Thread: Packed Up 700 & Back to 650

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Packed Up 700 & Back to 650

Lately, little things about the 700 have begun to nag at me even though I have about the same very good stability on it as my 650. Actually I worry about similar things using either - availability of RAM on the 700 and RAM cache on the 650 - and I make sure to close apps not needed on the 700 and watch the cache on the 650 and reset before it gets much below 2MB. All that is not great but OK.

What isn't OK is the slow and uncertain syncing process for WM5 - even though wireless syncing with an Exchange server is far better than USB. Also from time to time I get duplicate or missing contacts and appointments so I have to check my data after each sync. With the 650 it is very fast and bulletproof, especially using MissingSync to sync with Entourage and SplashID on the Mac - don't use any iapps or isync.

What isn't OK is the inability on the 700 to easily manually connect to 1X (EVDO not available) and even some WM5 compatible apps like PocketWeather sometimes won't connect at all or on schedule. The really bad thing is that in the past few days connecting to 1X with the 700 has gotten slower and slower (up to a minute to connect) and now more often fails than connects so something is degrading. I know I probably need to hard reset and start over but I don't have the time for that now. The 650 connects within a few seconds and never fails either manually or automatically - and always has.

What isn't OK is the inability to reliablely send/receive a MMS message - sometimes it works great but more often it doesn't work at all. On the 650 it always works. The same thing was true of my TMO 650 compared to the KJAM - WM developers have not yet figured out how to implement MMS reliablely.

There are other things too that are frustrating but I guess I just am tired of doing something on the 700 and wondering if it will work OK, while on the 650, I can concentrate on what I am doing and never think about if it will work or not.

So for me for the time being I am going back to my 650 and my Mac until things get better on the 700 - perhaps through future upgrade(s) or more compatible apps. I am not very happy about this because I lke the flexibility of WM5 and the 700 is by far the best PPC I have ever used and the mods for one-handed use are great but I can't put up with the sort of general "flakyness" that always seems to exist with MS products. This time somebody else can do the "beta" testing.

Frank

Device(s)
    Sprint Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So long...to each their own. I had much more "flakiness" on my 650 than the 700w. All the hacks I had to install on that device to, at the very least, make it a good phone made it very unstable consistently.

To be honest, the Treo 650 has got to be about the most flaky converged device that I've used. The Treo 600 was one of the best; the 700w beats that one a bit with all the modern advancements.
    --Brandon--

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    So long...to each their own. I had much more "flakiness" on my 650 than the 700w. All the hacks I had to install on that device to, at the very least, make it a good phone made it very unstable consistently.

To be honest, the Treo 650 has got to be about the most flaky converged device that I've used. The Treo 600 was one of the best; the 700w beats that one a bit with all the modern advancements.
    "To each their own" - how true this is in the converged device business with respect to hacks, third party apps and personal experience with individual devices. My 600(s) were flakey, my 650(s) are not and have required no hacks, my 700 is flakey, etc. No right answer in all of this - hopefully the manufacturers and developers will someday make these points moot.

Frank

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is why they make so many devices.
    Treo 700; one man's nirvana another's hell.

Best PDA/converged device I've used; even with some things I don't like.

tech
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    XV600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I have to admit, I packed up my Treo 650 and sold it on eBay, as I did the 600 before it. I did scrutinize the two for the 15 days - believe me. Although I like the Palm operating system, and I still have a T/X, it still drove me crazy when it came to syncing between the office and the home machine. Activesync is smooth as silk and doesn't produce duplicates.

I stuck with the 650's form factor in the 6700w. I think Palm has a great feel, size, and functionality in their Treo PDA phones.

Once I figured out the issue with the Activesync scheduling as pointed out by others in this forum, I have had fewer soft resets than with the 650. Veramail never did work on the 650. And the Outlook interface with easy access to SMS, MMS, and other email is great.

The operating systems are very different, but as an MS Office user, the compatibility and simplicity of WM5 can't be beat.

I do wish MS would make some improvements such as integrating the Tasks on the Calendar screen (the way Datebk5 on the Palm does it), and better memory management. When I exit a program, I prefer it exited completely!