Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VX9800 Bluetooth DUN

Device(s)
    Treo 700w
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not interested in using my phone as a modem. I just purchased the 9800 two days ago. Got a bluetooth dongle for XP. Installed bitpim to work with wallpapers and such. No luck. Will following these steps allow me to use bitpim or do I need to buy the 8100 USB cable to do that? Sorry I'm a nub.

Device(s)
    LG VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Connecting to the Internet Using LG VX 9800 to PDA

To All Who May Want To Connect To The Internet with your LG VX 9800 and your PDA. First, make sure both units are paired together using the Bluetooth Feature (If you need help with this, please email me and I will go step by step because once connected, though you connect via dialup mode... it is way cool).

I used the DELL AXIM X51v (will also try with PALM LifeDrive and will Post results later).

1. Purchase Wireless Access Cable (I purchased on thru Gomadic.com - $40)
    PDA Settings
    Pair together using Bluetooth
    Choose (by checking the box)Serial Port - for Wireless Access Cable connection
    Choose (by checking the box) Dial Up Connection
    Enter Number - #777 then Next
    User Name - qnc
    Password - qnc (note - once connection is made, it will reset to a larger password automatically for your phones protection - I think it is just a precaution since I use Windows Mobile 5.0 (though it worked for a friend using the previous Windows Mobile version as well)).
    Click on ADVANCED
    Baud Rate - 115200
    Check box (if not done already) Wait for dial tone before dialing...
    Check box (") Cancel if not connected in 120 sec.
    Port Settings - Leave alone as is
    TCP/IP - user server assigned IP address
    check box - use software compression (should be automatic)
    check box - use IP header compression (")
    Server - use server assigned addresses
    click OK
    click FINISH

2. LG VX 9800 Settings are as follows:

Menu-OK-press SYM key-press 0 (7X)

Choose #3 -NETWORK SELECT
    Mode Preference - 1X
    Band Preference - Any
    Roam Preference - Any
    P_REV Preference- MOB_P_REV 4 (will place LG VX9800 in Digital Mode (DIII)
    DTB Preference -DISABLE

Choose #4 - DATA
    PortMap(Data) - UART1
    PortMap(Diag) - Bluetooth
    Diag Baud(UART) - 115200
    MIP Setting - MIP Preferred
    Cable DUN Mode - on (for wireless access cable connection)
    BT DUN Mode -on (for Bluetooth connection)

After all is done, go to your connection settings on your PDA and choose Manage my connections - click on your existing connection (hold stylus on to the PDA - click connect and your on your way).

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL.

Device(s)
    LG VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Another Method for Accessing Internet using LG VX9800 to PDA

You can also do the following to connect to the internet using your LG phone and PDA (by way of Wireless Access Cable):

The LG VX 9800 can also be set this way to access the internet on your PDA

Keep previous network setup on LG phone as stated in my first post.

In the Data Section (after pressing Menu-OK-Hold on the SYM key-and at the same time press 0 (7X), do the following...

When in Services Mode, Choose #4 Data - PortMap(Data)-click on UART1; go to PortMap(Diag)- click on NULL DEV. Data Settings number 3, 4, 5 and 6 should remain the same as stated in my previous post.

Lastly, if you decide to use the Wireless Access Cable (which you can purchase from Gomadic.com for $40), go to the Settings & Tools section of the LG VX 9800 OS (operating system for the laymen), click on number 8 - PC Connection -click on number 2 - RS-232C(COM Port)... doing so will guarantee an internet connection.

Good Luck To All.

Device(s)
    Pearl(very soon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Blunts
    I'm not interested in using my phone as a modem. I just purchased the 9800 two days ago. Got a bluetooth dongle for XP. Installed bitpim to work with wallpapers and such. No luck. Will following these steps allow me to use bitpim or do I need to buy the 8100 USB cable to do that? Sorry I'm a nub.
    No these steps are using bluetooth for DUN... you want to use bluetooth as a virtual serial port... if you have any more questions about this PM me and I'll try my best to explain it to you....
    -Andrew-

Device(s)
    LG VX9800 "The V"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone figured DUN out with BT on a Mac?
    - bombboyer

NEW Motorola Z6tv (still figuring it out)
    RIP my vx9800

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher35
    To All Who May Want To Connect To The Internet with your LG VX 9800 and your PDA. First, make sure both units are paired together using the Bluetooth Feature (If you need help with this, please email me and I will go step by step because once connected, though you connect via dialup mode... it is way cool).

I used the DELL AXIM X51v (will also try with PALM LifeDrive and will Post results later).

1. Purchase Wireless Access Cable (I purchased on thru Gomadic.com - $40)
    PDA Settings
    Pair together using Bluetooth
    Choose (by checking the box)Serial Port - for Wireless Access Cable connection
    Choose (by checking the box) Dial Up Connection
    Enter Number - #777 then Next
    User Name - qnc
    Password - qnc (note - once connection is made, it will reset to a larger password automatically for your phones protection - I think it is just a precaution since I use Windows Mobile 5.0 (though it worked for a friend using the previous Windows Mobile version as well)).
    Click on ADVANCED
    Baud Rate - 115200
    Check box (if not done already) Wait for dial tone before dialing...
    Check box (") Cancel if not connected in 120 sec.
    Port Settings - Leave alone as is
    TCP/IP - user server assigned IP address
    check box - use software compression (should be automatic)
    check box - use IP header compression (")
    Server - use server assigned addresses
    click OK
    click FINISH

2. LG VX 9800 Settings are as follows:

Menu-OK-press SYM key-press 0 (7X)

Choose #3 -NETWORK SELECT
    Mode Preference - 1X
    Band Preference - Any
    Roam Preference - Any
    P_REV Preference- MOB_P_REV 4 (will place LG VX9800 in Digital Mode (DIII)
    DTB Preference -DISABLE

Choose #4 - DATA
    PortMap(Data) - UART1
    PortMap(Diag) - Bluetooth
    Diag Baud(UART) - 115200
    MIP Setting - MIP Preferred
    Cable DUN Mode - on (for wireless access cable connection)
    BT DUN Mode -on (for Bluetooth connection)

After all is done, go to your connection settings on your PDA and choose Manage my connections - click on your existing connection (hold stylus on to the PDA - click connect and your on your way).

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL.

I am looking forward to see if you can get your lifedrive to work. I've tried the other methods listed in this thread but to no avail on my Tapwave Zodiac Device. It uses Palm OS 5.2T. If I do the QNC method it simply tries to dial the phone a few times and then I get a "No Dial Tone" error. If I connect using network I get the Serial cable/bt problem. I tried many different ways. Also if I put the phone in 1x mode only DIII, It won't even dial it will say problem with the Serial cable/bt. It seems there is some scripting that is used no matter what but I have no clue what to put in there.

Device(s)
    LG VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

"VX9800 Bluetooth DUN" update

I actually went ahead and sold the LifeDrive so I can't say what would work. But, what type of cable are you using?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LG Vx9800: LGE-VX9800/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I'm not using a cable. The zodiac is a unique pda and no connectors would work with it so I am using bluetooth.
    Billy
    LordShadowz

Device(s)
    Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I tried with X30 and it worked like a charm. However I noticed that apart from the Version and Mode options. rest of the changed values reverted back to the old value once the phone i s rebooted(Still letting me access the internet).

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    what about tethering evdo? is that going to happen? that way you dont have to use minutes and switch to 1x in the phone menu.
    Last edited by fletch33; 12-23-2005 at 02:57 PM. Reason: oops
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

WHO-DEY!!!

Device(s)
    LG VX9800 "The V"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    OK I got 1x speeds working with Bluetooth on my Mac (10.4)!!! Instructions below:

-------------------------------------
    Essentially, what needs to be done is to force Internet Connect to authenticate via PAP. This was the conclusion I drew from the thread linked above. However in Mac OS X, there is no option to select PAP authentication, so the system defaults to CHAP/MSCHAP and authentication thus fails when dialing #777. Instead, you must go into the system settings and manually disable CHAP. Here are my instructions from start to finish:

1. Make sure your vx9800 has paired via bluetooth to your Mac. If you have not set this up, turn on visibility on your phone, and then in Bluetooth preferences, "Set up bluetooth device." Follow the instructions from there. Make sure that in bluetooth settings on the vx9800, under "paired devices," the PC Connection is set.
    2. Make sure that 1x only is selected on your phone. To change this, click "OK" on the inside keypad to bring up the menu, then press "0", followed by the service code "000000". Press 3 for Network select, press 1 for Mode, choose 1x only.
    3. On your Mac, open up prefernces, goto Network. Click "Show" and then "Bluetooth." Click "Bluetooth Modem." For modem, select "Verizon Support (PC 5220)". This script should come pre-loaded on Mac OS X.
    4. The important step. Open up Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal. Type in the following commands:

cd ../../etc/ppp

sudo pico

Type in your root password. Copy and paste the following lines into the terminal (actually the terminal application pico).

refuse-chap
    refuse-mschap
    refuse-mschap-v2

Type Control-X to exit pico. it will ask you if you want to save. type Y for yes, then save the file as "options" without parenthesis. hit enter.

In the future, to revert to original default system settings, go open terminal and type sudo rm ../../ppp/options

5. Open up Applications-->Internet Connect. Click Bluetooth. Fill in the following fields:
    Telephone #: #777
    Account name: [email protected]
    Password: vzw

Click Connect, and you should be able to connect to VZW's network at 1x speeds. In my testing, this works out to about 17 KBs/sec, a huge improvement over QNC speeds.

Feedback Score

10.4.3 VX 9800 over BT

Excellent instructions works just as you wrote... I did not need to change phone to 1X ... thanks, this was driving me mad... Ross
    -------------------------------------
    Essentially, what needs to be done is to force Internet Connect to authenticate via PAP. This was the conclusion I drew from the thread linked above. However in Mac OS X, there is no option to select PAP authentication, so the system defaults to CHAP/MSCHAP and authentication thus fails when dialing #777. Instead, you must go into the system settings and manually disable CHAP. Here are my instructions from start to finish:

1. Make sure your vx9800 has paired via bluetooth to your Mac. If you have not set this up, turn on visibility on your phone, and then in Bluetooth preferences, "Set up bluetooth device." Follow the instructions from there. Make sure that in bluetooth settings on the vx9800, under "paired devices," the PC Connection is set.
    2. Make sure that 1x only is selected on your phone. To change this, click "OK" on the inside keypad to bring up the menu, then press "0", followed by the service code "000000". Press 3 for Network select, press 1 for Mode, choose 1x only.
    3. On your Mac, open up prefernces, goto Network. Click "Show" and then "Bluetooth." Click "Bluetooth Modem." For modem, select "Verizon Support (PC 5220)". This script should come pre-loaded on Mac OS X.
    4. The important step. Open up Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal. Type in the following commands:

cd ../../etc/ppp

sudo pico

Type in your root password. Copy and paste the following lines into the terminal (actually the terminal application pico).

refuse-chap
    refuse-mschap
    refuse-mschap-v2

Type Control-X to exit pico. it will ask you if you want to save. type Y for yes, then save the file as "options" without parenthesis. hit enter.

In the future, to revert to original default system settings, go open terminal and type sudo rm ../../ppp/options

5. Open up Applications-->Internet Connect. Click Bluetooth. Fill in the following fields:
    Telephone #: #777
    Account name: [email protected]

Click Connect, and you should be able to connect to VZW's network at 1x speeds. In my testing, this works out to about 17 KBs/sec, a huge improvement over QNC speeds.[/QUOTE]

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker557
    OK, I messed around with some settings and managed to connect at 1X speeds. I'm not sure if these same setting will work at EVDO network speeds. Here are the exact settings I used with my LG VX9800 with Windows XP using the stock windows "Network Connections" dialer:

Phone:
    I didn't change any settings on the phone, however, I'm not in an EVDO area. If you are in a EVDO network area it may or may not be necessary to put the phone into 1X only mode. Either way, here's how to do it if you need to:

*NOTE - this step may not be required!*
    Open the phone and press OK, 0, 000000 to access the services menu.
    Press 3, Network Select
    Press 1, Mode Preference
    Select 1X only. (Remember to change it back to Digital Only Hybrid when done)

Bluetooth:
    You're on your own here guys. I use a cable and have all of the appropriate drivers.

Network Connections Settings (computer dial up settings):
    Dial number: #777
    Username: "your10digitnumber"@vzw3g.com
    Select Properties,
    Select "Options" tab
    Under "Dialing options" check "display progress while connecting", "prompt or name and password, certificate, etc.", and "prompt for phone number"
    Select Security tab, Select "Advanced" (NOT typical), Under "Data encryption" select "Optional Encryption"
    Under "Login Security" select "Allow These Protocols" and check ONLY "unencrypted passwords (PAP)"
    Select "Networking" tab
    Ensure that "type of dial up" is set to PPP

Don't ask me why these particular settings work, but they do for me. I had previously tried MANY other settings and ALL reasonable username / password combinations without success. I hope this works for you!

Good luck!

wow that was easy. these instructions worked perfectly. however i am in an evdo are and i had to force my phone to 1x to make it connect.

it sure would be nice if we could tether the evdo network. that is 1 thing i miss about my e815.

Feedback Score

Vx9800 As Modem With Blutooth Pc Card

hello all..ok here's my problem..i have a vx9800 cell and a bluetooth motorola pcmcia card..ok they are paired the laptop can see the the cell and visaversa...i'm trying to get on aol..and use the cell as the modem it dials out fine but nothing happens ..i'm sure it's me not setting the dial-up properties correct i'm not even sure where to begin, any help with this or a point in the right direction would be appreciated..thanks in advance..laptop(dell inspiron1100)OS(xp media edition)cellphone (verizon vx9800)ive read the other post and these seem geared towards macs ..and pda i'm new to this so i'm going to need kids gloves thanks again

Feedback Score

got it

never mind responding to my previous post i tried the instructions found in this thread and it worked perfectly thanks for the info

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast