Thread: Abnormal Program Termination - HELP!!!!

Feedback Score

Abnormal Program Termination - HELP!!!!

I have BB 7250. I use Desktop Redirector and USB to sync the Calendar / Tasks / Notes / Contacts with MS Exchange. Had not problems for 6 month. Last week the Exchange Server at work crashed and IT installed a new HW. Since then Redirector is OK, Notes / Tasks / Contacts sync - OK, but when sync the Calendar the DesktopMgr.exe crashes with Visual C++ Window saying - abnormal program termination.
    What I did:
    - Removed profiles.
    - Complete uninstall of RIM DeskTop SW 4.0.1
    - Scratch Install Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003.
    - Installed on different HW - new laptop.

Nothing helps.

I guess something in Exchange got changed or corrupted. Any ideas? Please help.
    Last edited by CTAKAH; 09-22-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    So nobody knows how to resolve this... That is bad news...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Post Having the Same Problem

I am having the exact same problem after upgrading the BlackBerry device software to 4.0.2. I have tried using both 4.0 and 4.1 of the desktop software, but everytime I try to sync the calendar, I get the same runtime error with abnormal program termination.
    My company uses the BES, but I am not sure which version they have installed. I am also connecting to an Exchange 2003 calendar.

The only way I have been able to sync my calendar is to change the Intellisync options for calendar sync from Outlook to BlackBerry Wireless. This allows me to sync the calendar at any time, not just through the Desktop manager.

If anyone knows what causes this issue, I would be interesting in more information.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

I use BIS and when I upgraded my DS to v4.1 I also could not sync. What I did was completly removed all bb software from my computer. Then installed v4.1, at that point I went to intellisync and reset configurations. After that I set up what I sync with and then closed intellisync and then hook my bb up and that seemed to solve my problem.

pink
    Spongebob: Squidward just told me a hilarious joke and I thought you might like to hear it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    Cricket Wireless referral

Feedback Score
    Thried it all - no help... Looking for a reliable trashcan...

Feedback Score
    Tried it all - no help... Looking for a reliable trashcan...

Feedback Score

Try Archiving stuff

I never archive anything in Outlook and I've been like this for 6 years. Anyhow, a friend recommended I AutoArchive my calendar (DesktopMgr.exe was crapping out on 487 of 919 calendar items during my intellisync). After I did this, sync'ing happened nicely. Of course I ran into this issue the first time I sync'd my blackberry period. So not sure if this will work for everyone, but it's an easy thing to try.

Device(s)
    V325
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

I had a user yesterday with this same issue. Desktopmgr.exe was crapping out on calendar entry 670/682 during sync.

It turns out one of the appointments in their Outlook calendar had a little too much info stored in the notes. The user had pasted a table from a web page into the entry's notes and I think that is what was causing the crash. After I deleted the entry everything ran fine.

To solve this I exported his calendar to a PST created a separate and new test calendar. I set this test calendar to sync with the blackberry and only imported certain date ranges for each test. You can filter this during the import process. I narrowed it down to about 20 entries using "created on or after 01/01/2006" and "starts on or after 01/01/2006" filters, and from there I just deleted entries one at a time until I found the offending appointment.

I suppose archiving your calendar would also get rid of the problem appointment if it was outdated, but this user had just recently created the entry and had been syncing their calendar for quite some time.

I hope this helps!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7250
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

Abnormal Program Termination Blackberry Desktop Manager

I followed portions of the solutions above and came up with a final solution, that worked for me. It's true that a calender item has an attachment. Follow these steps (Outlook 2003) to find the offending calender entries. This same solution may work for other areas (tasks, etc) but I used it only because there was a failure on Calender entries.

1) Disconnect your BB from USB
    2) Open Outlook
    3) Goto Tools|Find|Advanced Find (Ctrl-Shift-F)
    4) Set "Look For:" to "Appointments and Meetings"
    5) Choose the More Choices tab
    6) Check the box for "Only items with: One or more Attachments"
    7) Click Find Now
    8) Open each email and remove/save off any attachments, pictures (they are considered attachments); I even had a company logo in someones signature show up as an attachment. A horizontal line was even another. Anything that you might think needs to be removed.
    9) When you feel you have remove offending attachments, press Esc key
    10) Choose "Yes" to save the new entry
    11) If any/all attachments have been removed, it will no longer show in the Advanced Find list.
    12) When all entries have been processed, connect your BB by USB
    13) Everything should be good.

Hope this helps.

Greg
    Sr. DBA

Feedback Score

SnapJag's solution works

I had the exact same problem.
    I enjoy the versatilty that allowing attachments to my Outlook calendar items provides me, but when there are too many then it did cause the BB DM program to abort during synch.

Removing the calendar items with attachments worked just like in SnapJag's post.

Also know that since your Outlook calendar keeps some of your prior calendar items, it is important to go back and either archive or delete some that are still in there.

Feedback Score
    SnapJag... your solution worked perfectly. Thanks much!

(sure hope that BB addresses this synch bug at some point --- I know that I am going to have this issue again).

Feedback Score

Outlook crashes on Sync

My outlook 2003 mysteriously began crashing on sync (entry 3 of 52) too. An earlier post suggested a large entry to be the problem, but there is a much easier way to find it.

On the calendar page, Choose Options in upper right, Advanced Find.Under search, More Choices, you can search for unusually large calendar entries. I searched for anything over 5k and it found 3. I deleted them, and the sync problem dissapeared.
    Last edited by Rick Goulian; 02-26-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: misspelling