Thread: Summer Tire Reviews

Device(s)
    Droid-X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    (All weather Z rated performance tire) 2007 Hyundai Sonata

Tire Brand: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    They are worn down now, and in need of replacement so I'm talking about past experience with them, not current. Always had them at 31psi

Tire Size: 255/50/17
    How long you had them: From day I got the car, they were brand new so 27k miles

How They perform in Dry Roads:
    Always performed nicely, gripped very well... Fast cornering was usually persise a little bit of under steer though. Ive token on ramps at 60...

How They perform in Wet Roads: Um, during a downpour I would have to accelerate from a stop very lightly without wheel hop or spin (although esc does help)

How They perform in off Roads: Never took em off the main path...

How Are they performance wise: Ive token these tires of to their speed rating, 146... although not for long, they seem to track really nicely, even at 120 they cruise just like I was at 90, no vibration really smooooth

Would you use them again this Season?: I think I would prefer another tire with better value (were: 150, now they are 137 a tire)

Overall your opinion of this Tire: I liked them, I can't do what I use to with them, they work a bit quick, but I was hard on them so I take that into consideration... They still have 30% thread on them.
    Current: Note2
    Backup: HTC, Thunderbolt -- HTC Incredible (Skyraider)
    Past: Droid, Devour, Omnia 2, Pearl, Flipshot, Juke, Voygr, Storm, Q, Dare, Boulder, U740, LG/V-111, Noko 3589, Moto V710, Moto T720, Mifi, Noko 5185i

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Maxxis victra ma-z1

DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE!

Seriously, worst tire ever!

It was good in the sense that:

It was grippy, and handling in the rain was 'alright', reason i say alright is that they did not lead to my demise over the few weeks of consistent rain we had in the capital region.

Bad:

So freaking noisy!!! This was my biggest issue, it was unbearable, anything above 80km/h, sure all was well, anything under, a loud whine, and a vibration at certain frequencies that would reverberate in the cabin and made it more audible.

Conclusion, do not get them! They are not worth it, and they are not 'cheap' either, they cost more than the Nankang NS-II tire, that I am a huge fan of, but these were ~20$ more per tire, and worse!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

General Exclaim uhp

General Exclaim uhp

So after getting rid of my Maxxis headache, i purchased some General's.

This seemed to be a decent bargain tire at the time, so i went for it as i needed some tires!

Anyways, i have absolutely NOTHING BAD TO SAY!

They are seriously fantastic tires.

Pros:
    Super quiet
    Tread wear is slow [in the sense that they do not wear out fast]
    Very grippy in all sorts of conditions. [rain, super cold had them on until end of November when the tires get really hard]
    VERY quiet.

Cons:
    Price would be the only one for some looking at 'very cheap' alternatives.

However General was bought in part by Continental tires, and they make some really good stuff. So more research revealed this was one of their old designs from a few years back. As part of the partnership they decided to rebrand the tire to a more 'cost effective' market. The thing is they have pricey stuff, so you get essentially a Continental tire that would cost you 350$/piece for less than half of that! That is a good deal IMO.

Anyways, i cannot complain, and i have now found a proper company for tires that i will be using from now on!

-Mike

West of the "upside down horseshoe", Missouri
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Brand : Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
    Tire Size : 215/40/17 ($131/tire at TireRack, $121 at Discount Tire Direct)
    How long you had them : This latest set I've had for a couple of months.
    How They perform in Dry Roads : Good
    How They perform in Wet Roads : Decent
    How They perform in off Roads : Gravel is OK, grass, but generally I wouldn't recommend it.
    How Are they performance wise : After driving Kumho MX's for a number of years (went through at least 3 sets in the last few years), I wanted to try something different. Thread design is quite similar to the MX's, except it has a higher threadlife. When I first drove on it, the Star Specs felt greasy to me, maybe because of the film that slowly goes away during break in. But, it seems to hold its own. Strong grip, pretty responsive on turns. Seems to do better in the wet than the MX, and seems to go higher to the limit. Haven't driven them on the autox (well, it is winter now :P), but I've heard they have been popular tires for the street touring crowd, especially in shaved form.
    Would you use them again this Season?: Not sure yet, but if it outperforms the MX when I do more spirited driving, it's possible.
    Overall your opinion of this Tire?Price is relatively inexpensive compared to some higher profile tires, and delivers very good performance in dry and wet conditions.
    James

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred...--Soichiro Honda
    www.preludeonline.com

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmagda
    General Exclaim uhp
    Have to back these up. Great tires when I had my Altima and it's a shame they don't make them in my size for the infiniti

Brand : Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
    Tire Size : 245/40/19
    How long you had them : This year. Had them on for the season and put about 10k miles on them.

How They perform in Dry Roads : Great traction although noisy. The car had 12k miles when I got it, put winter tires on for 3k mile and then went back to summer for another 10k. They were already old and had cracks but still held up fantastically when dry. Only issue is that they tramlined a lot.

How They perform in Wet Roads : Great but I'm used to tires with more aggressive treads to repel water. looking at them I really didn't feel comfortable pushing the car in the rain especially when there were puddles around.

How They perform in off Roads : Barely went off road but not great. could be that I have a lead foot but they do tend to lose traction frequently.

How Are they performance wise : Excellent. they held together and still let me push the car very hard. the tramlining and noise are a concern but expected out of such a tire.

Would you use them again this Season?: No. As great as they are, I don't want to pay $250+ per tires when I have road trips in my car. after an hour, it just becomes unbearable to drive with music low. looking at the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta since I have heard positive reviews on them and they seem to be quiet.

Feedback Score
    Tire Brand : Kumho Solus KH16
    Tire Size : 195/60R15
    How long you had them : 4 months
    How They perform in Dry Roads : excellent
    How They perform in Wet Roads : very good
    How They perform in off Roads : idk
    How Are they preformance wise : excellent
    Would you use them again this Season?: yes
    Overall your opinion of this Tire? Very quiet tire. Traction rating AA. Temperature rating A. As good as or BETTER than the BridgeStone Potenza that came OEM. Only $53 a tire! I am very satisfied.

West of the "upside down horseshoe", Missouri
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^^^I have those tires as my all-seasons for the winter. Not too bad, and decent on light snow.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Brand : Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
    Tire Size : 245/40/19
    How long you had them : Since April, put about 2k to 3k miles on them.

How They perform in Dry Roads : Excellent. There's a bit of vibration the first few miles if the car sits for some time but usually gone after no more than 5 miles of driving. Tire is very quiet with no more droaning noises and no more tramlining. I can even use the built in bluetooth while driving at around 80mph without issues. Before, people could barely hear me at anything over 40mph.

How They perform in Wet Roads : great. On colder days, the tires can spin if I get get on them when they're still cold. Went through deep puddles and barely noticed it. There was hydroplaning at first but only for a split second.

How They perform in off Roads : haven't taken it off road yet.

How Are they performance wise : excellent. Went on a spirited drive with several S2000's, most were highly modded, and was able to keep up with them. The size and weight of the car kept me from pushing it further more so than the tires themselves.

Would you use them again this Season?: absolutely. They handle great in wet and dry conditions, are quiet, and are meant to last longer than the OEM Bridgestone that came on the M45. The odd tread design has shown issues on the track from what I read but for day to day driving with a lot of spirited driving, I find them to be perfect.

Feedback Score
    I second that the Generals UHP are a great tire for the price. Used to work great with my old M3, compared to the other nasty high price options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3