Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FAQ1: Nokia Data / Connectivity Cables DKU-2 DKU-5 CA-42 CA-53

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb FAQ1: Nokia Data / Connectivity Cables DKU-2 DKU-5 CA-42 CA-53

Folks,

Recently, there are many fellow members asking about the Data Cables for their Nokia. Well, I ask the moderator HF 25 to help me with this sticky thread.

Before we go on, the data cables we discuss here are ONLY for the Nokia handset models with Pop-port. If you are using some models that require special cable go underneath the battery silo or connector looks nothing like Pop-port, those are not covered here!

1. How different are they?

First, look at the pictures...

DKU-2: It is straight Pop-port to USB cable. It does not appear to have microcontroller or USB-serial bridge inside the cable. The cable connectors are in Black color.

CA-53: It is replacing the DKU-2, both are electrically identical but CA-53 is RoHS compliant without any hazardous material in manufacturing (more on this later). The cable connectors are in Gray color.

CA-42: It is replacing the DKU-5 for most newer compatible handsets. It eliminates the software emulation but doing the Pop-port to USB conversion right at chip inside the cable. No more virtual COM port will be installed and - which is totally different from DKU-5. It behaves more like a true plug-n-play when a handset is attached. Speed can go beyond the DKU-5's 115200bps limitation (at 230400bps). The cable connectors are in Blue color and the USB side is about 7cm in length, which is longer than DKU-2 or CA-53.

DKU-5: It is the older design with serial port emulation and there is a speed limit at 115200bps. NOT a good idea for today's high speed packet data connection. It is also very clumsy with the driver. The cable connectors are in Black color and the USB side is about 7cm in length, which is longer than DKU-2 or CA-53. Please note: the current version of Nokia PC Suite NO LONGER supports DKU-5.

For more detailed discussion, please check out http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=717691

2. So which cable is the one for my Nokia?

http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,79898,00.html
    http://www.nokiausa.com/A4494180

NOTE: there maybe still discrepancies in the above sites but the general rule of thumb... CA-42 supersedes DKU-5 while CA-53 supersedes DKU-2. Just newer cables are NOT necessarily backward compatible with older handset models.

3. Where can I find the ORIGINAL drivers of cables?

It comes with the CD in the package. However, you can check with Nokia for the current versions as well.

http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,81912,00.html
    http://www.nokiausa.com/A4435821

4. Is it possible to use DKU-2 / DKU-5 / CA-42 / CA-53 to charge the phones?

NO, those cable are strictly for data connection. Unlike some charging stands or music stands, those cables DO NOT have the pins for charging the handset via Pop-port.

5. How come the connector does not seems to fit the phone / too tight?

The Pop-port is designed as is. Do not be afraid you will break it, just make sure the Nokia or the "arrow" logo facing you like the second picture shown above, align with your handset's Pop-port connector. Then push it in. That is it. When you disconnect the cable, just pull it out.

6. The ORIGINAL CA-42 / DKU-5 cables are quite expensive and hard to get elsewhere but Nokia itself. So is it the same to get one on eBay or my neighbourhood phone dealer? It save me half of the cost!

Well, even if you just use the cables for transferring ringtones / wallpapers / themes / images / music files and not requiring high-speed wireless packet data connection, sometimes, it is still NOT worth the trouble. Why? Read the frustrated stories from our fellow members...

http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=830463
    http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=830291
    http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=812496
    http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=816947
    http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=747318
    http:///www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=800366

... there are more if you S E A R C H here in HoFo and beyond!

Many aftermarket / knock-off CA-42 cables, in particular, are just aftermarket / knock-off DKU-5 with the different look and packaging! Many of them are still using Microchip PIC12C508A microcontroller and the Prolific PL2303 USB-to-Serial bridge controller to mimic the original DKU-5 (NOT even close to a CA-42). There are also some cables are using the Texas Instrument TUSB3410 RS-232/IR-to-USB converter while some others aer using ArkMicro ARK3116T USB-to-UART Controller (Thanks to frantik for the tips in http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=47). The outcome is these alternative designs make the cable behave DIFFERENT from the original CA-42, so incompatibility / unstable issues may arise. Without the secretive Nokia firmware, it is very different to follow how the REAL CA-42 works.

Sure, most of them comes with the "drivers" on the CD-ROM. However, there are also many of them on the same CD-ROM! It is like a compilation of drivers for different brands / models. Try one by one may still not recognized properly by your computer. Try to find the drivers at http://www.citronid.com/download.asp or Google the keywords of the chips mentioned above (or the read the resource table / Hardware ID when detected by your computer) may yield some success to get the right driver.

So the decision is yours... To save your precious time and efforts or to save some money? To me, time is money - even for a hobbyist / enthusiast / Nokia-freak like me

7. Is there any other alternatives that can save some money and hassles then?

Well, it depends on your Nokia... If it comes with IR or Bluetooth connection capabilities, then getting a IR or Bluetooth dongle may be better served in your situation and beyond.

8. What about the DKU-2 or CA-53? It sounds very straight-forward as Pop-port to USB connection. So is it okay to grab the aftermarket ones then?

Maybe. The thing is that many Nokia models that use the DKU-2 have got one inside the box when you get the handset! And, I have seen some large carriers even packed the Nokia boxes with an aftermarket / knock-off DKU-2! (Well, I do have an original one though from a 6230b but last time, when I bought a Nokia 6230i at CSL/0101 shop in Hong Kong, it cames with an aftermarket / knock-off cable ) Since the DKU-2 does not appear to install driver for anything more than the phone itself, I give the aftermarket / knock-off cables a little benefit of the doubt in this circumstance.

Now, about the CA-53, some Nokia models that use the CA-53 have got one inside the box when you get the handset too. I have yet to dissect, determine or compare the difference / significance between the ORIGINAL and aftermarket / knock-off ones. All I understand, it officially has reference of USB2.0 compliant. But you know, USB2.0 architecture uses the same cables and connectors as USB1.1 compliant products! Just that DKU-2 has never claimed to be USB2.0 compliant. It could be just the material of the cable (i.e. better shielding, the strands of cable, etc.)

*UPDATES regarding the differences between DKU-2 and CA-53: Fellow member, AirTango has a tip from the source at Nokia... the CA-53 is basically working in the same way like the DKU-2. So they are electrically identical but the material it uses, would meet the RoHS directive / material safety standard in EU (for more information, please refer to http://www.rohs.gov.uk/ ).

Meanwhile, fellow member, 'LilRedDog has claimed about the great experience with the CA-53 and suggested it does make a difference from the DKU-2 when doing wireless data connection with the compatible handset:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=891041

9. Are you an engineer or working for Nokia? Why should I believe in you?

No, I am not an engineer in the field and I am not working for Nokia. However, as I have mentioned before, I am a cellphone enthusiast / Nokia freak! More importantly, I have burnt by the aftermarket / knock-off cables before and have wasted my time and money on something totally avoidable. So believe in me or not, it is all up to you. No hard feeling and wish that I can offer help.

--

In summary, I still recommend you to consider the ORIGINAL data cable - especially when doing high-speed wireless packet data connection and you do not have Bluetooth access. The stability, reliability is sometimes worth for the price.

{From Mod. 25: As per author's request, this post will be updated when new information has been obtained.}
    Last edited by Moderator HF 25; 06-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Feedback Score

DKU-5 for nokia on Windows ME

I am having trouble conecting my Nokia 3220 to my PC with my DKU-5 (I didn't get any drivers or CDs with it. I have tryed downloading every driver on Nokias website but it still doesn't recognized the phone is their all I have in Device Manageer is it shows up under Other device as USB Device and no drivers. Can someone help me

steve

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    firemanstevesmi,

Greetings. It is almost certain that you are NOT having an ORIGINAL Nokia cable and therefore the Nokia driver will NOT work with your aftermarket / knock-off cable! Try Google with the keywords, TUSB3410 and Prolific PL2303 drivers.

Again, your story is very common.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure i have an original DKU-2 cable. And it doesn't work with PC Suite. I've tried the cable drivers and diffrent version of the PC Suite software.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gonwee,

If you are using the 3220, the DKU-2 is NOT the right cable - DKU-5 or CA-42 (recommended) rather! BTW, as I have mentioned above: Check the corresponding cable for your model at Nokia sites... http://www.nokiausa.com/support/pcsu...our_phone.html

Feedback Score
    I'm also pretty sure I have the real cable, only I have the CA-42, which I'm pretty sure is the right one for my phone, which is the 3220. Anyway, I installed the drivers, installed the PC Suite, and made a back up with it, and that worked fine. The problem is, everything else doesn't work. Well, that is, everything else I've tried. I've tried doing a file transfer, store images, and create a wallpaper, and none of them have worked.

For the file transfer, it gives me an error when I first open it, saying that the operation couldn't be completed. Then I go to my phone and try to open the directory, and I get the same message, and there are no folders or files in it. So that just doesn't work at all.

For the store images, I select my phone, and the greyed out buttons (store now, settings) dont become solid, and I can't do anything.

For the create wallpapers, I can get the images all prepared, and then when I press update to phone, it says it fails to do it.

*Correction: I just tested the text message feature, and it works fine, but I didn't get the cable for that.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    lazyaznboi,

Sorry to hear your story. However, have you tried the 3rd party programs like I have suggested (e.g. MobiMB)? Also, where do you get your CA-42? Do not be so sure about the authenticity! There are so many crooks in this world... because I have seen them all the time.

Feedback Score
    Is there ANY cable/software combination, Nokia or aftermarket, that transfers data via Macintosh?

Gene B.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

6101 modem driver

Ok somehow I got a fake ca-42 cable, I get the prolific usb device message. I found the driver and installed it ok. My computer and NPC now recognize the 6101 when I plug it in. I can transfer data but I cannot use the modem function (OTA). I cannot use my phone with my T-mobile EDGE/GPRS either. These all work fine with my S60 (N90 and 6260) phones on the true nokia CA-53 cable.

I found the stand alone modem driver from nokia, but I don't know where to install it. would this be the driver i need? I guess I'm asking does PC suite One Touch Access look for the driver for the phone or the driver for the cable? My cable driver should be ok, or maybe I am missing the modem driver portion for the cable. Anyone know where or how I should be installing the nokia 6101 modem driver

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Generic Data Cable Works

Ok, I got this generic CA-42 data cable to work all functions, even modem. And it wasn't even that difficult.

Uninstall all previous attempts first.

Leave cable unplugged

I had to install the driver for the cable, you have to find driver from manufacturer; Prolific usb, uses the PL2303 driver, the other Texas Instrument you have to use the TI-virtual serial port driver.

Install Nokia PC suite.

Plug in cable and phone to PC, wait.
    It will first recognize the usb cable, then install the drivers, then it will recognize the phone then install the drivers for the phone. Does your pc recognize your phone?

To use EDGE/GPRS modem function, you have to download the modem only driver for your specific phone from Nokia website. Make sure you are downloading the .inf for the modem driver only, not the cable driver.

Right click, install modem driver.

After driver is installed automatically.

Go to control panel/Phone and modem/ select add. Choose Nokia, then find your phone. Click next, everything should be automatic. It should show a COM port your phone/modem is configured to. Click ok. You're done.

Now in PC suite, connect to the internet with OTA. You may have to select your phone from the drop down box.

One thing I found out is that the com port is set on the Usb port you configured it to. So to use your phone as a modem, you will always have to plug it into the same usb slot you installed your phone on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NOKIA S60/N-SER,

Thanks for going on with tips for after-market / knock-off cables!

The reason why it is better off to use the very same USB port everytime is that, the way of how these data cables are installed in Windows. It creates a specific COM port, configuration for every incident, then the program settings, modem settings are set to work with it. If you plug it in another port the next time, everything will be changed!

There is a way that works for me: Force all hidden devices to show in the device manager and delete the items that no longer current. Also, in the Modem & Phones, delete all the previous detected ones and let to add it back again by itself.

Feedback Score
    Where can i buy a genuine nokia data cable ca 42 from? i checked the nokia website and it says "coming soon." is their any other websites that have them?
    Last edited by desiPOMF; 04-13-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6256i
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    you can buy it from compusa thats where i bought mine but make sure its the one you need there are several different kinds

Feedback Score
    oh thank you, yea i checked i got a nokia 6610 and it says the ca-42 works on it. Do you know if compusa has the genuine nokia ca-42?

Again thanks for the reply

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    desiPOMF,

Have you tried the Nokia's own online store if you are living in the US / Canada?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast