Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Will a normal SIM work in the upcoming 3G phones?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    526
    Device(s)
    HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Will a normal SIM work in the upcoming 3G phones?

    Just had this question as I was typing a response to another thread. Will the new 3G phones work with a normal SIM? Reason I ask is that I have my contacts stored on my SIM card right now. I'd hate to have to input all of them into a new phone.

    Of course, the use would just be to transfer the contacts to the phone, and then right back to the 3G SIM.

    Thanks,

    Super

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    67
    Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was just on the phone with a rep because of some other issues, but he was telling me that you will have to get a new sim card in order to take advantage of the new network. He said that none of the current pda phones will be able to support it; regardless of the sim card and that they expect some new phones later this year that will support UTMS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,290
    Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson TM506 (Amber)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Personal),
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a new 3G SIM. Yet everybody claims its recalled...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,692
    Device(s)
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    0
    i use my ATTWS sim on the lucent network and it works fine. 32k regular sim.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    211
    Device(s)
    7280
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Blue
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTek
    I have a new 3G SIM. Yet everybody claims its recalled...
    If it's the GemPlus (sku number ending with G), then yes it's recalled. It has memory issues which cause it to fail, as well as cause other issues such as getting an insert sim message.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,290
    Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson TM506 (Amber)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Personal),
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genetru
    If it's the GemPlus (sku number ending with G), then yes it's recalled. It has memory issues which cause it to fail, as well as cause other issues such as getting an insert sim message.
    If I didn't visit HowardForums, who would ever know? I remember this being posted back in late December. Yet the recalled SIMS are still being sold in stores. I was sold one on 2/8/2006 with my new RAZR. No issues with the SIM. My SKU does have a G at the end but does match the SKU everybody claims is recalled. The G means it is a 3G SIM card, and every GEMPLUS 3G card has a G at the end of the SKU.

    Does anybody even have any official document on this?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    526
    Device(s)
    HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madizms
    I was just on the phone with a rep because of some other issues, but he was telling me that you will have to get a new sim card in order to take advantage of the new network. He said that none of the current pda phones will be able to support it; regardless of the sim card and that they expect some new phones later this year that will support UTMS.
    Right. I didn't expect to be able to use the 3G network with an old SIM. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have to manually enter all my contacts again. And I really didn't want to hear it from my wife if would have to too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    526
    Device(s)
    HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Isriam
    i use my ATTWS sim on the lucent network and it works fine. 32k regular sim.
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    211
    Device(s)
    7280
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Blue
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTek
    If I didn't visit HowardForums, who would ever know? I remember this being posted back in late December. Yet the recalled SIMS are still being sold in stores. I was sold one on 2/8/2006 with my new RAZR. No issues with the SIM. My SKU does have a G at the end but does match the SKU everybody claims is recalled. The G means it is a 3G SIM card, and every GEMPLUS 3G card has a G at the end of the SKU.

    Does anybody even have any official document on this?
    I do, but I don't think I can post it. Yeah, basically there was one main sku which escapes me at the moment (I'll look it at work if needed) but the product advisory also goes on to see that any of the GemPlus 64K sims are potentially liable to the same issue.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    san diego/vista
    Posts
    3,944
    Device(s)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    the now network
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-D600E/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/6.2.3.3.c.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

    kinda off topic but will unlocked blue utms phones work right now. If i bought one would my account need to provisoned or would it be ready to go

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,692
    Device(s)
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    0
    my blue phone works on it. i'm a tech though so i can't say for consumers.

Bookmarks