Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a Blackberry without the Blackberry features - Possible?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Question Using a Blackberry without the Blackberry features - Possible?

Hey peeps. Thanks for reading this.

I was wondering if it was possible to use a blackberry without subscribing to a blackberry plan. I only need to use it as a phone and to send text messages - that's it. No emails. I just wanted a keyboard. I found a 7290 which is quad band. It seems to fulfill my needs. What do you guys think? Is this possible or do I need a data plan to even do send messages (not email) and make calls?

Thanks muchy.
    AL.

Carrier(s)
    •Rogers Wireless•
    Feedback Score
    You can use a BlackBerry w/out a Blackberry data pack but only for voice, sms and its pda functions.
    If that works for you then you're set. If you want to surf the web, send/recieve email and/or p2p you'll need a BlackBerry data pack through your service provider.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Great! Thanks! Not looking for anything fancy. Just want the bloody keyboard and there's only a limited number of phones which have this feature.

AL.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hey I saw this thread which brings up another question - does anyone know where the search button is on the forums. I was just wondering because I guess probably a lot of people ask this question. Never mind I'm too lazy to search for it so I'll just clutter the board up with another useless post.

Device(s)
    Blackberry - 8310,8100,7130g,8700r,7100r,7290,7280
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greensubmariner
    Hey peeps. Thanks for reading this.

I was wondering if it was possible to use a blackberry without subscribing to a blackberry plan. I only need to use it as a phone and to send text messages - that's it. No emails. I just wanted a keyboard. I found a 7290 which is quad band. It seems to fulfill my needs. What do you guys think? Is this possible or do I need a data plan to even do send messages (not email) and make calls?

Thanks muchy.
    AL.
    Yes it is very possible, just put your sim card in there and away you go. you will be able to do on the blackberry besides email, pinning, blackberry messager or anything that uses data thats all..

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.

This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Red 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
    There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.

This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.
    that's what i thought. doesn't blackberry automatically tack on a data plan once the phone is activated?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

I don't know where you got your info at, but it is wrong.. RIM dosen't care why you buy blackberries as long as you are buying one.

There is nothing stoping someone from buying a blackberry just to use the keyboard for SMS or whatever reason they want it for.. They don't have to get a BB data plan if they don't want to.. Although if you as me it is pretty crazy to have a blackberry without a data plan

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700
    Feedback Score
    on rogers... no blackberry plan = greater cost of device

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    of course without a data plan the blackberry is more.. On rogers the 8700 is only $100 bucks more, or $50 bucks more if you don't count the mail-in rebate..

3yr - $549.99 in store
    $50 mail-in
    $499 after rebate

no contact - $599

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    How will they know if I'm using a BB? Why can't I use a regular dataplan to access the web?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greensubmariner
    How will they know if I'm using a BB? Why can't I use a regular dataplan to access the web?
    With a blackberry you have to use a BB data plan. It is the only way to get data (emial, web, anything like that)

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.....

I think this is only for IDEN networks. My gf has used a blackberry (7280 and 7290) for over a year and never had a data plan. She liked the BB because of the qwerty board for texting. GSM carriers or any carriers for that matter, will only try to convince you to add a data plan if you are just signing up. If you already have a voice plan, then you can just buy a BB on ebay and pop your SIM in and be ready to go. I know this is the case for Cingular and T-mobile.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can also buy a BB device on eBay, put in your SIM card, and use it as phone only. That's what I do. No one is gonna hunt you down and make sign up for a BB plan

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3/Galaxy Note 4
    Feedback Score
    After having asked this same question myself 4 months ago and watching countless others ask the same question.

This needs to be a STICKY
    PHT

Email: [email protected]

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast