Thread: Has anyone used their unlocked phone on Cingular's or T-mobile's prepaid plans?

Device(s)
    V360
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Has anyone used their unlocked phone on Cingular's or T-mobile's prepaid plans?

I can't roam in the U.S. because I'm on PayGo. I'm just wondering what people's experiences have been using the prepaid plans from U.S. carriers. Is it as simple as just taking out your Rogers SIM and putting a U.S. SIM in? I'm looking to buy a prepaid SIM off Ebay.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson S710a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers!
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I should have done that on my trip to Chicago last weekend. I think I used on and off about 30 mins while in the US.

I'm prepping myself for a hefty bill next month

Prepaid while in the US is the way to go, i'll listen to my own advice on my next trip down. I'd suggest going with T-Mobile, i've done a comparison of Cingular and T-Mobile Prepaid, and T-Mobile came out the winner...if you spend more than $100 (either all at once, or acrued over time), all your minutes last 365 days!

Device(s)
    V360
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the info about Cingular vs. T-mobile. The reason I'm leaning towards Cingular is because their coverage seems better, and also because they use 850 whereas T-mobile is still 1900. I also doubt I'd be racking up over $100 over the course of my trip. I guess it really depends on where you're going and what your needs are though...

Carrier(s)
    •Rogers Wireless•
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GCCH
    I can't roam in the U.S. because I'm on PayGo. I'm just wondering what people's experiences have been using the prepaid plans from U.S. carriers. Is it as simple as just taking out your Rogers SIM and putting a U.S. SIM in? I'm looking to buy a prepaid SIM off Ebay.

It's that simple...

I always use pre paid w/ my fones when I am in the U.S.

Device(s)
    V360
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Synncere
    It's that simple...

Did you get your SIM cards off Ebay? Is that the cheapest way? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson S710a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers!
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ebay is one way to do it, all you really need is the SIM. Ebay is one source, going there and buying it in the US is another. I prefer Ebay, and having stuff come to me, but that's just because i'm lazy.

I can't comment on T-Mobile coverage vs. Cingular's coverage...I did however make a thread on both T-mobile and Cingular forums about this exact topic. It might be worth your while to take a gander in those forums as well (that's where I learned about the T-mobile $100 thing).

That said and done, Cingular does give you unlimited cingular to cingular calling on prepaid, so if you know a lot of people on cingular, you wouldn't be eating into your minutes bucket.

Cheers.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    While I was down in New England this past summer I roamed on both T-Mobile and Cingular. Strange thing: Cingular would let me dial any number as I would here (1-416-555-1212 for example) local or long distance. When I was on T-Mobile it would only let me make local or 800 calls. I tried using the "+" sign as well but nothing worked. I ended up having to use my calling card to make just regular long distance calls back to Canada.

I tried both my phones (Razr and x-426) but found the same thing. Anyone else experience this?

Device(s)
    BB9320, Nokia C3
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I`ve tried prepaid T-mobile SIMS on 2 different occasions with my unlocked Nokia 3595. There was no problem in the phone recognizing the T-Mo network in the US with the prepaid SIM, but I had to place a call to T-mo customer service (calling their toll free number from a payphone) to get the phone recognized on their network so that I could place calls. (this was last summer). When I went the same route this past summer, there was no problem placing or receiving calls, the phone worked fine from the start.

You can't refill on T-mo prepaid using a non-US credit card, you would either have to buy a card online from a retailer like cheapphonecards.com, or from a retailer like Wal-Mart or 7-11. Interestingly, none of the T-mobile dealers I encountered in shopping malls sold prepaid cards.

Hap

Device(s)
    BB9320, Nokia C3
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by catechumen
    While I was down in New England this past summer I roamed on both T-Mobile and Cingular. Strange thing: Cingular would let me dial any number as I would here (1-416-555-1212 for example) local or long distance. When I was on T-Mobile it would only let me make local or 800 calls. I tried using the "+" sign as well but nothing worked. I ended up having to use my calling card to make just regular long distance calls back to Canada.

I tried both my phones (Razr and x-426) but found the same thing. Anyone else experience this?
    Weird! I had no problem calling long distance to Montreal using T-mobile prepaid in Orlando, FL, this was this past August.

Device(s)
    V360
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumSulfate
    I can't comment on T-Mobile coverage vs. Cingular's coverage...I did however make a thread on both T-mobile and Cingular forums about this exact topic. It might be worth your while to take a gander in those forums as well (that's where I learned about the T-mobile $100 thing).
    I just read your thread and found it really helpful. Thanks!

Device(s)
    HD Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Synncere
    It's that simple...

Doesn't the phone have to be unlocked?

Device(s)
    V360
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by szpirit
    Doesn't the phone have to be unlocked?
    Yes, it does. (Note title of thread.)

Device(s)
    Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumSulfate
    I should have done that on my trip to Chicago last weekend. I think I used on and off about 30 mins while in the US.

I'm prepping myself for a hefty bill next month

Prepaid while in the US is the way to go, i'll listen to my own advice on my next trip down. I'd suggest going with T-Mobile, i've done a comparison of Cingular and T-Mobile Prepaid, and T-Mobile came out the winner...if you spend more than $100 (either all at once, or acrued over time), all your minutes last 365 days!
    Being from the states I can tell you that unless you're in a fairly densely populated area, or on a major interstate, T-Mobile kinda sucks compared to Cingular.
    Tim Wochomurka

Touch my stutter tone and DIE