Thread: Outside LCD always on w/o hacking "How To"

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K790a w/1GB M2
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Cool Outside LCD always on w/o hacking "How To"

I figured out how to keep the outside screen always on WITHOUT having to hack your phone and it can be done right in the service menu. All you have to to is:

*NOTE: This was done on the verizon vx8100 don't know about other versions of the phone like telus.

Open phone and hit ok.

Then press 0.

Enter 000000 (6 0's) to enter the service menu.

Go to #2 Field Tests.

Then go down to the 11'th option which is "Power Save Mode"and press "OK".

Select off then press "OK" one last time.

Voila!!! Your screen will never turn off. It will only dim slighly where as before it would dim, and then eventually go black. I'm pretty sure it won't drain your battery that much more but I didn't choose to keep it on this option and I also have the extended battery. I haven't seen a post on how to do this safely or without hacking your phone through BitPim and changing files around. This is the safe way. Although I don't know the longterm effects, (I don't think there will be any negative), ***I WILL NOT AND CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE MUCKS UP!***

Do this at your own risk.
    Hope all is happy!!!
    Last edited by a9ballbr8k; 05-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Device(s)
    S^msung SCH-u740 (Now)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, period.
    Feedback Score
    Yeah i did the same thing with my VX9800, since i make it a habit of plugging my phone into the charger on a nightly basis, it doesnt seem to matter to me if it drains more battery power.

From my experience (i've had it set this way since Dec.) battery life does decrease, but not to a point where it will be annoying. I have at one point used my phone regularly for a weekend without charging it on this setting and did not encounter the phone having to shut itself off.

Cool thing is, though, that if you do need to stretch your battery for some reason, you can use this method in reverse to turn on the powersave option.

Feedback Score
    or, you can do this in a quicker fashion....go into service menu. Go to the second to last option (#10) "battery test" and select "yes".

boom same result, just faster.