Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Ericsson P990i Discussion

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angel_wing0
    damn 2 mp camera with auto focus, ms duo pro (as i have a 1 gb one already), touchscreen with wifi...thats my NEXT phone! (hmm..sorry N91 i want the touch screen with wifi )

(wrong section! )

doesnt look like there will be a north american version thou..else they would have announce it~

every new phone which comes out u want it dont u ?

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilezen
    I guess this phone will be good to use some time at the end of next year when 3G kicks into effect in the U.S., otherwise for us 850mhz people, no luck.
    not going to work on US UMTS... we are implementing on a different band than the rest of the world (as usual), so any UMTS phone for Europe won't work on U.S. UMTS frequencies (they use 2100mhz UMTS, Cingular is 1900mhz UMTS).

No EDGE SUCKS! I would be all over this badboy (even though it's kinda ugly in my opinion), if it had included EDGE.

Hopefully a N. American version will have EDGE included.

-olly

Device(s)
    Main Phones: HTC Touch Diamond, Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If only it has a built in GPS... I loved my P910A, was the best device I ever had, but the CPU speed sucks and apps.. Does anyone know if the present apps could run on the new UIQ 3 with Symbian 9?

Device(s)
    Iphone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a feeling that there will be a P990a that will have EDGE instead of UMTS. It only makes sense to include a huge smartphone market like North America.

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratan
    I have a feeling that there will be a P990a that will have EDGE instead of UMTS. It only makes sense to include a huge smartphone market like North America.
    lol, problem is that what makes sense and what actually happen rarely seem to be in line with each other.

but I hope you are right!

@xynos: from what I've read, some apps will, some won't. UIQ 3 breaks with the API tha was used in UIQ 2.1 (p910), and Symbian 9.1 doesn't make it any easier.

The problem with program compatibility in this situation is that you are dealing with a.) a new OS rev, and b.) a new UI rev. So you have to program for both. But i'm sure that most major vendors are already getting their butts in gear to update for UIQ 3.

-olly

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ollywompus
    lol, problem is that what makes sense and what actually happen rarely seem to be in line with each other.

but I hope you are right!

@xynos: from what I've read, some apps will, some won't. UIQ 3 breaks with the API tha was used in UIQ 2.1 (p910), and Symbian 9.1 doesn't make it any easier.

The problem with program compatibility in this situation is that you are dealing with a.) a new OS rev, and b.) a new UI rev. So you have to program for both. But i'm sure that most major vendors are already getting their butts in gear to update for UIQ 3.

-olly
    *Groan* That's what I'm afraid of. When I jumped on WM5, I have the most difficult time getting apps working. I guess I'll wait for a while before jumping on 990

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-5660M, Nokia N95-4, Sony Ericsson Z/W710i, Z520a, Z600, T200, T310, T237
    Carrier(s)
    7-11 SpeakOut Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zykur
    Why did they put the keyboard on the phone instead of the flip? Will that mean you won't be able to take the flip off?
    u could always, even with the older models
    Ericsson / Sony Ericsson, the choice of:
    • Charlie's Angels
    • Lara Croft
    • James Bond

Feedback Score
    Well, that's really nice, but could we also upgrade the P910 to Symbian 9.1 and UIQ 3. Because for the time being, the P910 is sufficiant for me.

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xynos
    *Groan* That's what I'm afraid of. When I jumped on WM5, I have the most difficult time getting apps working. I guess I'll wait for a while before jumping on 990
    Hopefully it won't be that bad, consider this from the symbian.com website:

To ensure a large proportion of applications are available on the new Symbian and UIQ software platform when the P990 goes on sale, Sony Ericsson has decided to announce the smartphone well in advance of availability so that developers have time to create and certify as many applications as possible:

Sony Ericsson:
    “The technical prowess of the P990 will be brought to full life by applications from the third party developer community,” said Jan Wäreby, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales and Marketing. “Demand for applications on the P800, P900 and P910 has been very high. Our smartphones have been recognised as the most advanced and useful on the market, and we want to maintain this reputation with the P990 by ensuring there’s a rich supply of top applications for enterprise, productivity, leisure and gaming when users make their first visit to the Sony Ericsson Application Shop.”
    (here's the link) http://www.symbian.com/news/cn/2005/cn20053156.html

Don't give up on compatiblity!

Still can't get over the EDGE thing though...

-olly

Device(s)
    Current phone: E51
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    This device uses a proprietary Sony memory stick technology. Again, Sony is trying to push its own proprietary technology everywhere. No thanks.

Device(s)
    Current phone: E51
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Again, Sony pushes its own incompatible proprietary technology. They could have used MMC or SD memory sticks but no they had to reinvent the wheel.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Finally some real pics of it. I think the production model looks better than the pics that are floating around the net a few months ago. I just wish that it was a different color than silver. Black would have been nice.
    Follow me on twitter

I don't fear god. If it existed, it would fear me.

eimajuno's HoFo Feedback 100%+

Device(s)
    One Plus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    No 850 version announced again. Why not a quadband version for such a high end phone. Bad bad SE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hrmph, still a USB 1.0 connectivity for synching! Read the preview of the 990 here:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6217.html

Device(s)
    K700i
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Wow, this thing looks great. I owned a Treo 600 and the one thing I really did like was the keyboard on the device itself rather than on a flimsy flip. As a mac user, this device looks as close to perfect as I can wish for at this time. The PDA2k put me off Windows Mobile phones for a long long time. Can't wait for the P990 to become available. I will most certainly be willing to pay a premium for this device.

That is, unless Apple announce something even better on Wednesday.

Ha, that really is dreaming...

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast