Thread: Peru GSM Prepaid? (Or SPCS roaming?)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Peru GSM Prepaid? (Or SPCS roaming?)

Hello everyone,

I will be taking a week-long trip to Lima, Peru in May, and I'd like to be able to have a working mobile phone while I'm down there.

I have a Sprint PCS phone that I use in the USA, and it can use analog 800, CDMA800 and CDMA1900 networks, but I doubt that Sprint PCS has roaming agreements in Peru.

Therefore, I'm thinking the best way to go would be to get a prepaid GSM SIM card because I happen to have a spare unlocked 900/1900MHz GSM phone sitting around.

Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish well at all (although I'm learning) so it's a little hard to go to carriers' websites and get price, availability, and ordering information. Therefore, I was wondering if any of you guys happen to know who the GSM providers in Lima are, and what their prepaid prices are.

Also, do you think I can get the prepaid SIM card shipped to me here in the US ahead of time? I'd prefer to do that than have to find a place to buy one once I get there.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    ~Rusty

Device(s)
    HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mob USA
    Feedback Score

Re: Peru GSM Prepaid? (Or SPCS roaming?)

Originally posted by rdekema
    Hello everyone,

I will be taking a week-long trip to Lima, Peru in May, and I'd like to be able to have a working mobile phone while I'm down there.
    (...)
    Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish well at all (although I'm learning) so it's a little hard to go to carriers' websites and get price, availability, and ordering information. Therefore, I was wondering if any of you guys happen to know who the GSM providers in Lima are, and what their prepaid prices are.
    ~Rusty
    One privider - TIM - operating a smallish and young (less than 2 years old) GSM 1900 MHz network. Prepaid SIMs are available but I doubt that you can have one shipped to the US.

http://www.tim.com.pe/
    ==> ePhonite <==

Device(s)
    Motorola V60g
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers AT&T*GSM
    Feedback Score
    ephonite is right, TIM is the only gsm provider in Peru. Their plans are quite confusing(maybe it's just me) there is TIM mia, TIM siempre, and TIM luna.

TIM mia is a weird plan, they have peak and off-peak rates, and what they are saying is that you can set the time when you want to talk, and you will get cheap rates for the set time that you chose.
    RATE: norm. 3.50 per min. reduced: 0.99 per min.

TIM siempre is the equivalent of the North American anytime minutes.
    RATE: no reduced rate available, only one: 1.50 per min.

TIM luna is the equivalent of the North American plans which are geared towards evening users...keep in mind though that this is a bit like the TIM mia plan, but your set time would be from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. and you would get the reduced rate.
    RATE: norm. 4.0 per min. reduced: 0.85 per min.

note, the above figures are in peruvian currency. Hope I did not screw anything up in the translation, and hope this helps I am not sure if they have pre-paid service...i have not found it yet. Feel free to ask me anytime...ill try to explore their site
    GANGSTAS FOR BREAKFAST

Device(s)
    Motorola V60g
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers AT&T*GSM
    Feedback Score
    I just found their pre-paid pack, and it includes a phone....but I guess you can buy sim card only...they call it TIMpack