Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: M600i One Day Impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skagen
    Specs for M600i says:
    * Dual Mode UMTS 2100 MHz, triple band GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz

Its a 3G phone full fledged. Dont paint it as somehow inferior. If the network is not availble in your area becuase your phone company chose not to provide it, that is another story. But people in Sweden for instance do not use this as a mere GPRS phone.
    Read the post above mine and you will see I'm not painting this as an inferior phone but rather responding to a Boston TMO user who was inquiring about EDGE support considering he lives in the USA, not Sweden.

I would love to live in Sweden and have 3G support on this phone but alas I am in the Bay Area, as noted in my post.

BTW, the E61 has 850/900/1800/1900/2100 WCDMA (3G) and wifi so, technically speaking, from a bandwidth support frequency, the M600i is inferior.

Device(s)
    Current: Nokia 6555, E61i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RxistKJ
    I had the MDA for a couple about 1 day before I decided WM5 was too buggy and TMO level 2 support told me they didn't support OTA Exchange Activesync! I also didn't like having to slide the keyboard down to type an e-mail--difficult with one hand.

Actually, the M600i web browser isn't bad but I miss the E61's zoom function and wifi option.

One other thing I noticed is that on the E61 the $6 T-Zones GPRS plan was enough while the M600i requires the $20 plan.

As much as I love the form factor of the M600i, I have a feeling I'm going to sell it unless Sony/DataViz release some updates soon.

why won't the M600 support WAP/TZones? can you provide more insight?

thanks
    -matt

Feedback Score
    Matt,

Good question--unfortunately I don't have an answer. When I spoke with the TMO customer service Rep. and told him the apparent difference between the E61 and M600i and the ability to access my exchange server with only a $6 T-Zones account, his reply was "it's not supposed to work". I then asked him if anything was done on their back end that could differentiate between the 2 and he did not know.

Chances are I'm going to switch back to my E61 as it's software is far more stable. When I do, I'll try the $6 plan again.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8G / HTC Touch / Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    SmarTone-Vodafone (HK)
    Feedback Score
    I wanna know whwther M600i can support M2 > 1gig? I know that the largest capacity is 1gig atm but when they make 2 gig or greater, would the phone recognize it?
    How can I be sure I'm a human being?
    What if I'm really something else - like a potato - and I just think I'm a human being

I think, therefore I'm a yam.

Device(s)
    M600i, P990, W850
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanon
    I wanna know whwther M600i can support M2 > 1gig? I know that the largest capacity is 1gig atm but when they make 2 gig or greater, would the phone recognize it?
    ofc, the limit of m2 cards is 34 or 36 Gb I think and the phone will support the max limit aswell(34/36 Gb), that is the magic with MS slots!
    Phones i have right now:
    to many

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8G / HTC Touch / Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    SmarTone-Vodafone (HK)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraTT
    ofc, the limit of m2 cards is 34 or 36 Gb I think and the phone will support the max limit aswell(34/36 Gb), that is the magic with MS slots!
    Sweet~ I just got myself a 1gig M2 card. Do you know when will the bigger card come out?

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RxistKJ
    Read the post above mine and you will see I'm not painting this as an inferior phone but rather responding to a Boston TMO user who was inquiring about EDGE support considering he lives in the USA, not Sweden.

I would love to live in Sweden and have 3G support on this phone but alas I am in the Bay Area, as noted in my post.

BTW, the E61 has 850/900/1800/1900/2100 WCDMA (3G) and wifi so, technically speaking, from a bandwidth support frequency, the M600i is inferior.
    All fine and well and good. Hey it doesnt have analog and GSM 450 either. They shoudl have put that in too just to take care of dinosaurs?

I'm saying is dont write posts that have people thinking this phone is only GPRS - its not. Its a 3G phone which is not just in Swedem but present in all of Europe - for ages ago. Its your network that is deficient and doesn't have 3G and choses to stick with a slower older technology.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skagen
    All fine and well and good. Hey it doesnt have analog and GSM 450 either. They shoudl have put that in too just to take care of dinosaurs?

I'm saying is dont write posts that have people thinking this phone is only GPRS - its not. Its a 3G phone which is not just in Swedem but present in all of Europe - for ages ago. Its your network that is deficient and doesn't have 3G and choses to stick with a slower older technology.
    Skagen--try reading my initial post and stop wasting everyone's time. When you learn how to read (and write for that matter) and stop insulting others, then post again.

Device(s)
    Nextel 7520
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    im using t mo US and have t zones working. Also configured email (pop 3) using earthlink and t mo server settings (via SE website ota plus some manual username and password tweeks) Works great. I push emails every 10 minutes all day long without a hitch ( except battery drain). I love this phone enought to leave my blackberry home most days now.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid - DroidMod 1.0
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got T-Mobile's WAP/Tzones working via Sony Ericsson website configurator. Also have MMS working. I have my roadrunner pop3 email account working on the phone, checking every 20 minutes and that works fine too. I wouldn't consider myself an office power user, so I think this phone is good for me for now. I just leave contacts, messaging running in the background and the today screen up, and its plenty quick for me.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to I install themes on the phone. I downloaded it from SE to the phone and it's in my documents folder. It has an extension .dd but the phone doesnt know what to do with it. If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it, thanks.
    Last edited by Kman79; 06-24-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid - DroidMod 1.0
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    why won't the M600 support WAP/TZones? can you provide more insight?

thanks
    -matt

If you still need help configuring it for WAP or Tzones go here on Sony Ericsson's Site

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...s1_1&pid=10385

It'll set it up step by step, you can configure MMS on that site too. Hope that helps

Device(s)
    LG VX-8550 Blue Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since we are on the subject of 3G, will this phone work on Cingular's 3G Network. The reason I ask is bc its 2100mhz UMTS, but is that what Cingular's 3G is?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsibble
    I'm starting to agree. I think this is a great phone but it's not entirely there yet. Coming from a BB7105 which had 8+ years of software development behind it, the M600i doesn't really compare. Sad considering how much I really like it

As for battery life, I sync with Exchange every 5 minutes (I have to, that's what this phone is for!) and I BARELY get 24 hours out of it. Push will help with that but my IT director isn't very interested in installing SP2.
    I'm getting awful battery life with Exchange ActiveSync running. Less than 18 hours. This phone really makes me question whether I just wasted a lot of money for no reason.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsibble
    I've figured that one out. I had a blackberry for 3 years and was severely addicted so I know what you mean.

The M600i is designed to be used by the stylus when you'd really be using the scroll wheel. I actually feel more comfortable scrolling with my left and using the stylus with my right. Once you get used to it it makes more sense. The only REALLY annoying thing is that I like to keep the phone in my right pocket......so I have to take out the phone with my right hand, switch it to my left (and switch whatever I'm carrying to my right). Gets confusing......
    The jog dial on the M600i is really poorly done from a pure plastics point of view. Why is there a bevel (a plastic extended bit) *in front* of hte jog dial? It should be behind or not ther eat all (I know it's a guard). It makes the dial ridiculously difficult to operate. Plus the dial is not smooth in the least - unlike the BB which is like silk. Pushing the button in is also a pain in the ***.

On an unrelated note, has anyone figured out a quicker way to lock/unlock the phone? ALT-X-TOUCH SCREEN is complicated and so is TOUCH-SCREEN, DROP DOWN MENU-LOCK.

-h

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hkanji
    The jog dial on the M600i is really poorly done from a pure plastics point of view. Why is there a bevel (a plastic extended bit) *in front* of hte jog dial? It should be behind or not ther eat all (I know it's a guard). It makes the dial ridiculously difficult to operate. Plus the dial is not smooth in the least - unlike the BB which is like silk. Pushing the button in is also a pain in the ***.

On an unrelated note, has anyone figured out a quicker way to lock/unlock the phone? ALT-X-TOUCH SCREEN is complicated and so is TOUCH-SCREEN, DROP DOWN MENU-LOCK.

-h
    I agree, the jog dial with the lip cover is a poor design, particularly in comparison to a Blackberry.

The quickest way I have found to unlock the phone is to hold the "back" button underneath the jog dial down until it locks the phone. Another shortcut, which may have already been mentioned, is turning the sound on/off by by pushing and holding the jog dial first and then pushing the # key.

I have an unrelated question with regards to ActiveSync: anybody having issues with Calendar synchronization continuosuly failing due to a "Symbian Error [-6]: bad request"?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast