Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: FAQ1: Nokia Data / Connectivity Cables DKU-2 DKU-5 CA-42 CA-53

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    FITH BEYOND Thunder Bay
    Posts
    18,278
    Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good Work!

    consider the ORIGINAL data cable - especially when doing high-speed wireless packet data connection and you do not have Bluetooth access. The stability, reliability is somtimes worth for the price.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    ok just got back from compusa they don't seem to carry data cables anymore. Yea i've checked the online nokia store, it says "Coming soon," so i guess they're out of stock, so ill just wait a few days for them to have it again.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    6256i cat-53 cable and memory issues

    I purchased a ca-53 from ebay since i just wanted to see if i could use pc suite to manage my contacts better and get the pictures off my phone to the pc.

    I installed the drivers that came with it.. and then downloaded the latest verions of PC suite. But experiencing the following problems. I did contact nokia and they just suggested installing the latest version of pc suite.

    it doesn't seem to recoginze the phone or sync I did notice that the usb data transfer is grayed out.. should it be once i installed the cable drivers.

    It sometimes tells me to insert the a memory card, i have 4.01 mb available on the system info so not sure what that means, do i need a memory card to make this work?

    Since I have infrared should i use a bluetooth instead, i've read the transfer rates are slow?

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Cathe

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    Java game/applications using data cables

    I am a software developer looking to purchase a Nokia phone. I havn't found anybody complaining that they have trouble sending java games/apps to the phones over the standard cables.

    My question is: Do all/most Nokia phones allow you to transfer games/apps across the standard cables? Is this dependant on the provider?

    I have experience with other phones, and most are restricted by the phone carriers. With other brands it's easy to find people complaining and having to use BitPim and such to force apps onto the phones, but I don't see those complaints about Nokia's. I really need to be able to send apps to the phone with the cable, so I can avoid having to use the WAP browser and either paying for bandwidth, or paying for a subscription to a phone carrier.

    Has anybody had trouble with certain models or carriers restricting game/app transfer at all? Will the Nokia PC software work on every Nokia, without having to worry about the carriers?

    Also, since I'm paranoid about purchasing useless hardware, has anyone purchased specifically from Rogers in Canada, and been able to use the data cables for games/apps?

    Thanks guys. If this isn't the right place to post, than let me know.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,280
    Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by catheco
    I purchased a ca-53 from ebay since i just wanted to see if i could use pc suite to manage my contacts better and get the pictures off my phone to the pc.

    I installed the drivers that came with it.. and then downloaded the latest verions of PC suite. But experiencing the following problems. I did contact nokia and they just suggested installing the latest version of pc suite.

    it doesn't seem to recoginze the phone or sync I did notice that the usb data transfer is grayed out.. should it be once i installed the cable drivers.

    It sometimes tells me to insert the a memory card, i have 4.01 mb available on the system info so not sure what that means, do i need a memory card to make this work?

    Since I have infrared should i use a bluetooth instead, i've read the transfer rates are slow?

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Cathe
    Cathe,

    1. Try reliable 3rd programs like Mobius/PX and MobiMB instead of Nokia PC Suite in this case, you will be pleased with much more simple, user-friendly UI and powerful than PC Suite in certain categories.

    2. Have you tried the latest Connectivity Driver from Nokia? Please check with the link I have mentioned at Nokia European / US site earlier. Using Bluetooht or IR is your preference. IR is not necessarily slow depending on how much / big the file transfer are going on.
    --

    HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!


    "If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,280
    Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooble2
    I am a software developer looking to purchase a Nokia phone. I havn't found anybody complaining that they have trouble sending java games/apps to the phones over the standard cables.

    My question is: Do all/most Nokia phones allow you to transfer games/apps across the standard cables? Is this dependant on the provider?

    I have experience with other phones, and most are restricted by the phone carriers. With other brands it's easy to find people complaining and having to use BitPim and such to force apps onto the phones, but I don't see those complaints about Nokia's. I really need to be able to send apps to the phone with the cable, so I can avoid having to use the WAP browser and either paying for bandwidth, or paying for a subscription to a phone carrier.

    Has anybody had trouble with certain models or carriers restricting game/app transfer at all? Will the Nokia PC software work on every Nokia, without having to worry about the carriers?

    Also, since I'm paranoid about purchasing useless hardware, has anyone purchased specifically from Rogers in Canada, and been able to use the data cables for games/apps?

    Thanks guys. If this isn't the right place to post, than let me know.
    hooble2,

    Welcome to HoFo!

    I do not believe it will be a big problem most GSM models because most GSM carriers are not locking down their offering models. However, the trend in North America is always toward "value-added" services. So I will not be surprised Rogers or other GSM carriers will follow most CDMA carriers have been doing since the beginning.

    Carriers can ask Nokia to toggle some features in the firmware / PRI file like Assigning ringtones with DRM or in your intrest, installation apps / games / ringtones with PC Suite. If you have access to the service programs from Nokia (Phoenix and Diego), then you may find those item toggles.

    However, there are other programs exceeding the limitation of Nokia PC Suite available like I have mentioned before. So it is not all impossible.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    615
    Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have to ask the Nokia technical manager a little more about the cables. He told me that the only difference with the CA-53 vs the DKU-2 was that is was environmentally friendly. Meaning less or no lead in the the cable. I guess I will have to email him and get the straight 411.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,280
    Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTango
    I have to ask the Nokia technical manager a little more about the cables. He told me that the only difference with the CA-53 vs the DKU-2 was that is was environmentally friendly. Meaning less or no lead in the the cable. I guess I will have to email him and get the straight 411.
    AirTango,

    Thanks for the new information, as I have suspected for the longest time there is little difference between the two cables. USB2.0 architecture uses the same cables and connectors as USB1.1 compliant products! I guess the EU regulations regarding the material safety for all gadgets must play a role here.

    Good, I do not need to disect both to compare Now, I need to ask moderator to help me to update with this piece of news.
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 06-27-2006 at 11:59 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    615
    Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    0
    No Problem HC - NO "i". As soon as I get some more feedback from him I will post it.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    615
    Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    0
    He responded and said that it was the only difference.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,013
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok, new information has been updated.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    hi NOKIA S60/N-SER ,

    i ve followed ur instruction given in post #10. i have a nokia 3220 and a prolific CA-42 cable. i can transfer data between phone and PC. but i am unable to connect to internet. when installing nokia 3220 driver, at one stage it asks under which COM port should the modem be installed. i have a doubt there. my prolific cable is installed under COM5. and while installing nokia 3220 modem it asks whether i want to install it under COM1 or COM5. which port should be selected there?

    i ve tried both. in both cases, i first use nokia connection manager to connected to the phone, which is successful. after that i go to Nokia PC Suite > Connect to internet > Connect. when i do this, the phone automatically get disconnected from the PC. and in the phone a message is displayed saying "Enhancement not supported".

    Thanks.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    Generic DKU-5 Cable Modem + Data Transfer Procedure

    I felt the need to post here after getting a generic DKU-5 USB cable working for my Nokia 3220. This will probably work for other Nokia phones as well. The prior post where another user got their data cable working was the only other source on the internet it seemed of a success. Here's the process:

    1) If you haven't bought a cable yet, seriously consider the true Nokia brand cable - it will save you from a lot of headaches. If you are a technical expert with a lot of time on your hands, proceed though these directions.

    2) Take your generic cable, but do not install the drivers. Uninstall all drivers and Nokia PC Suite if you installed them prior. Run Avast Antivirus on the driver disk that came with your generic cable - mine was infected with a trojan virus (eBay special) which led to unbelievable slowdown of the computer, and required a reinstallation of Windows...

    3) Install the Prolific serial to usb driver (this assumes you have the Prolific chipset, as my cable does). This driver makes the USB cable you bought appear to programs as a serial cable, which the 3220 phone requires. The official Nokia cables for this device are serial cables: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

    4) Install the DKU-5 driver. If everything goes smoothly, you should have the DKU-5 Connectivity Adaptor Cable listed under Ports in Window's Device Manager in the Control Panel: http://www.nokiausa.com/support/software/dku5/driver

    4) Install the newest Nokia PC Suite for your phone model. Do not connect your phone to the cable until the installation program tells you to. Make sure the serial port is selected for its search. If it does not detect your phone, try another USB port. The installation program is USB port specific and requires you to always use the same USB port once installed. Your computer may slow to a halt during this process; if so, a reboot is required to free up the COM port: http://europe.nokia.com/A4144907

    5) You should be able to do file transfers, backups, etc. of the phone now if everything installed correctly - the Nokia PC Suite should show a phone connected. If you have troubles with detection, try reinstalling the Prolific or DKU-5 drivers. Also, if the DKU-5 driver is in the control panel, you can change its COM port (Properties, Port Settings, Advanced) which may solve your problem.

    6) GPRS Modem installation: if you have everything working to this point, proceed with this step. Go into Nokia PC Suite under Connection Manager. Uncheck the box next to the serial port (IMPORTANT). This disconnects the software from your phone. Go to the Control Panel and add a modem. Select it from a list - the Nokia phones should be available, which are installed by the prior programs. Select your phone, then it will ask for a COM port to install the modem on. Go the Device Manager in the Control Panel and note which COM port the DKU-5 is on. The modem must be installed on this COM port to work. After installation, you can go back into Nokia PC Suite and enable the serial port. Go to Connect to the Internet in Nokia PC Suite. Setup a connection for your service provider as the settings are different for each. Let the program dial and with any luck, you will have a working GPRS modem! (You may need to reboot first as Window's dial up networking and Nokia PC Suite conflict with one another, so only one method may be used or the system becomes unstable, rendering your modem unreachable.)

    So hopefully a few of you will get your GPRS modems working with Nokia phones using my many hours of work for the above instructions. The instructions are from memory as well, so there may be a few spots where you need to do some of your own internet searching or apply your own technical knowledge to the problem.

    I am writing you from my computer using the Nokia 3220 GPRS modem right now over my DKU-5 USB generic cable! It is possible. Good luck!
    Last edited by mslezak; 08-28-2006 at 01:57 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,280
    Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    mslezak,

    Thanks for helping out further, it is valuable for many fellow members.

    However, as I have mentioned, while some knock-off / after-market DKU-5 / CA-42 are still using Microchip PIC12C508A microcontroller and the Prolific PL2303 USB-to-Serial bridge controller to mimic the original DKU-5 (NOT even close to a CA-42), there are also some cables are using the Texas Instrument TUSB3410 RS-232/IR-to-USB converter. So we have to dig deep in the hardware IDs in Device Manager to find out which chips they are really using.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    is there a way for my nokia 8800 to connect to the computer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks