Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: battery conditioning

Device(s)
    env3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

battery conditioning

Just wondering the best way to keep the cell phones battery living strong...

would it make sense to try to kill the battery all the way before charging again, keeping the charge memory long, instead of charging with half life left?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    todays phone batteries have no memory so there is no need to drain it and then charge it anymore. i dont know of anything to make it last longer or anything.

White Plains, NY (Home) Ithaca, NY (College)
    Device(s)
    LG EnV + Moto H500
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    in order to get the maximum life out of your battery, follow the manual in terms of the initial charge. for instance, the lg manuals say to fully charge the battery before using the phone. you can still play with the phone at the beginning, just make sure it is plugged in and charging.

Device(s)
    env3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    hey does playing mp3's off the 8100 kill the battery a lot? Or will a full charge last all day with say 3 hours of mp3 listening?

Device(s)
    hero
    Carrier(s)
    sprint,
    Feedback Score
    the media player does not drain the battery as much as voice or data will.

according to modern thinking its best to charge the battery often and never let it drain all the way. while all articles i read say it has no memory, they say partial charges are better and that letting it fully drain will hurt it, although apparently the phones have technology to not let it fully drain and it turns off before that. no memory but partial charges and not fully draining doesnt make sense, but ive read several articles from legitimate sources (scientific american, etc) that all say the same thing?

Device(s)
    Motorola W 385
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One thing you can do to prolong the life of your battery is not to over charge it. Some people may keep it plugged in for over 24 hours and that harms the battery.
    Disclaimer: Any posts I may start or reply to are my opinions only. I am not an engineer, sales consultant, or a wireless phone professional. I provide responses purely for discussion purposes. Always call your Carrier for accurate answers.

Device(s)
    env3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmm..so the battery doesnt stop charging when its fully charged?

Device(s)
    XV6800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by New2verizon
    One thing you can do to prolong the life of your battery is not to over charge it. Some people may keep it plugged in for over 24 hours and that harms the battery.
    I've always seen this as a myth. I've left my phone charging for prolonged beyond the charge complete message and nothing bad has ever happened. I've done this with several of my gadgets over the years and nothing bad has happened to the battery or equipment. One time my VX6000 wasn't holding a charge and I thought it was the battery. When I took it to the store I find out it was actually the phone (must have been all of those falls that broke several of the screw sockets). Point is, eventually your battery will begin to show it's age but in the early years it'll be as fit as the day you bought it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by New2verizon
    This is an infuriating myth promoted by Verizon Wireless to avoid fixing battery problems. The battery in my 8100 died after 6 months and the local Verizon store refuses to replace the battery or phone or even properly diagnose the problem. The diagnosis they performed was to place the battery on the table and spin it around. Apparently this magical test confirms the battery is bulging or warped which can only mean that it has been “over charged”. They contend that I have abused the phone by violating the charge time stated in the user manual. To my surprise they point to the section of the manual that states how long it takes to charge a battery and claim that I must not leave the phone connected to the charger more than 4 hours. So leaving the phone connected to the charger over night is a violation of the user manual and caused my battery to die. Since I damaged the battery they will not replace it under the one year warranty. With tech support like this I should go back cingular (at least I wouldn’t expect better service).

Device(s)
    Motorola W 385
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just to let you guys know, the info I gave was actually from speaking with manufactures such as Nokia, Motorola, and Ericcson back in the day. If you leave the battery charging over night nothing will happen. If you leave the battery charging for like 48 hours maybe nothing happens. But over a month or 2 if you keep doing this then yes you can eventually damage the battery. From a couple of times I doubt there would be any damage. To give some of you credit, I have not kept up with manufactures for several years. So maybe now they are designed more durable in over charging. I honestly don't know. Thinking about it now my cordless phone is always charging and no harm ever came and its meant to be that way. So maybe technology changed.

Device(s)
    LG VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kellybrf
    the media player does not drain the battery as much as voice or data will.

according to modern thinking its best to charge the battery often and never let it drain all the way. while all articles i read say it has no memory, they say partial charges are better and that letting it fully drain will hurt it, although apparently the phones have technology to not let it fully drain and it turns off before that. no memory but partial charges and not fully draining doesnt make sense, but ive read several articles from legitimate sources (scientific american, etc) that all say the same thing?
    This is 100% correct. As far as overcharging goes, I'm pretty sure that any of the new phones out there will automatically cut off the connection when it is fully charged and prevent overcharging. This may have some fuzzy areas, say, if you are using a cheap rapid charger bought from an internet auction site.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBizzle
    This is 100% correct. As far as overcharging goes, I'm pretty sure that any of the new phones out there will automatically cut off the connection when it is fully charged and prevent overcharging. This may have some fuzzy areas, say, if you are using a cheap rapid charger bought from an internet auction site.
    You're absolutely right about that. Notice how the phone and the charger -- which both get warm during charging -- go stone cold once the display indicates charging is complete.

Device(s)
    DROID X is awesome
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I asked this question not too long ago. The lithium ion batteries do not have memory. to prolong the life of your LG battery, never let it run completely down. It works best if you keep it charged and try to keep it half full or more. what causes the battery to warp and die is HEAT. They recommend that you keep your spare battery in cold conditions like a refrigerator. If you keep your phone in direct sunlight in the car or home, it will kill your battery.

Feedback Score
    A proper diagnosis of my battery problem would have been excessive use of VCAST and web services on the 8100: not "over charging". These services rapidly drain the battery causing over heating which leads to physical damage and early death of the battery. The larger extended battery is better suited to power a phone with heavy VCAST and web usage.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    seems like a lot of people here understand batteries, but some are still spreading hearsay as fact.

/*The straight facts -
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible."

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate."

/*Or for a more blunt reading on the "Memory" effect in rechargeable -
    http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

“"Memory effect" is now used as a general term for anything that makes a battery not deliver its full capacity. What the term originally referred to, though, is a phenomenon that's probably never actually been observed in consumer hardware.”

“Batteries don't last forever. The older they get, the less capacity they have. Live with it."
    surlaw eht ma i

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast