Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba 803T (Vodafone) problems

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Angry Toshiba 803T (Vodafone) problems

I recently got a 803t and there are some strange things i cannot understand.

1. The address book is not sorted alphabetically, so it's pretty much impossible to find people. I synced the phone with my contacts from Outlook. Is this normal behaviour.

2. The text input is pretty bad. I thought the phone would have some sort of predictive input (T9), but it doesnt seem to. Am I correct?

3. Using files are being pushed through bluetooth, the phone goes into offline mode (turns off the reception).

4. Mp3s are not supported. I sent one accross bluetooth and it ended up in the "Other" files folder. Same for Java files (Opera mini). The java file did work if downloaded through the browser, but not otherwise. Why?

5. Impressions: nice phone, but the software (interface) is rather ******. I dont know if this is because it a phone made for the japanese (and the interface makes perfect sense in japanese), or because Toshiba engineers were smoking crack.

Any comments?

Device(s)
    iPhone - yeah, I finally got one
    Carrier(s)
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voicunebunu
    I recently got a 803t and there are some strange things i cannot understand.

1. The address book is not sorted alphabetically, so it's pretty much impossible to find people. I synced the phone with my contacts from Outlook. Is this normal behaviour.

2. The text input is pretty bad. I thought the phone would have some sort of predictive input (T9), but it doesnt seem to. Am I correct?

3. Using files are being pushed through bluetooth, the phone goes into offline mode (turns off the reception).

4. Mp3s are not supported. I sent one accross bluetooth and it ended up in the "Other" files folder. Same for Java files (Opera mini). The java file did work if downloaded through the browser, but not otherwise. Why?

5. Impressions: nice phone, but the software (interface) is rather ******. I dont know if this is because it a phone made for the japanese (and the interface makes perfect sense in japanese), or because Toshiba engineers were smoking crack.

Any comments?
    1. at least with the sharp phones, you will have to enter a READING for each contact. only then will they be listed in order.

2. T9 isn't used for texting Japanese so I guess they didn't think to add it for english. the sharp 903 with japanese firmware also doesnt have T9

3. similar again to the sharp and i think SE, when using object push, calls cannot be made or received. this is normal. mind you any transfer of more than 2 megs is gonna take a while.

4. MP3 files I believe must be DRM, except if you use iTunes you can convert the MP3s to AAC and it should play. You will just have to put the music files onto the right folder on the miniSD card.

Java files are always loaded through the phone's wireless download. Very rarely are java apps installable through the memory card. Also, sometimes you can install stuff through infrared, although, with the TOshiba I am not sure.

5. Toshiba engineers are well known for their crack smoking.

Device(s)
    SE K800i
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/3-3G
    Feedback Score
    what do u mean by entering a READING ??
    Can you explain furthermore?
    Thanks..

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    It's an extra field when you're entering the contact info. "first name", "last name", "reading", "etc". On the sony ericsson 802 (with japanese firmware) you would also have to enter this part because that's how it was sorted.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevbodian
    1. at least with the sharp phones, you will have to enter a READING for each contact. only then will they be listed in order.

2. T9 isn't used for texting Japanese so I guess they didn't think to add it for english. the sharp 903 with japanese firmware also doesnt have T9

3. similar again to the sharp and i think SE, when using object push, calls cannot be made or received. this is normal. mind you any transfer of more than 2 megs is gonna take a while.

4. MP3 files I believe must be DRM, except if you use iTunes you can convert the MP3s to AAC and it should play. You will just have to put the music files onto the right folder on the miniSD card.

Java files are always loaded through the phone's wireless download. Very rarely are java apps installable through the memory card. Also, sometimes you can install stuff through infrared, although, with the TOshiba I am not sure.

5. Toshiba engineers are well known for their crack smoking.
    Hey, thanks for shedding some light, but perhaps you can help turn on the lights completely.

1. The reading field does indeed exist, but what should I fill it in with. And why do they use such a thing??? And how could I do this without having to type in something for each individual contact (i have 109 in my address book).

2. T9 i think i understand now. Funny enough, there doesnt seem to be a key for Space either, you just have to use the D pad. Strange people, I tell you...

3. I have a K750, so when i push an object, it doesnt look like the reception turns off. I mean, i have no idea if I can receive calls, but at least I think i can.

4. No comments.

5. Funny

6. I am adding this because something else strange is happening. I added the settings for GPRS for Tmobile USA, and it seems that ever since, I am getting this message that says something like "Settings downloaded from network, want to apply?". If i say yes, it says it failed because of network error. Is this something Vodaphone specific?

7. Reading all this, I guess I will never buy anything made for that market again. Playing around with this phone, I dont see what the fuss is all about the japanese handsets. As far as the picture quality on the Sharp phones, I dont think I could stand using a phone with a menu like the Toshiba just because it takes nice pictures.

8. My mom always taught me that you cannot poop on people's taste, so take comment 7 lightly...

Device(s)
    Sharp SH0902C
    Carrier(s)
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score
    1. The reading is needed for Japanese contact names - normally you put a Kanji (Chinese character) name in the first/last name fields and you put the Hiragana version in the reading field. For English names you'll need to duplicate the full name (first & last) in the reading field. The phonebook then sorts by the reading field alphabetically.
    2. T9 was deleted in the 803T and 903T. They put it in the 902T and 904T though. Don't quite know what they were thinking... In Japanese text you don't use spaces, that's why there's no space key; you just move to the right if you need to.
    3. Sharps and Toshibas block any incoming calls while doing Bluetooth transfers. You don't actually get disconnected from the network, but they'll send any incoming calls to voicemail or something if they come in.
    4. 803T JP version doesn't support MP3 files. Use iTunes to convert the files to AAC and play those instead.
    6. This is the re-provisioning problem, and it's something you will be stuck with as the phone is only designed to run in Vodafone Japan's network (it's an OTA settings wizard, that doesn't work outside their network).
    7. Nowadays there isn't much advantage in Japanese phones as compared to those outside the country. Euro manufacturers have caught up with them now, more or less.
    AL
    Mobile: Sharp SH0902C

Device(s)
    Current Using: D900, N80, Sharp 904SH, Qtek 9100, Nokia BH800
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    welll sinec you guys answered all the questoins.. i don't haf a need to answer any more

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info guys, you are great!

Device(s)
    902sh
    Carrier(s)
    vodafone
    Feedback Score
    On the Jp 803T:
    "4." Music files copied with Beat engine seems to convert files into .tbd files.
    The strange thing is that if you change the sim card, the phone wont play the file.

Also the manual doesn't say it supports aac files.

Can someone confirm?

Cheers,
    G81
    www.landk.ne.jp/en/
    Last edited by g81; 04-08-2006 at 03:16 AM. Reason: mispelling
    ---------------------------
    "Unlock'em up" -
    Unlocker in Japan
    www.landk.ne.jp/en/

Device(s)
    Sharp SH0902C
    Carrier(s)
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score
    My apologies, I got the fourth point wrong. As you say, you need to use the included software to convert music files to the TBD proprietary format before they'll play on the phone. It's really sad and pathetic that changing SIM cards deactivates the music files. DRM is just going too far these days.

It was from the 904T that support for AAC files without DRM was added. Sorry about that

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ... its not suprising tho about hte sim card changing tho.. it does that for th e903SH for games and such.. u put in a diff sim.. the games are deactivated.

Device(s)
    Sharp SH0902C
    Carrier(s)
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score
    Yeah... it's a Voda Japan thing, they seem to enjoy keeping things synched with phone numbers. It's just so annoying that all other firmware versions copped the same restriction in the case of the Sharp phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    lol. ha ha. yah... my sentiments exactlyi. it seems everything follows a rule in japan.. and we 're just not used to it

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro (Current Phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yup...and we can't really blame them or be mad since it wasn't suppose to be used outside of Japan...haha

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    oh.. we can blame them. we can blame them for everything lol.

altho. we must thank them for such innovative devices... why can't we catch up to them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast