. All wireless companies in Japan are being battered by the slowing of consumer spending on cellular services, and the continued depression of the Japanese economy. So definitely if anybody thinks the Japanese wireless industry is doing all fine and dandy and is the model of perfection they need to take a second look again and realize even they are facing very hard times before complaining about the state of the US wireless situation in comparison.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    according to wirelessweek.com, ATT with Moto and bunch of other headset makers in Dallas did a live test with EDGE today..going to test market in dallas...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea I read about that too in various news sources around the web today myself. Of course I'm still definitely sure it will be at least another full year before AT&T even thinks about deploying EDGE services since they'd also need to somehow upgrade all the current handsets out there to allow compliance. On top of all that, as was said earlier AT&T isn't even finished deploying the GSM network and making it complete in most of the country yet so there's no way in hell EDGE deployment will start until that's nearly 95% complete.

Device(s)
    Moto V66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Trouble is unless the handset manufacturers produce more than the single Nokia currently announced, it makes not ounce of difference when EDGE is released...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 9000
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    You have to remember that most people don't care about faster data rates and cool phones. I work with computers, most of my coworkers are technology geeks, yet many of them still carry around 3360's, 6160's, a few 5160's, and one person even still has an analog nokia.

AT&T won't roll out EDGE until they know people will buy it. And most people don't really care about higher data rates. They want their phone to get good voice reception, and having it look cool is also up there on the list.

Also, AT&T's NTT DoCoMo backing isn't the silver bullet you seem to believe that it is. The fact is that the wireless industry isn't really doing that well, for the same reason that I just stated above - people don't care. GSM doesn't offer too many features that most people care about enough to buy a whole new phone to take advantage of. They can make and receive calls just fine with TDMA. Color screens are cool, but my phone's color screen doesn't help me make and receive calls better. I care because I'm a technogeek. Most people aren't.

Not only that, but the competition is cutthroat. Prices are getting too low. I'm surprised they haven't bottomed out already. The market is saturated. We have 5 major carriers and all kinds of local ones. I'm surprised that none of them have gone under yet.
    Plan:
    $39.99 - 450 anytime minutes, 5000 weekend and Unlimited M2M.
    $45.00 - Unlimited BlackBerry Data, BIS, 1500 SMS/MMS messages.

Phone history:
    Sprint (1998-2002): Nokia 6185 -> Moto StarTAC -> Moto TimePort -> Samsung SCH-A460
    AT&T/Cingular/at&t/whatever it is this week (2002-Present): Nokia 8390 -> SE T68i -> Nokia 6200 -> Moto v600 -> Moto v551 -> Moto v557 -> Nokia 6682 -> BlackBerry 8100 -> BlackBerry 8310 -> BlackBerry 9000

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by awyeah
    You have to remember that most people don't care about faster data rates and cool phones. I work with computers, most of my coworkers are technology geeks, yet many of them still carry around 3360's, 6160's, a few 5160's, and one person even still has an analog nokia.

AT&T won't roll out EDGE until they know people will buy it. And most people don't really care about higher data rates. They want their phone to get good voice reception, and having it look cool is also up there on the list.

Also, AT&T's NTT DoCoMo backing isn't the silver bullet you seem to believe that it is. The fact is that the wireless industry isn't really doing that well, for the same reason that I just stated above - people don't care. GSM doesn't offer too many features that most people care about enough to buy a whole new phone to take advantage of. They can make and receive calls just fine with TDMA. Color screens are cool, but my phone's color screen doesn't help me make and receive calls better. I care because I'm a technogeek. Most people aren't.

Not only that, but the competition is cutthroat. Prices are getting too low. I'm surprised they haven't bottomed out already. The market is saturated. We have 5 major carriers and all kinds of local ones. I'm surprised that none of them have gone under yet.
    Yes I completely agree with what you said pretty much all the way. As I've said time and time again, in the United States right now people care about getting good reliable service that's relatively cheap and offers a reasonable amount of minutes for a good price. Until that happens, all these extra features such as data services, MMS and whatnot won't take off and hit their stride.

Also the statement about DoCoMo's backing is pretty spot on too. As I mentioned in also another thread, all the financial backing won't do a bit of good if the money is squandered on phones and services that can't deliver up to the consumers' expectations. Of course the extra money does go a long way toward helping AT&T realize their goal of blanketing and overlaying their old TDMA network with GSM and eventually EDGE and UMTS systems. But the money alone won't solve problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast