Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Question about VZW hiring process

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    930
    Device(s)
    Samsung M510,Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel,SPCS,Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    [QUOTE=AlwaysOn]AmsterdamRave, you seem to believe you have great knowledge about companies, jobs, and the real world. But the real world doesn't function just as you might wish.[QUOTE]

    So in the real world is common for managers to be 2 hours late and not even be the least be sorry about it? I don't want to work for corporate america not if its attitude is to string people along. And if Verizon was JP morgan they would not dare ask someone to sit there for 2 hours and wasted that candidates time.

    You guys seem to be willing to kiss verizon's *** for a job well im sorry i am not a kiss up. I speak my mind in a Tactful respectful manner. But i will not suck up just to get a job. And anyone who does is selling out
    Last edited by AmsterdamRave; 01-03-2006 at 07:17 PM.
    I'm an atari wanna play with my joystick?

    My Feedback
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=627646

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    129
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterdamRave
    I have a Degree and lots of experience i cancelled a Job interview at Ag Edwards to go there today to have them waist my time. If anything they should be breaking their back to get someone with my Qualifications.
    So wait, you have all this experience and a degree and you want a retail job?? Why?? thats retarded...but whatever floats your boat...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does anyone know if a disorderly conduct from 4 years ago would automatically disqualify me for a job?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Zagreb and Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,879
    Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    China Unicom
    Feedback Score
    0
    Actually, yes, it is common in corporate America for people to be late to appointments, although it's certainly not something that is common during interviews where I work (we have a very structured interview process that can often take months from beginning to end). While it sounds like something just came up in this case, the manager also may have be testing you to see how you would react.

    After waiting for a reasonable amount of time, you could have politely indicated that you had a prior commitment and left a message for the manager asking him to reschedule. It sounds like that's what he wanted to do anyway.

    There is a certain amount of butt-kissing and sucking up that you have to do in order to get a job in corporate America. It's not common to wait, either; good, well-paying jobs are rarely filled quickly. You may view this as selling out; if so, so be it. If you want to play the game, you need to understand the rules of engagement. Corporate America rarely does anything quickly, and isn't always polite, either.

    So, if you want my advice, listen to OldEngineer. Judging from my (admittedly limited) experience, he's right, and I'd confidently bet that he has a lot more experience in this regard than I do!

    So in the real world is common for managers to be 2 hours late and not even be the least be sorry about it? I don't want to work for corporate america not if its attitude is to string people along. And if Verizon was JP morgan they would not dare ask someone to sit there for 2 hours and wasted that candidates time.

    You guys seem to be willing to kiss verizon's *** for a job well im sorry i am not a kiss up. I speak my mind in a Tactful respectful manner. But i will not suck up just to get a job. And anyone who does is selling out
    Last edited by TProphet; 01-04-2006 at 04:04 AM. Reason: formatting error

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Zagreb and Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,879
    Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    China Unicom
    Feedback Score
    0
    Disorderly conduct, public urination, disturbing the peace, and most other things that you get cited for if you have a little too much to drink are rarely felonies. Most job applications only ask about felony convictions within the last 7 years, so you should be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by thejlw
    Does anyone know if a disorderly conduct from 4 years ago would automatically disqualify me for a job?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah I thought that was the case. I applied for tmobile and I believe on their application it asked something along the lines of, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor within the last 5 years?"

    I must have read the question as far as, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony..." checked 'no' and went on to the next question.

    When they did my background check, it showed up as a discrepancy and they told me they couldn't hire me.

    I guess the lesson learned is to read the whole question. I think had I put it down, it wouldn't have been a problem.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    421
    Device(s)
    LG VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't admit to anything, no matter how 'death squad' their background check seems. Bad employer references? Mixup the phone number or address. Oops, simple mistake. More than likely it will just be a Choicepoint history and they make mistakes so finagle your way out of any tight spot explaining how they've got it all wrong.
    But if you do have a conviction and want to be an accountant at ya-ya corporation, apply for a mail clerk or other 'easy' job where the scrutiny won't be as high. Then network inside and apply from within several months down the road. Don't admit to any arrest nor conviction, not even for an easy job in. The worst case is you don't get the job, which you wouldn't of gotten anyway had you checked that little box.
    Find businesses that have gone under recently and list those as past employers. Superimpose your SSN... Mostly they just rely on your conscience to 'tell the truth'. Tell them what they want to hear. Yeah it's unethical, but so is corporate America.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had my first interview this week and I think it went pretty well. They said they'd probably like to have me come back in for a 2nd interview. We had a little small talk where I asked a few questions and then they asked me if I had anymore questions. I said 'no' and they led me out of the buidling. As soon as the security-enabled door shut behind me I thought, "Damn, I forgot to ask when I could expect a call". So now, Im left to twiddle my thumbs and hope they call. I suppose theres no real timeline as far as receiving a call back, but Id just like to know one way or the other.

    Im wondering if it would be bad to call someone and maybe ask when they would be making a decision on who their going to bring back for a 2nd interview and even if that would be ok, I have no idea who or where to call. Anyone got any suggestions?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    421
    Device(s)
    LG VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Be creative. Send a thank you note for the interview opportunity and state you look forward to hearing from them. If you get a reject, inquire that you'd really like to be able to do this position and what improvements could you make, or what were your weaknesses?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's a good idea. But...here comes the but...I uhhh...my uhhh head was swimming so much I can't remember the name(s) of either of the guys who interviewed me...damn Im smart...err...not

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Zagreb and Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,879
    Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    China Unicom
    Feedback Score
    0
    The problem is if you lie about a conviction and get caught later, you'll almost certainly be fired. If you tell the truth about a disorderly conduct conviction (which is a misdemeanor widely recognized to be a BS charge), it's unlikely to be a problem. Nearly everyone can relate to having a bit too much to drink and things getting a little rowdy--when the cops show up, everyone gets arrested.

    Most employers won't hire you if your background check doesn't come back clean, unless you have disclosed whatever is on it. You have very limited recourse to resolve incorrect information on a background check, and the employer is under no obligation to hire you even if you do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeylala
    Don't admit to anything, no matter how 'death squad' their background check seems. Bad employer references? Mixup the phone number or address. Oops, simple mistake. More than likely it will just be a Choicepoint history and they make mistakes so finagle your way out of any tight spot explaining how they've got it all wrong.
    But if you do have a conviction and want to be an accountant at ya-ya corporation, apply for a mail clerk or other 'easy' job where the scrutiny won't be as high. Then network inside and apply from within several months down the road. Don't admit to any arrest nor conviction, not even for an easy job in. The worst case is you don't get the job, which you wouldn't of gotten anyway had you checked that little box.
    Find businesses that have gone under recently and list those as past employers. Superimpose your SSN... Mostly they just rely on your conscience to 'tell the truth'. Tell them what they want to hear. Yeah it's unethical, but so is corporate America.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TProphet
    The problem is if you lie about a conviction and get caught later, you'll almost certainly be fired. If you tell the truth about a disorderly conduct conviction (which is a misdemeanor widely recognized to be a BS charge), it's unlikely to be a problem. Nearly everyone can relate to having a bit too much to drink and things getting a little rowdy--when the cops show up, everyone gets arrested.

    Most employers won't hire you if your background check doesn't come back clean, unless you have disclosed whatever is on it. You have very limited recourse to resolve incorrect information on a background check, and the employer is under no obligation to hire you even if you do so.
    Thats true...I lost a tmobile job because I didn't put my disorderly conduct charge on the application. I didn't intentionally try to be deceitful, but because they found it in the process of doing a background check they said they couldn't hire me.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hello,
    Could share with us your resume ?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,748
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question about VZW hiring process

    Quote Originally Posted by Vensen View Post
    Hello,
    Could share with us your resume ?
    Wow. This is a blast from the past. The last reply on this thread was nearly 14 years ago.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,022
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Time to close this ancient thread. If anyone has questions in the future, please start a new thread.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks